free hit
counters
Vacuum Take Off - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
matk

Vacuum Take Off

Car developed a strong "phut phut" sound that was engine speed related yesterday. Quick investigation showed that there was a pipe coming off the inlet manifold under vacuum leading to what looked like nowhere. Blocking the end stopped the noise, and the engine idle improved in smoothness, so I'm sure I have the culprit. Some pics....

21042010751.jpg

21042010752.jpg

Question is what does it do? I've seen what I think it should be attached to. which is a pipe that seems to run along the back of the passenger side headlight pod. I've reattached it and all seems well, but where does it go? I would have said vacuum for the light motors, but it's a very late S2 Riviera, so has electric motors. Anyone shed some light?

21042010753.jpg

21042010754.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's an anti phutt phutt device.

(or could be something to do with your heater control flaps or your brake servo?)

The metal bit is the one-way valve.

Do your headlights operate OK?

Does your heater operate OK?

Hi Matt, from memory it goes to a vacume pod in the left hand side of the passenger footwell, behind the panel. It is part of the ineterior heater setup and aids operation of the heater flaps to direct heat to different parts of the cabin.

Regards Dan

its for the heating system (flaps).

you can be lucky that the hose did not went into the open running cambelt!!!

thats why i always mention my concerns if a car is advertized and the cambelt cover is missing.

it has a reason why its fitted!!!

thats right and orginal there is also a polyester plate between the engine and the radiateur (you can see the hole's where to fit it) they are always also missing, and the orginal airbox also sometimes,