free hit
counters
Best acid-free brake dust alloy wheel cleaner - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Best acid-free brake dust alloy wheel cleaner

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Autoglym stuff, does the trick nicely but the easiest way is to keep on top of the dust and don't let it get too comfy on your wheels. It only takes a minute to give them a rinse at the weekend, makes cleaning much easier :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have used Auto Glym for years and years and found it brilliant. BEWARE...there are two products made by them that you might think suitable for wheel cleaning and one specifically tells you not to use it on alloy wheels. It even tells you NEVER to use it on motorbike wheels ( presumably because it is acid based and designed for cleaning heavy deposits of dirt from other types of metals).

The one I have is called...wait for it...Wheel Cleaner. Comes in a white plastic container with label with orange writing on. Squeezy trigger type thing application.thumbsup.gif

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

This one then?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoglym-Custom-Acid-Free-Alloy-Chrome-Wheel-Cleaner_W0QQitemZ360247555838QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=2bbcd53b1250a0aad3a743a7fd1f6ae5

And yep, I plan to keep the wheels as clean as poss but as I'm still stuck in house moving limbo, my car lives in my friends garage and they have to shuffle cars on their driveway each time I want to get mine in or out so I feel bad for having to hassle them :)

Photography portfolio - www.rache.co.uk

Yep, that's the one! Available in most good motor factors and ocassionally at car shows where you might get it a bit cheaper if they have stock not suitable for shop shelves i.e.the labels are damaged or the containers a bit crushedrolleyes.gif

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

• 1 month later...

The Autoglym with the orange label mentioned acids on the ingredients label, I gather that's the one to avoid.............

Halfords are doing a 3 for 2 on all Autoglym stuff so I will get the wheel cleaner, bug remover, and the alloy wheel sealant too - may as well as it's a freebie :thumbsup:

Edited by Flump

Photography portfolio - www.rache.co.uk

I used to use wonder wheels which I found fine, but when that run out used Halfords own brand foam wheel cleaner (on a friends recommendation), which was crap.

Just bought wonder wheels again in a trigger bottle which I will be testing this weekend on my company vans wheels - if it clears that I will be very impressed!

Edited by Nelly9000

Autoglym do a 'Custom Wheel Cleaner' which is gentler on wheels, it's what I use :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have only ever used Wonder Wheels for the last 15 years or so and have found no issues on any cars alloys. However I never allow it to dry in, always rinse well and it does need constant agitation with an old toothbrush being my tool of choice.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009