free hit
counters
V8 Alternator Question - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Feffman

V8 Alternator Question

Hi All:

Well the ordeal continues. Looks like the alternator on my 1999 is kaput. It's a 90AMP Valeo alternator. Would it be beneficial to have it rewound to produce 120AMPS or save teh extra rebuild money and have it rebuilt stock? Any and all help appreciated.

Feff

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Hi All:

Well the ordeal continues.  Looks like the alternator on my 1999 is kaput.  It's a 90AMP Valeo alternator.  Would it be beneficial to have it rewound to produce 120AMPS or save teh extra rebuild money and have it rebuilt stock?  Any and all help appreciated.

Feff

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello,

I am new to this forum and also accidently posted this same sort of response in the general chat area...I don't know if this will help however I recently took delivery of my 2002 Esprit V8 and as luck would have it the first drive led to a broke down new toy. Simple troubleshooting led to an inop alternator...I did some homework and found a post in the UK forums that claimed a Vauxhaul/Opel Omega alternator is the same AKA Cadillac Catera here in the US. If you go to your local GM dealer and order a 2001 Cadillac Catera Alternator, they will hand you a 120 Amp Bosch that I have just installed and it works beautiful! I have owned and serviced numerous exotic cars and also own and run an aircraft maintenance facility near Cincinnati so this truly does work. Also note, that the old alternator for some reason blew the low volt light on the dash (battery symbol) after installing the 120 amp Bosch it still wasn't functioning correctly, I referenced my wiring prints for the car and found that strange enough this lamp also completes the D+ circuit (small wire on the alternator) and with that inop you will be dead in the water. This lamp can be purchased at Auto Zone, as for removing the lamp it took exactly 15 minutes! None or some of this may help you but I thought I'd share the data, if you ever encounter it...

Contact me via E-mail if you wish at [email protected] as there is one simple thing you must do to the Bosch rear cover before installing, I can explain in depth if you head that route.......My car runs great and the wife loves it........Half the money of the Ferrari I almost bought and a ton more performance, I'm glad I made the right decision...

Good luck!

Ian Roberts