free hit
counters
New Car Thread Chat: Lotus APX - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New Car Thread Chat: Lotus APX

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2+2 Esprit sounds prety cool actually.  I wouldnt mind buying a 2+2 Esprit.. be looking fierce in one you know.. a sedan sports car in the high 12secs low 13's! 

Pimping!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2+2 would be odd in a mid engine layout...

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

It has been a bit on the ugly side in the Mondial, 308 gt4 and a few others...

The Uracco and Bora (it was 2+2 wan't it?) pulled it off nicely :lol:

I would have been more pleased with the Europa in general if it were a 2+2... it really needed that to differentiate it from the Elise. And while its proportions are ugly as a coupe, they would have been acceptable as a 2+2 :D

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Deary me, some of you guys really can't see beyond of your own little noses! :P

goldybowl.jpg

Im glad Kimbers has already rocked up and explained what this is all about.

Personally I think it looks awesome - better than a poxy Multipla or X5 or Cayenne or.. or.. or... In a world of bland crap, surely something that looks like a Cylon battle cruiser is a GOOD thing?! :P

Yet it goes faster than my Esprit! :D

It's nothing to do with 'us' or supposed die-hard Lotus Fans... it's an engineering company touting for business plain and simple.

Cross subsidisation is the way Lotus has always survived and without the other parts of the business, we won't get a new supercar, end of!

I wouldn't mind at all seeing this as a Lotus Badged product. Bim and Porker do these sorts of things, both look like shite in comparison and this would waste the lot of them! :lol:

No shame in that!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Is it just me or is the Civic Type R going to be running high 13 secons 1/4 mile? Smoking Esprits....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toua,

:D you know this is an Esprit forum right? :lol: it may be a great car but its still a civic and wont ever be an esprit. sell your civic and buy a g-car. slade and i are around your age and have g-cars. come on, give in to the temptation...

Shah

2+2 is a great idea.. the new aston with 2+2 looks great!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it ain't mid engined.

I don't care how fast a civic can go. And for those who do, I believe you would have to mod the sh!t out of any current civic to get it going that fast anyways... Even a Type R (which you can't get over here) if I'm not mistaken. The current Si's performance figures (pretty much the same powertrain as the old Type R) don't seem to be up to just about any Esprit made after 1980 or so.

Not what you do, it's the way that you do it :lol: And the Esprit can still do plenty. Maybe the rest of the world is slowly catching up to the Esprit, but most cars (hondas included) are still hard pressed to keep up, especially if you own an S4s or a V8 :D

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Deary me, some of you guys really can't see beyond of your own little noses! :lol:

goldybowl.jpg

Im glad Kimbers has already rocked up and explained what this is all about.

Personally I think it looks awesome - better than a poxy Multipla or X5 or Cayenne or.. or.. or... In a world of bland crap, surely something that looks like a Cylon battle cruiser is a GOOD thing?! :D

Yet it goes faster than my Esprit! :(

It's nothing to do with 'us' or supposed die-hard Lotus Fans... it's an engineering company touting for business plain and simple.

Cross subsidisation is the way Lotus has always survived and without the other parts of the business, we won't get a new supercar, end of!

I wouldn't mind at all seeing this as a Lotus Badged product. Bim and Porker do these sorts of things, both look like shite in comparison and this would waste the lot of them! :P

No shame in that!

Cheers again mate.

What is interesting and only 1 persona has picked up on it was the Engine...

It's a Lotus 6 Cylinder, not a borrowed 4 or 8 (like the one going in the new Esprit) But an actual Lotus Engine. GODS!! What next a Supercar version of the new Esprit in V12 format...................... :P Doh

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Im SUUURE I've seen that engine before...

AHHHHH!

arch_13b.jpeg

Lotus have a thing about crap looking engines.... that go like buggery stink!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Yes, I am looking to sell my Mitsubishi 3000gt and my Civic for a G-car but there isnt one for sale anywhere.. got any good places.. whats the insurance on one of those.. preferably s2-s3 80's - G series..!

Toua,

send me an email (Shah.Selbe@gmail.com). I may know of some people selling pretty clean g-cars over near by you...

Oh and for me, insurance is about $200 a year. I have classics insurance through AAA so thats a plus...

Shah

I have narrowed down the G car I want.. either the Turbo Esprits from the 80's or one like Slade's Turbo Esprit HC (in red). Never had much or no experience with Carbs before and dry sump. So it is somethin I have to learn on the way. But the T3 Garret turbo sounds entising..8psi stock eh.. is it safe to push it to 10psi. I know for my civic, it can only handle 6psi before everything goes KABOOOM!

How much is that gonna run me...in US curreny.. I know i can get like $8000 - $7000 for my 3000gt(GTO in UK) and $2500 for my civic.. I can afford it if its around $10,000..

knowing all the problems I keep reading about the later Esprits, I need a well kept one.. (since I am a newbie to owning one!)

classic insurance for $200 (wow! you got some good rates.. or super clean record!) .. is that full coverage? I would be driving it everyday as a daily driver, so for example, I put about 1,000 - 1,500 miles on my civic a month just commuting to College! I dont think my insurance (American Family Insurance) is going to give me that good of deal for kClassic. Is there like a limited miles you can have on the car every year?

With an Esprit, who knows how many more gf's i can get!

Edited by Toua

never heard you say you had a 3000gt before... I'm assuming its not a VR4? If it was I wouldn't mind it at all B) No Esprit though :angry:

Compliment to my car as your example. Thanks :D but it's neither carb nor dry sump. 86/87 US cars used Bosch K Jetronic Fuel injection, which is a bitch to work on.

I'd advise getting an earlier carbed car.

They got rid of dry sump before any TEs hit our shores I believe.

Prices seem to have gone up recently for G cars ;) I'd recommend saving up 15k for a nice one. And plenty in reserves for repairs :lol: (PLENTY.)

I won't mess with the boost in my car. Just because 8 is a "small" number doesn't mean the car is slow (though I thought it was 6 psi stock). Still plenty enough to deliver better performance than most things.

slade

Edited by slade

Yeah, I have a 93 3000gt with 92,000miles on it.. dark Green 5spd.. good condition..its all payed off so I dont really want to get rid of it...but for a Turbo Esprit.. anyday!

Wow that sucks, I really wanted a Carb one too with dry sump .. good for high revving..wanted to modify to rev like 10,000rpms! (as if i can afford it in the first place..Stupid Initial D influence!)

yeah, I like the HC, it looks nice. Even if the compression was only raised up to 8:?:?.. high tec back in the daysk! I want that big ass TURBO ESPRIT standing out!.. I need to put that decal on my CIVIC.

G-Turbo-NoBackground_03.gif

That gold decal looks awesome..without it.. the car kinda.. sucks. I think thats one of its best features just like the stripes on the Essex..

by the way, did the US get the Essex. wouldnt mind this one either

Thats gay, I want a Turbo Esprit though.. it has the cool side skirts .. I believe the s2 - s3 dont have it. The turbos look better too.

knowing all the problems I keep reading about the later Esprits, I need a well kept one.. (since I am a newbie to owning one!)

classic insurance for $200 (wow!  you got some good rates.. or super clean record!) .. is that full coverage?  I would be driving it everyday as a daily driver, so for example, I put about 1,000 - 1,500 miles on my civic a month just commuting to College!  I dont think my insurance (American Family Insurance) is going to give me that good of deal for kClassic.  Is there like a limited miles you can have on the car every year? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recommend waiting a bit until you have a little more money coming in. You may need to spring for some repairs depending on if the previous owner told the truth or not. I found the S1/S2 carbed cars running from around $8000-$15000 in the US. The $15,000-ish though was a beautiful JPS that had a lot of work done and most of its hardware repaced with aerospace grade. Great car....

So i think that if you want a turbo, to save at least $15000. That should get you a resectable example if you look around enough. You should be a little more lucky as well because there are more of those guys than the S2 that I was looking for. And I wouldnt suggest it as a daily driver. At least not your ONLY daily driver....

And the insurance is full coverage, limited mileage classics insurance. I think that I am limited to 7500 miles a year but my car is only a weekend car. Plus my record is clean for the last 4 years. And the car is garaged. And I get a discount for being an engineer! :angry: Thats how its so rediculously cheap...

Shah

Shah and me think alike it seems. Anyways Toua, the tradeoff is that higher performance means things break earlier. (FLCL reference. Toua, why are you bringing out the Asian nerd in me today?)

I don't think it would be wise to modify even a dry sump Esprit to rev to 10k, and wet sump isn't a limitation as long as you keep the engine mods well in the sane limit.

If all you want are stripes and sideskirts, they're cheaper to just buy alone if you dislike the rest of the car. I took the stripes off of mine, and I'd rather have the styling of an S1 or Shah's car, with no sideskirts to tell you the truth. Looks cleaner.

Less Asian :angry:

slade

Edited by slade

I need to put that decal on my CIVIC.

by the way, did the US get the Essex. wouldnt mind this one either

Thats gay, I want a Turbo Esprit though.. it has the cool side skirts .. I believe the s2 - s3 dont have it.  The turbos look better too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay...

Dont put those decals on your civic...

I do not think the US got the Essex....

And the S2 dont have the same side skirts, the S3 have the same...

And the S2s look the best...

Lotus20Esprit20009.jpg

esps203.jpg

S1SideFront.jpg

untitled.jpg

Shah

:angry:

It never ceases to amaze me how we get off the tread of these posts so quickly. First we're talkin about the new Lotus MPV, then the Civic, which becomes a new Lotus Engine (and you guys still wanna talk about other stuff........ITS A NEW LOTUS ENGINE!!!...Sod the fact it's a 6 cylinder, if it's Lotus you can guarantee it will be better than any old Poxy BMW V8.........) and then we are on to Decals!!!

Sometimes I just wanna cry. :lol:

So did I say....ITS A LOTUS ENGINE!!!......All you Esprit fanatics remember the concept of the S1? 4 cylinder, lightweight, cheap, etc etc. Sometimes I think the worst thing they did was put a V8 in it............

I feel a new post coming on......

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

haha...

i was actually just thinking about the way these thread jump around so much... gives the board character...

new Lotus engine is great. I can wait to see it out of that hideous minivan...

oh and i wouldnt have minded a V8 in the esprit from the 4-cylinder if it was this one...

909v8a.jpg

Shah

why should we be surprised that lotus has made another great engine? that's what they do. (or used to do).

What is shocking is things like the APX. or the prospect of Toua... driving an Esprit :angry:

I don't care if it's the best SUV in the world. The fact that of all things, that's what Lotus is parading around... A sedan I can understand. I can even understand a hatchback. I don't want to see Lotus turn into Porsche. Lotus makes sports cars. Even if this thing isn't branded as a Lotus, bandying it around as a Lotus doesn't do much for their image IMO.

Even if they do bring in more money... Even though I know they've always done stuff like the APX... 4x4s and whatnont... they kept it undercover, where it belonged :lol:

slade

Edited by slade

why should we be surprised that lotus has made another great engine? that's what they do. (or used to do).

What is shocking is things like the APX. or the prospect of Toua... driving an Esprit :angry:

I don't care if it's the best SUV in the world. The fact that of all things, that's what Lotus is parading around... A sedan I can understand. I can even understand a hatchback. I don't want to see Lotus turn into Porsche. Lotus makes sports cars. Even if this thing isn't branded as a Lotus, bandying it around as a Lotus doesn't do much for their image IMO.

Even if they do bring in more money... Even though I know they've always done stuff like the APX... 4x4s and whatnont...

Edited by Kimbers

alright... maybe I should modify my definition of sports car to "not an SUV". Hatchbacks, sedans, 2+2 coupes... nothing against them.

But SUVs. I admit a huge bias against them, proudly. Well alright I'll concede a bit... it's not really an SUV either is it? If Lotus made an offroader so hardcore it could crush hummvees and eliminate the need for roadways entirely, I wouldn't have minded that either. But no, it's a fake little "crossover".

And again. I don't care if they can make money doing it. But... I don't think Lotus should cater to the lowest common denominator by flagrantly stating that they designed it. Sell it, let someone else take the credit, pocket the cash, make something they want to make.

Lotus can't be populated by people who want to make crossover SUVs?

Their point is to make sporty, proper cars (my word for non SUVs :angry:)

Like you said, these topics have been getting way off topic.

So... Here's to a 4 cylinder in the new Esprit!!! :lol: (uhh... oops, wrong topic :D)

slade

Edited by slade