Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil filler Cap - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil filler Cap

slewthy

OK, I'm redoing the camcovers at the moment and the horrible orange oil filler cap just seems out of place.

I've seen other cars with shiny 3 tabbed ones and am envious.

I checked on SJs and he only seems to sell the orange type, and at £29.99!!!!!!

So, what type should my car have, and are they obtainable?

Mine is a S3 N/A from 1986. It has the flat cam covers held down by 3 bolts - I think that makes it a late 1986 type.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the person that knows, it is a standard GM part, but when I trawled the local breakers I could not find a GM one, maybe they stopped using them a long time ago. Perhaps the US members could help cross reference it.

I had an '82 & an '85 S3, both of which had the two pin type of filler hole with the chrome filler cap fitted, the same as the old Elans & Europas. The quality of the chrome was nowhere near as good as the old car's and they soon became corroded & looked crap.

Cheers,

John W

Yep, mine is threaded.

Maybe I should look for an alternative that isnt so...orange.

I sprayed mine with an aerosol can! Any colour you like, then...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yep, not a bad idea.

I could do straight black or maybe even wrinkle....not sure. Definitely worth trying though.

Cheers

Typical - just when I think I've reached a reasonable solution,

Started to clean up the filler cap to see if it could be painted and it turns out the threaded portion has virtually separated from the cap part.

So, I now need a new cap.

So, since its the screw version, assuming I cant get the silvery nice one, is it still a GM fitting or does something else fit?

Anyone got a spare of any description?

I struggled to find anything exact;y right (surprising since it's GM, but you could try eBay in the USA). I used a cap from a Japanese car (Toyota I think), I had to adjust the thread slightly, but it's black.

Andy

I might take my cam cover to a breakers and see what fits, or as you say, nearly fits. I'll try Lotus bits aswell

Hi Simon,

I'll ask my local garage, I think the Lotus ones were designed so you couldn't over tighten them unless I am getting my wires crossed?

Some Toyota ones fit. I have a silver aluminium one. I'll see if it fits an 86 cover.

David

David,

Thanks for your bother. Mine looks like its either been overtightened or maybe even pried off at some point.

It will be good to find a definitive replacement if one exists. Clearly Andy C has been around the houses there already though.

The type Simon has (If I am correct) is a larger thread than the type with the clicky thing that prevents over-tightening. I have one of the chrome ones for my later engine with the smaller threaded hole, and a three lug metal one on the S3 (for the type in Simon's link), it's that intermediate type that's been a pain to source.