free hit
counters
Fuel Pumps - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel Pumps

Top of the mornin' to ya'll...

Well removal and bench testing confirmed my fears of dead fuel pumps on my Baby....

It has the standard Bosch Pumps on it which are the same as the early Mercedes as well as Porsche 911 turbo from 78 - 92.

Part number is: 0 580 354 979

My question is, has anyone put in after market pumps with success and if so what were they and how much $? I can get genuine ones but they are such an old pump and so expensive compared to other better spec pumps on the market.

These are the in line pumps that were on the US Spec 88 build Stevens cars with K-Jetronic Injection and Turbo.

0580254979.gif

Thanks in advance,

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Was gonna go back to Bosch but at $400+ for a pump its a bit steep... I can get a performance unit for similar money.

Would go for Fleabay but dont want a used one, I want one that has a warranty and some sort of support.

A mate suggested I get an ACA pump which are the same specs as the Bosch unit. Have you ever heard of them?

Any pump with sufficient flow rate, running off a nominal 12volt electrical system will be fine. Things to consider would be mountings, pipe connections and manufacturer's reputation for reliability..good aftermarket unit would be as good as the original, nothing magic about original parts, with Lotus they're probably the cheapest satisfactory units they could source at the time!!

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

...(Roger) Thanks mate, those guys are cheaper than Australia for sure. It works out at $270 each delivered here from the States. Although I may have to pay duty on them as the seller will not write gift on the package, rather only what the item is. I think that if he puts vintage auto parts then I escape paying the duty as this is what they put on my Mahle Pistons and Liners from the UK.

... (Molemot) Yeh that was typical of them throughout the history of Lotus. I think the front indicators were off a tractor and the mirrors a Morris Marina as well as the door handles and interior switches from a land rover... ahh the price of owning a supercar... my car actually had a turned wooden gearknob that looked like it was from the 1950's. I store it on display in the Lotus Bar now and have had an alloy one turned up to make it a bit more modern looking and to shorten the shift a bit.

Am waiting for a price back on an aftermarket pump from ACA. Looks like the Bosch from the US will be the likely anecdote though, thanks again for the link Roger...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I found a local bloke here in Mt Cotton who got me the genuine Bosch pumps for $280 delivered, overnite!

He mostly deals with trade and most of them are into big american race track cars, but he can source anything at all and wasn't too shabby on the price!

California Speed Supplies.com.au

check em out

• 1 month later...

Oki Doki!

Finally fitted the pump and filter to the beastie...

She is going like she should and is ready for her next hoon!!

So who is up for a Gold Coast Hinterland run?

• 3 months later...

Justin,

Was it a one pump or both?

It is quite amazing that Lotus did not put filter between tank and first pump. I find it negligent. Did you examine your pump? Why did it failed?

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

Hi Justin,

I have ...070 pump, which is from Fiat, Lancia, Jaguar and Austin. Cost was 130€ from a local part store. It looks like original one and works well :)

Here's my old topic, there are some discussion about fuel pumps: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/599-its-broken-now/

Here are the missing photos from that topic:

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

• Like 1

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

hi guys

thanks...

yeh thats the pump alright.

the pump failed due to old age mostly I think and it was just plain worn out.

Car is running like a dream though now although I do need a new ignition switch and keys lol

... anyone know where there is an ignition switch for sale lol?