free hit
counters
Sticking tyre dustcaps - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Beaujolais Dom

Sticking tyre dustcaps

I recently made the narcissistic error of deciding to add to my Europa, and invested in a set of the alloy Lotus dustcaps (bought from the factory).

I went to check the tyre pressures the other day....only to discover that the dustcaps seemed to have fused themselves to the valve.

Anyone else had this problem? Any cunning ideas as to how to loosen them?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They don't have a grub screw. A soaking in WD40 has failed to loosen them, and using a spanner on the cap just leads to the valve stalk itself rotating!

Sounds like it's going to be a trip to your local tyre fitters to pop the tyres off and fit a new set of valves. When you're back home again, put the alloy dustcaps in the bin. Even if you you dollop half a tub of copperslip onto the threads, they will still fuse themselves to the valve within 16 minutes of fitting them.

Black plastic ones eveytime.

No help to you, but I've had logo'd dust caps on all of my Lotus cars for decades and not had one stick yet (despite no copperslip). I usually have the opposite problem in that each year a couple unscrew themselves and jump into some little scroat's pocket......!