free hit
counters
Problems after flying? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Problems after flying?

Paul C

This is a serious thread, two facts first:

1,We went to NY on the 21st and flew back on the 28th, this was the first time for me on a (big) plane and i found the flight and the associated process unremarkable and for the most part boring.

2,I have not had a day off sick for at least 20 years, i do not even know who my doctor is, in fact i have not been to the surgery for at least ten years and that was only to file an asbestos letter.

The story:

The tuesday we were due to leave new york i can remember the exact moment this started, i was in bloomingdales rest room which had a polished floor, i looked down and felt immediately giddy. Later on that day, at the airport before the flight i felt so giddy i had to sit down and ask Vic to get me some water this was six days after the flight in and just before the flight home.

Since we landed on wednesday i have had a dizzy head, with the feeling of blocked ears and slight headache. I read up on the web and have been using nasal decongestant, ear drops, and i have been chewing gum a lot to try to make it ease.

Tonight, nearly a week after we last flew, me and Vicki just walked into town to have an indian. I felt really light headed walking down, and once we were seated the thought of ordering and not being able to leave freaked me out so we left without ordering (VERY not me).

Am going to phone the doctors tomorrow, i can function but it's really bothering me now, i figure if the first instance was 6 days after the flight in then as i'm sat here now 6 days after the flight back it figures i should still have it?

Anyone else get this or have had it?

:cheers:

Me going to the doctors is a once in a decade event so it does worry me a bit TBH.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have blocked ears, try the Valsalva action...close your mouth, pinch your nose between thumb and forefinger, and try to blow your nose..this forces air up the eustacian tubes into the inner ear and equalises pressure. Old dodge from high performance unpressurised aeroplanes..usually the air in the inner ear gets out OK whilst climbing, but getting it back IN again on the descent often takes some effort. In the RAF, we were told that the eustacian tubes of Meteor pilots ended up the size of your little finger, they had such constant pressure changes they adapted!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yep, read that and have been trying it since day 2, not any change and don't want to try it too hard or too much as there are warnings abour eardrum damage if you do so. Have been reading a lot abour virtigo after flying which i hope and suspect this is?

Vicki is going to candle my ears tonight i think.

• Gold FFM

Blood pressure?

I fly all the time and have no such effects. However, an impressive number of people get dizzy etc. on planes and at airports.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Actually, to me this does NOT sound related to flying at all, except as a coincidence. When you use the words "giddy" and "light-headed", are you nauseated? Does it seem like the world is spinning?

As mentioned, this could be an inner ear problem - going by Vestibulitis, or Meniere's Disease. Candling won't help this, but it is reason enough to checked over medically.

Good luck to you, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Got up at 5.30am for work and drove to oxford with the intention of calling the surgery at 8.30 to get a slot later in the day and come home.

Am home now, just walking through the college i was eying up places to stop and sit for a bit. Working on step ladders with power tools and electricity would be bad enough but i walk miles in a day and just can't do it, i could do some sit down work easy but can't do nine hours on my feet. I have a 9.20 apointment with a doctor who has my address as one i have not lived at since 1993, so rare is the 'Paul C going to the doctors' event.

The only time this weekend i have not been dizzy is after some pints, i hope they pescribe that!

Well it's very common to pick up all sorts of bugs after long haul flights. Put that number of people in an enclosed space for that length of time, all breathing recirculated air, it's a recipe for it.

As to what you have and the length of time it's lasting I wouldn't be too concerned. The fact that it is carrying on says to me it could be bacterial. You do def need to see a DR though, much as it might pain you to do so. Once something like that has carried on for a few days you'll prob need some sort of medication to kill it.

I've had a similiar experience when I went to Bangladesh a while back. After the flight there, a few days after I developed a heavy cold, full head, inability to clear my nose and throat. Also though, and what really spooked me, was I became very dizzy and got intense headaches but they always commenced exactly at 6.00 am and went at 12.00 pm, almost like I had an atomic timer in my head.

Turned out I had developed Sinusitis after an infection (prob picked up on the plane). The headaches and dizzyness were being caused by changes in atmospheric pressure as the sun came up each morning and warmed the air. As my tubes were blocked I couldn't equalise the pressure in my head, hence dizzy and headaches.

After getting diagnosed by the Dr, quick injection, 2 days later right as rain.

Go see the quack...

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Paul

I have had a similar experience and it was diagnosed as Labrynthitus (inner ear infection). I have had a inner ear weakness since having Meningitus when I was younger but a bad reaction to the pressure changes on a plane caused me to come down with it on and off for a couple of years.

The fact that you had disorientation in the Curry Restaurant may also point to this as it sometimes includes a feeling that things aren't real, neurosis and feelings of panic.

Read all about it here mate.

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Well it's very common to pick up all sorts of bugs after long haul flights. Put that number of people in an enclosed space for that length of time, all breathing recirculated air, it's a recipe for it.

I have had a similar experience and it was diagnosed as Labrynthitus (inner ear infection).

You two should open up a practice.

Indeed i have Labrynthitus and the doctor said being in an enclosed space with a lot of people for that length of time is how i would have got it.

I'm dizzy but glad, as she said while i got it on the plane (god i hate public transport, on wheels, tracks or wings it's always a tube full of sick people) it was not the flying that caused it. She also said there was nothing she could really do for the infection itself and i had to wait for it to go away which should be soon. So here's my first sick day in 20 years, and she said all week might be an idea due to my working on ladders and that.

Flip side is we have bugger all on so it spreads my work a bit.

:question:

Blood pressure?

As they have not seen me for a decade they checked that, 120/80 which is apparently perfect.

:)

.......my work here is done....................

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I'd imagine that the dog would lodge an objection though!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Erm, dog, Kimbers, that reminds me......

Firstly..

Bibs. What is this about you getting envious about a pack of lube?

Now the rest.

Popped to see Kimbers the other day, his little dog decided to pierce my foot, I knew the bite hurt (so did everybody who heard the scream), didn't realise it broke the skin as badly as it did, so I left two patches of blood on Kimbers carpet.

Glad you've been diagnosed! :cheers:

I got a MASSIVE ear infection when I went to Cuba with Lisa to the point I was almost not allowed to fly home and another smaller one when we went on our honeymoon, luckily I now take antibiotics with me just incase! :question:

Chunky Lover

Oops,

Just read this thread. If I'd seen it sooner, I could have given you 5 different possibilities, all worst than labyrinthitis!

But, it sounds like the most likely diagnosis.

The reason it started whilst staring at a plain floor is that with nothing to focus on, your eyes went into a condition known as nystagmus - uncontrolled side to side or up and down movements. Thats because the inner ear apparatus, inflammed as it is/was, was giving false info to your brain and therefore, eyes, that you were moving. Your eyes then adapt to this movement by scanning. Next time you are with someone who is drunk, or at least, feeling the effects, look into their eyes (careful now) they may also have nystagmus - can be very pronounced at the pre-vomit stage!

So, the nystagmus gives you the nausea and dizziness feeling.

Neat huh?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Glad you've been diagnosed! :cheers:

I got a MASSIVE ear infection when I went to Cuba with Lisa to the point I was almost not allowed to fly home

I was really holding it together as we waited to board in fear of someone spotting it and not letting me fly, in the half hour beforehand i had needed to sit about five or six times, i just had to get to the seat on the plane. Am totally fine sat still (less a little headache), that was the problem this morning, slept fine, showered, got into van and drove to oxford, walked about half a mile and giddy as hell. It's been many years now, but it reminds me of walking home late from various mates houses having smoked far too much cannibis...

Sat still (or stood still at the bar) i'm pretty much OK, but getting up ladders and drilling ceilings (thats what i'm doing right now) is not going to happen.

Yeah my dog has this a lot and she can't stand up, just falls over with her head on one side!!

i've also had it but not so severe, just made me throw up a lot but its okay as I wear an open face helmet when on the scooter so just sort of turn my head sideways and carry on, bit like a monty python sketch really.

When i read the original title the first thing that sprang to mind was the people when I get there!!

Andy, well you would put your foot near her toy! And she did growl to warn you. of course....her toys are everywhere and she growls alot when playing as well....

Ho Hum! Goes to prove she's a good judge of character (and sorry bout that matey!)