free hit
counters
Newbie Q: Hesitation between 2500 & 3000rpm - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Newbie Q: Hesitation between 2500 & 3000rpm

Hi, Another newbie question for you guys :mellow:

I took an S4s for a test drive the other day, and it seemed to be having some problems on gear changes. The actual change was easy and I could select the gear OK, however when the car was at 2500/3000 rpm there were issues when I put the power down. There would be some hesitation (and slight kangaroo-ing) for a couple of seconds :) and then it would come through the other side and seemed to pull OK again. I noticed it changing up into 4th, and also changing down into 3rd.

This was put down to the fact that the car had been standing a while, however it was still doing this after ~12 miles (It had improved, but was still an issue). Is this likely to be a plausable explanation, or does could it imple deeper issues.

Cheers,

Ben

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They all do that sir ! :mellow:

It's known as the 3K stumble

Do a search on the forum and you'll find many threads about this

What did you think of the car otherwise?

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

What did you think of the car otherwise?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked it lots... It seemed in nice condition, 54K FLSH from a Lotus dealer (although what looked like a leak from the rear diff that would have needed sorting). Once I had got over the initial nervousness :) it was unlike anything I have driven before (I currently have a Civic!). It felt more planted, and the couple of times I did put the power down there was that surge that left me with a grin all over my face... :mellow:

Unfortunately the dealer wasn't willing to move at all on the screen price (it would have been a cash deal so you would have though they could at least move into their part-ex margin), so I have walked away for the moment...

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

Check out this page on LEW:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EModificat...p_reviewed.html

It will give you a rough idea of the problem. You can purchase a chip to cure it and increase performance. I'm surprised you noticed it on a test drive!

kato

lew_small.gif

http://www.lotusespritworld.com' target='_blank'>

Check out this page on LEW:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EModificat...p_reviewed.html

It will give you a rough idea of the problem. You can purchase a chip to cure it and increase performance. I'm surprised you noticed it on a test drive!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if this is something more significant then... You couldn't really have missed it. The power drop was noticable almost as if it was going to stall on you, and there was a juddering accompanied with it. You either had to change back to the gear you were in previously, or put your foot down to get through it, it didn't feel like you could have stayed at those revs in that gear.

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

I have the stock and #5 chip for my S4s and I've never experienced anything like what you describe as:

"power drop was noticable almost as if it was going to stall on you, and there was a juddering accompanied with it"

It could be a myriad of things (and I'm not convinced its only the 3K stumble), so if you're serious about the car get it checked by a good mechanic. You could try asking someone from the forum to go with you, as there is probably more combined Esprit knowledge on this board than anywhere in the world!

Good luck, the S4s will not disappoint you!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!
I have the stock and #5 chip for my S4s and I've never experienced anything like what you describe as:

"power drop was noticable almost as if it was going to stall on you, and there was a juddering accompanied with it"

It could be a myriad of things (and I'm not convinced its only the 3K stumble), so if you're serious about the car get it checked by a good mechanic.  You could try asking someone from the forum to go with you, as there is probably more combined Esprit knowledge on this board than anywhere in the world!

Good luck, the S4s will not disappoint you!

Paul is right, what Ben is describing is not the 3k stumble. Sounds like an ignition problem, wires, plugs, coils. Probably not an an ignition cutoff due to overboost either. Sounds like it needs some work. Check it with freescan before buying.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Paul is right, what Ben is describing is not the 3k stumble.  Sounds like an ignition problem, wires, plugs, coils.  Probably not an an ignition cutoff due to overboost either.  Sounds like it needs some work.  Check it with freescan before buying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like it needs new plugs and leads (and poss a new distributor pack). My SE was suffering from a loss of power and lumpiness (esp when cold) around this region. I changed the plugs for NGK stamdard items with Lotus leads and its fine now.

Edited by Blue4Ice
I wonder if this is something more significant then... You couldn't really have missed it. The power drop was noticable almost as if it was going to stall on you, and there was a juddering accompanied with it. You either had to change back to the gear you were in previously, or put your foot down to get through it, it didn't feel like you could have stayed at those revs in that gear.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's that bad then it's definately not the stumble, that normally presents it's self as a moments hesitation. Mine did it but cleared after resetting the ECU. As others have suggested it could be a number of things causing it.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

I would say it might be the 3k stumble, comming from a newbie perspective, I completely got over what I thought was a problem and never encounter it. I would say more revs should cure the stumble, as what you describe is exactly what happened to me in the first few weeks of ownership. It seems really bad, but then you learn to drive around it and its no longer a problem. Actually I find the car is so much easier to drive with more revs anyhow, the gear change is much slicker at 7000, then 2000.....ahem

Edited by bramble111s