free hit
counters
The new Honda Civic Type R - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The new Honda Civic Type R

Guest Chelsea Martyn

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apart from the ridiculous spoiler on the back I think the new civic looks awesome. Think the hard choice would be chosing colour, normally I'd go black but there is a lot of dark in the light clusters / rad grill so I'd opt for dark metalic grey to give it shape.

I like Hondas stuff - loved the S2000, my folks have the old Civic and not only is it a good car the dealer people tend to look after you as well.

If I were in the hatch market it'd be the 1st thing I would go and see, that and an old shape Focus RS - other contenders would be top of the range Seat Leon and the VW Golf GTi and perhaps the Astra....yeah its a Vauxhall but they've cleaned their act right up...I really like it (all except the badge).

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

you know... it looks great I'll admit. If I was more in the market for this kind of car, it would disappoint me that the Civic's suspension has finally degraded into strut/torsion bar after so many years of all around A arms (Though I've heard the a arms weren't necessarily the best setup anyway.)

At least we still get multi-link in the back in the US.

do like the interior though.

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Thanks Toua....commission will be in the post.

As I work for Honda in Corperate Sales I would have to say that the car is awesome but it's absolutely true! It drives like it looks and I can't wait for Top Gear to get it, they love cars like this, a real enthusiasts car.

Better still we will be getting very limited numbers (we're even limited on the standard Civics), so it will be more exclusive, retain it's value and boy racers won't be able to get hold of em.

Even better, I use Corperate rates and supply so when there's nowt out there I'll still have em.....form an orderly queue please....

Oh by the way, don't have to be a Corperate deal to get my rates, just gotta go through me.

Tone the Civic man

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Hi Tony,

I might be in the market for a 2.2 deisel civic, very impressed with the figures for both performance and economy!! Got a test drive booked for next week. Would you recomend 1? If so we'll have to talk money. Any advise is appreciated just PM me if you want.

Simon

Chunky Lover

I'm not a 'hot hatch' kind of driver but I must admit, the new Civic Type R is rather smart (IMO)..

Sam, (my wife) is actually a very good driver and I'm thinking about maybe getting her one.

Anyone else have views on this new car?

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/newctrmar06/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with the looks, but try before you buy and go at it with a critical eye, 'cos you'll have to live with it. My girlfriend has an 04 plate (previous/current model) Civic Type-R and I can't stand the thing, so I hope the new model's better than the old...

The engine's great but I hate the gearbox and suspension set up - I've driven to Wales and Devon in it, plus many shorter trips and the obligatory slaloms across MK. 1st gear is a useless crawler gear - any urgency and the power is spun away (FWD so traction is reduced under acceleration - doh!) and the remaining five gears are too short - IIRC it's doing something like 3,500 - 4,000 rpm at 80mph. I've driven much more usable six-speed boxes (e.g. current Toyota ones). The suspension is stiff, but it's bl**dy harsh too - might be fine for the track, but uncomfortable for rough (normal UK) roads and speedbumps. I prefer the ride of the Esprit. There's also so much road noise and rumble from the back wheels that I jacked it up on the drive once and checked for bearing trouble - that's what it sounded like to me! Oh, and it understeers when pushed in the wet...

To be honest I only drive it when I have to - it has a usable boot, especially with the back seats folded, unlike my 3 two-seaters - and I'm not a fan of FWD cars if you hadn't guessed. Sadly, it just feels like a shopping car with a big engine to me.

All that aside, it appeals to the female of the household so that might be all the recommendation Mrs. Martyn needs! :blink:

Dan.

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

Oh, and it understeers when pushed in the wet...

To be honest I only drive it when I have to - it has a usable boot, especially with the back seats folded, unlike my 3 two-seaters - and I'm not a fan of FWD cars if you hadn't guessed. Sadly, it just feels like a shopping car with a big engine to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Front wheel drive is just no fun. Im a MR guy myself. FR is fun but MR is great!

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

Front wheel drive is just no fun. Im a MR guy myself. FR is fun but MR is great!

Shah

I like my Acura RSX Type-S (Honda Integra). The 6 speed shifter feel is waaaay better than the Lotus, the engine is much more flexible though it is 2.0L and 200hp. I get 32-36mpg (average) with the 6speed. The synchros are carbon, and have less inertia that brass, so them match between gears better (fast shifting).

It's a nice car. Similar to the European Honda Integra Type-R (no LSD though).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I like my Acura RSX Type-S (Honda Integra).  The 6 speed shifter feel is waaaay better than the Lotus, the engine is much more flexible though it is 2.0L and 200hp.  I get 32-36mpg (average) with the 6speed.  The synchros are carbon, and have less inertia that brass, so them match between gears better (fast shifting).

It's a nice car.  Similar to the European Honda Integra Type-R (no LSD though).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah but imagine how much better the car would be with the motor over the other wheels...

i have actually heard great stuff about that car in terms of handling and performance for an FF...

Shah

yeah but imagine how much better the car would be with the motor over the other wheels...

i have actually heard great stuff about that car in terms of handling and performance for an FF...

Shah

I already have a Lotus Esprit SE... I have the Acura RSX for a practical car... One that goes in snow... up into the mountains for snowboarding... All winter long... Something the Lotus does not do. FR sucks in the snow.

But its still fun to drive. I like the challenge of trying to drive the FF well, it is all about conservation of momentum... Infact it is very similar to the Lotus in that you have to shift alot of weight to the front prior to a corner. The Lotus needs this due to the light front (no traction for turning), the RSX needs this due to the extra traction needed for Braking+turning -> turning+accelerating. The RSX Type-S is very tossable, and the rearend will drift very nicely.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Agree with the looks, but try before you buy and go at it with a critical eye, 'cos you'll have to live with it. My girlfriend has an 04 plate (previous/current model) Civic Type-R and I can't stand the thing, so I hope the new model's better than the old...

The engine's great but I hate the gearbox and suspension set up - I've driven to Wales and Devon in it, plus many shorter trips and the obligatory slaloms across MK. 1st gear is a useless crawler gear - any urgency and the power is spun away (FWD so traction is reduced under acceleration - doh!) and the remaining five gears are too short - IIRC it's doing something like 3,500 - 4,000 rpm at 80mph. I've driven much more usable six-speed boxes (e.g. current Toyota ones). The suspension is stiff, but it's bl**dy harsh too - might be fine for the track, but uncomfortable for rough (normal UK) roads and speedbumps. I prefer the ride of the Esprit. There's also so much road noise and rumble from the back wheels that I jacked it up on the drive once and checked for bearing trouble - that's what it sounded like to me! Oh, and it understeers when pushed in the wet...

All that aside, it appeals to the female of the household so that might be all the recommendation Mrs. Martyn needs!

Edited by Toua

I dont see many good FF drivers around the track.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And is that what the Type-R is intended for...?

I've got no problem with the Civic, just that this particular variant feels over tuned for normal road use, if you get my drift. Fast shopping car. :lol:

Dan.

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

And is that what the Type-R is intended for...?

I've got no problem with the Civic, just that this particular variant feels over tuned for normal road use, if you get my drift.  Fast shopping car. :lol:

Dan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. May be a fun car to drive, but when have you seen a real FF racecar...

True purpose built racecars (Formula 1, etc) cars have always been either rwd or awd...

there is a reason they do this...

Shah

I like my Acura RSX Type-S (Honda Integra).  The 6 speed shifter feel is waaaay better than the Lotus, the engine is much more flexible though it is 2.0L and 200hp.  I get 32-36mpg (average) with the 6speed.  The synchros are carbon, and have less inertia that brass, so them match between gears better (fast shifting).

It's a nice car.  Similar to the European Honda Integra Type-R (no LSD though).

I've just picked up my new Accord Exec which has the new 6 speed short shift gearbox and it is sweeeet. compared to the my Merc it's 100% better. The voice recog is absolutely unbelieveable as well...not just on the phone calls or sat nav but radio, CD, Climate control, etc......except if you've got bsted kids like me and everytime I press the voice control button they say Radio Long Wave 253....and some French bird comes on.....

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

just bought the new Type R

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are those pics of your civic? is it a VX?

I have to dig up some pics of my old civic. i thiink you would like it...

Shah

yeah its my VX, saves lots on gas thats for sure.. but it really lacks horspower and torque! maybe bc i need a new sparks but it stalls then it kicks.. something is wrong with the engine..

around 1-2k rpms it stalls and the engine shakes like crazy