free hit
counters
Automobilia - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Automobilia

Guest saraphee

Guest saraphee

I bought what seems to be a Handbook Folder from eBay. It's quite high quality English green leather and I've attached a couple of photos,

one showing the exterior with Lotus embossed logo and the other the interior and accessories.

There is no clue to the maker, nor is there any indication of a sponsor ( I guess it's not a factory original item) Perhaps a distributor issued them as a promotion?

The interior has slots for cards etc. on one side, the large slot takes the Elite handbook as a custom fit. On the other side there are 2 pockets, one holds a tape head cleaner and a tube of cleaning solution. Sadly, the 2nd pocket is empty, In the centre of the pockets are 3 holders, one has a pressure gauge, another holds a Mini Maglite and the third a Pierre Cardin ballpoint.

My queries are these, should anyone recognise this piece of kit:-

* Was the seller correct in identifying it as a piece of Lotus Elite/Eclat automobilia?

* Who distributed it?

* Most importantly - what should be in the empty pocket?

I Hope someone can help...............

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

* Was the seller correct in identifying it as a piece of Lotus Elite/Eclat automobilia?

The Mag instrument website shows the first AA mini maglite production was in 1984, with the smaller pen sized AAA mini maglite (which i'd say your's is) being launched in 1987.

So if the Mini maglite is claimed to be an authentic piece of that wallet/kit then it's too new to be associated with the Elite/eclat and is more likely to be in the Excel/Esprit/M100 production era.

:lol:

Guest saraphee

Hi Malc -

Then perhaps you can answer the other two questions please.

In your opinion was this a factory item or something from your distributor

AND, most importantly - what should be in that empty pocket?

Paul,

I'm really impressed with your research talents.

I visited the Maglite site and never thought of checking dates.

You are quite right - mine is a 2 cell AAA Maglite.

Whilst I'm disappointed to find it's not a piece of period kit

it is quite a smart thing so I think I'll keep it

I bought one of these off ebay a couple of years ago too. I was told these came with the Lotus Carlton? Not sure though

As for the pockets in mine one contains an Allsop 3 casette head cleaner, and the other has a Pick Up functional tool card (swiss army type thing with spirit level?, saw, screwdrivers etc)

Edited by gasmangt3
  • Like 1

I bought one of these off ebay a couple of years ago too. I was told these came with the Lotus Carlton...

...and the other has a Pick Up functional tool card (swiss army type thing with spirit level?, saw, screwdrivers...

Saw???

I'm picturing the scenario...

Lotus carlton broken down, the owner with his head in his hands...

"If only i had...

...a saw"

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these off ebay a couple of years ago too. I was told these came with the Lotus Carlton? Not sure though

This isn't from a Lotus Carlton, so the mystery deepens.

I have one and sold two on e-bay a few years ago, they are original Lotus items. They were a marketing item mainly sold to house the manuals, pens, tyre guages, whatever you want to put in them. If I remember correctly it was just after the old man managed to get rid of that horrid Oval badge.

There was a period when they were included in a special edition car, though for the life of me I can't remember which.

But mainly, yes, theres no mystery. Marketing item.

Yours looks in superb condition Rex.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)