Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Picture & Video Thread - Page 69 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
9 minutes ago, Colin G said:

No, I don't mind it as it is really.

.......and the mounting bolts are quite close to the edges so you'd have a couple of nice holes to plug in the face of the bumper.

• Gold FFM
17 minutes ago, Colin G said:

The mounting bracket has a fairly small footprint fixing wise David, smaller than the old one I'm sure?

The plastic section of the mount is quite small, but it has a metal plate on which the number plate itself is stuck. 30 seconds with a friendly machine shop fixed that problem for me :)

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

Sorry, replied to the wrong person @Colin G . I have a Dremel which I am sure would have done a job, but I preferred it to be done quickly and neatly so went to my friendly local shop who can do a neat and tidy job very quickly where I'd probably have spent ages making good.

Also is it just me or have a lot of the photos here stopped working? All of Colin's I could see ten minutes ago and now the links are broken?

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Colin have you considered getting a smaller number plate for the front of your car?

Hate to be a party pooper, but aren't the diddy number plates illegal? The lettering has to be a specific size acording to DVLA document INF104 Vehicle registration numbers and number plates. I've got a private plate on mine so I don't want small lettering anyway. :lol:

Plates with the black background and silver/white lettering are also illegal on any motor registered from 1973 onwards; I always find it strange when people put that type of plate on a modern car because I think it looks silly.

Numberplate rules.jpg

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

• Gold FFM

Ah, I did not know Amazon pics were site hosted.

I do believe the gold phone has now been wired in at Chateau Bibs should I need to contact him :)

James Martin (JayEmm)

You can make a legal plate smaller, by minimising all spaces. 11+79+11 tall for example. Where as "normal" plates are taller. It's normally 111mm high.

not to mention width of plate, if using less than current 7 digits

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

@EuropaSman I believe my plate is completely legal - at least I was sold it as such. It might not look it in pictures but the letters are the normal size, but because there are less of them I can have a smaller plate. The border is still legal as is spacing as far as I know.

I am sure plod will tell me if I am wrong!

James Martin (JayEmm)

As long as the letter sizes, spacing & margins are legal the plate can be made to whatever size you want

I had a slightly smaller (illegal) plate on the front of the VX for 12 years which never produced any attention from plod

• Gold FFM

To be honest, I'd rather be reffered to as a passionate Lotus enthusiast, but I admit to being a total car nerd :lol: and I need to get out more (in the Evora of course!). Wasn't wishing to offend, just trying to be helpful.

@JayEmm I watched you first video diary (which I loved by the way) on Thursday night and yes your plate looks perfectly legal - didn't notice anything wrong with it at all. EDIT: sorry forgot you are getting private plates - was it the latter you were referring to?  Point taken on the less letters bit and as @CocoPops also mentioned with the spacing so the plate doesn't need to be so wide. :thumbup:  I got the wrong end of the stick; it's the really small ones, with the smaller lettering I was thinking of (maybe I have small numberplate OCD).

There was a guy not far from me in Leicester who I seem to recall had a Europa S with a very small front number (used to see it every so often when he drove through Ashby to and from work) - could hardly read it until that car was just about passing me.  I'm sure the front plate on the Europa of the guy I'm referring to was too small, as I recollect the last time I saw the car it had a normal sized front number plate on it.

It might not just be Plod (who probaly couldn't be bothered unless was a slow crime day), but any overzealous MOT tester. Some of the comments on MOTs I've had done on some cars have been downright silly like corrosion on the brake discs; the car had been standing in the rain for a couple days and hadn't been driven! Please don't get me started on MOT failures for light bulbs that break between me parking up at the MOT station and the MOT tester getting in the car and not noticing the blown light bulb indicator lit up in the instrument cluster).

Off now to hide behind the sofa :).

:sofa:

Edited by EuropaSman

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

• Gold FFM

Don't worry @EuropaSman, all is good. Yeah it's the private plate that I am referring to. In fact the sole reason for getting the private reg was to be able to fit a smaller plate at the front, I thought the large plate spoiled the car's looks a little bit.

I did think about a vinyl front plate but I preferred a more traditional one. Mine has embossed "gel" letters which help it stand out a bit more than the regular thing. It works quite well with the phantom black accents on the car actually.

We're in agreement about MOT testers too ;)

James Martin (JayEmm)