free hit
counters
Evora Picture & Video Thread - Page 70 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora Picture & Video Thread

As long as the letter sizes, spacing & margins are legal the plate can be made to whatever size you want

I had a slightly smaller (illegal) plate on the front of the VX for 12 years which never produced any attention from plod

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My new acquisition. Can't believe I've finally got one! 

Are we talking about Racing Green Lotus'?  Here's the most recent one of it being clean, at Caffeine & Machine. 8,300 miles in five months means it's rarely clean! 

Some impressiones from the Nürburgring 26-27.07.20 (driver corse XL Nordschleife) in the third photo you can see the vehicles of my training group there were a total of 20 groups.  

Posted Images

To be honest, I'd rather be reffered to as a passionate Lotus enthusiast, but I admit to being a total car nerd :lol: and I need to get out more (in the Evora of course!). Wasn't wishing to offend, just trying to be helpful.

@JayEmm I watched you first video diary (which I loved by the way) on Thursday night and yes your plate looks perfectly legal - didn't notice anything wrong with it at all. EDIT: sorry forgot you are getting private plates - was it the latter you were referring to?  Point taken on the less letters bit and as @CocoPops also mentioned with the spacing so the plate doesn't need to be so wide. :thumbup:  I got the wrong end of the stick; it's the really small ones, with the smaller lettering I was thinking of (maybe I have small numberplate OCD).

There was a guy not far from me in Leicester who I seem to recall had a Europa S with a very small front number (used to see it every so often when he drove through Ashby to and from work) - could hardly read it until that car was just about passing me.  I'm sure the front plate on the Europa of the guy I'm referring to was too small, as I recollect the last time I saw the car it had a normal sized front number plate on it.

It might not just be Plod (who probaly couldn't be bothered unless was a slow crime day), but any overzealous MOT tester. Some of the comments on MOTs I've had done on some cars have been downright silly like corrosion on the brake discs; the car had been standing in the rain for a couple days and hadn't been driven! Please don't get me started on MOT failures for light bulbs that break between me parking up at the MOT station and the MOT tester getting in the car and not noticing the blown light bulb indicator lit up in the instrument cluster).

Off now to hide behind the sofa :).

:sofa:

Edited by EuropaSman

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

Don't worry @EuropaSman, all is good. Yeah it's the private plate that I am referring to. In fact the sole reason for getting the private reg was to be able to fit a smaller plate at the front, I thought the large plate spoiled the car's looks a little bit.

I did think about a vinyl front plate but I preferred a more traditional one. Mine has embossed "gel" letters which help it stand out a bit more than the regular thing. It works quite well with the phantom black accents on the car actually.

We're in agreement about MOT testers too ;)

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I got a private plate for my Evora earlier this year and the main reason was so I could get a smaller front plate - it saves weight.

It does mean the plate is smaller than the mount, but so far I've screwed the plate to two of the original mount holes and have completely eliminated the mount to save weight. I'm a bit worried about whether it will stand up to 150mph on the autobahn, but seems great so far.

@JayEmm Looks good to me - not chavvy at all. I'd not class that as a diddy numberplate - just a not as wide one due to the aforementioned reduction in digits. :thumbsup:

@Danelaw Did you get a light weight battery in the end to help with all these marginal gains in weight saving you are making? The aerospace engineer in me is curious to know how much weight you've saved so far on your S.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

• Gold FFM
31 minutes ago, Danelaw said:

I got a private plate for my Evora earlier this year and the main reason was so I could get a smaller front plate - it saves weight.

I can imagine you've eliminated quite a bit of understeer and improved the turn-in considerable by saving that weight from the leading front edge of the front bumber. Nice one.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

@EuropaSman Yes got a lightweight battery. Went for the Ultrabatt Multi-mighty which is a small modular Lithium system. The advice was either 7 or 8 would be right so I went for 8.

To date I've saved 36 kg, but then I've temporarily increased the weight by putting the old exhaust tailpipe back, so current saving is 24 kg.

Putting the heavier exhaust tail-pipe back on was a horrible feeling. My youngest daughter was really upset about it too as she much preferred the pops and bangs from the light-weight pipe, but we're driving across Europe again and my wife didn't like the drone with the noisier pipe at around 75-80 mph. Having put the original pipe back I'm missing the noise of the other pipe. It's nice being quiet on the motorway, but for all other trips the sense of occasion is diminished.

This is only temporary as I have a Swindon Engines exhaust to fit, and that why I agreed to go back for now and I'll fit the Swindon system when the car is out of warranty in February. I've agreed to sell the light-weight pipe s it could be on here soon. Great if you like some noise but not the best for m-way cruising.

2 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I can imagine you've eliminated quite a bit of understeer and improved the turn-in considerable by saving that weight from the leading front edge of the front bumber. Nice one.

All very small incremental gains so not noticeable. Logic tells me it's silly, but I've got obsessed...

Impressed with 36kg total so far (save for the temporary de-modifcation). Wasn't far off then with my man maths guestimate of 9 Multi-mighties in the Feb 2016 - Best Evora Battery Replacement thread when I attempted to compare the equivalent lithium set up with a Varta lead acid battery.

Edited by EuropaSman
F**k I wish I could type properly!

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, snoboardr said:

When I tell people I'm categorically NOT a car nerd, I will point them to this discussion about number plates, screw hole positions and digit sizing to demonstrate what proper car geeks are like. <_<

Nothing wrong with discussing technical minutiae - no more nerdy than say, regularly highlighting something unique to your particular car, :P .

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PaulCP said:

I had a slightly smaller (illegal) plate on the front of the VX for 12 years which never produced any attention from plod

I use normal plates and get stopped lots. I'm correlating this to the fact that number plate size may have nothing to do with it! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

5 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Ah, I did not know Amazon pics were site hosted.

You mean site pics are Amazon hosted? They weren't, but they will be as of now. To stop images hosting elsewhere eventually disappearing as they get removed, the forum now grabs them and for the last few months we now host all remote images so we'll always be able to display them. This is taking huge amounts of space, hence the move to AWS plus as we also use Cloudfront, it speeds them up too. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

Nothing wrong with discussing technical minutiae - no more nerdy than say, regularly highlighting something unique to your particular car, :P .

I like unique cars and hearing about them. Take for example Jason, did you know he has the only........

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Once you've looked behind the curtain, things will never be the same :lol:

Behind_curtain.jpg

Evora NA

11 hours ago, Bibs said:

You mean site pics are Amazon hosted? They weren't, but they will be as of now. To stop images hosting elsewhere eventually disappearing as they get removed, the forum now grabs them and for the last few months we now host all remote images so we'll always be able to display them. This is taking huge amounts of space, hence the move to AWS plus as we also use Cloudfront, it speeds them up too. 

You re-size them down and re-compress them on the upload though presumably? This is why many images uploaded to Facebook look bad, they must compress to about 50% JPEG quality given what many of my masterpieces turn out like.

Nope. Full size is uploaded and then a thumbnail is generated on the fly depending on the browser dimensions for display. If you click an image in a thread, you can view the full size version so no compression as it screws the image up too much, as happens on facebook. They are gzipped on the fly and served using imagemagick to speed up delivery though. 

Evora NA

2 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

^ ^ ^ ^   This, as a complete technophobe where computers are concerned, has just done this   v v v v 

over my head.png

I completely agree!!

And us accountants get a bad rep! IT people!

Haha,  we're always up to date! 

• Like 1

Evora NA

• Bibs changed the title to Evora Picture & Video Thread