free hit
counters
Took possession of my Esprit from Lotus dealership after six months - Page 5 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Took possession of my Esprit from Lotus dealership after six months

cjtpb13

Did Kempy rebuild the engine over here Christopher?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

FINALLY !!!! A major step !

post-4361-0-88973800-1335674819.jpg

Then about an hour later after...

post-4361-0-05447900-1335674910.jpg

Next several hours spent installing many of the items removed almost 1.5 years ago. Thankfully I was smart enough to label everything thoroughly. Along with three binders of manual on the sunroof I have progressed along quite a bit this evening and morning. Quitting time now and I will be back at it near another 7 hours.

I have decided with a lift and an electric hoist on a gantry is the only way to remove and replace the engine. One handed operation.

Progress to continue....

...and special thanks to TLF bobfogle for a bit of technical advice...and though he is not aware of it Vulcan Grey...( I had a question that I could not find the answer to in the Service Notes or Parts Manual. Travis' extensive photo gallery provided the answer...thanks Travis !

Edited by cjtpb13

:thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Nice one Christopher :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Really good to see the engine where it should be! I bet when you started this thread nearly 2 years ago you did not expect to be doing any of this work, let alone doing it in 2012. Won't be long until it's on the road again!

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Thanks everyone...and yes I would never have imagined it taking this long. Though my travel schedule has not helped much either.

Yes Peter it is funny, every time I see your car or Paul's car it causes my brain to think it is my car...then I see the RHD and all is back to normal...

This picture is for Paul Fowler...Having had the pleasure to spend a good afternoon with Paul in the engine bay of Dave Freeman's Esprit a few years back I had a lot of memories and laughter come back. Though I had no one to go out and celebrate with an evaporative pint. So my youngest brother, also named Paul, had taken this photo while I was putting more stuff back together.

post-4361-0-76341000-1335750358.jpg

I had to fabricate a new grounding bracket for the coolant pipe that carries over the alternator. I discovered that half of the bracket was still attached to the grounding lug on the chassis while the other half was still hose clamped on to the pipe. made a much more durable one than the original. It appears it had been broken for quite some time.

Taking off tomorrow as I go back on travel Tuesday. So I will try to get as much done as I can.

At least your bracket failure didn't result in the sort of issue mine did. Bracket came loose not broken, ali pipe rubbed against bracket and eventually rubbed a hole in the pipe causing me to loose coolant when on a run to the cost with the playground. Well done Esprit, keep reminding the Elise / Exige owners why they don't drive the older Lotus cars.

Looks like you are on the way to getting it all sorted.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived in from London ( was only there for a short time ) and was supposed to go look at an Esprit with Moxie ( Matt ) on Saturday in the Philadelphia area. Needless to say that got delayed.

So I spent the weekend chatting with redvtec ( Chris ) on the phone a bit about car electrics while at the same time spending long hours in the garage...

So here are the results...

post-4361-0-31090600-1337577322.jpg

post-4361-0-91205100-1337577354.jpg

post-4361-0-44880500-1337577422.jpg

Needless to say I am a bit tired at the moment. Fortunately I have a call from Egypt coming in so I had to stay awake anyhow.

Tuesday I will double check all my work and then power up the electrics. I also need to install a chargecooler electric pump.

I now have a greater appreciation of the S1 and S2's simplicity...

( apologies on the camera angles...that is not how they are in my computer but for whatever reason the rotated when posted )

Edited by cjtpb13

Hah ha. That looks familiar mate :D

This picture is for Paul Fowler...Having had the pleasure to spend a good afternoon with Paul in the engine bay of Dave Freeman's Esprit a few years back I had a lot of memories and laughter come back. Though I had no one to go out and celebrate with an evaporative pint. So my youngest brother, also named Paul, had taken this photo while I was putting more stuff back together.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Looking good, and it's blue! I have been thinking of going blue on my plenum etc

Was good to speak to you

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Paul yes it does ! Good thing we were both skinny...HAHAHA ! Funny ( or scary ) thing is I could here your voice as you were teaching me the quirky little things when installing the engine. Made life a bit more simple putting it back in. ( Oh do tell Sarah I said hello and hope all finds you well )

Trevor thanks...would probably had been a lot quicker if I had you and Sparky there too...but travel has been so bad this year that Lotus work has been done spur of the moment many of the times.

Jason thanks. I struggled with the change of color but knew I did not like the factory red-orange color. I had thought about BRG as I could get the silicone piping in the same color. Alas I settled on the blue.

When we have the chance to go look at the car ( between Philly and Quakertown on the Blue Line I believe ) I will give you a PM.

Edited by cjtpb13

• 1 year later...

It is with amazement that I find myself writing here...

Almost four years have progressed since the deer strike on the 18th of November 2009.  Finally the last stages of repair will begin at the end of October when the interior is completely removed and replaced.  This takes care of the damage done to every piece of the leather that the Lotus dealership destroyed by cleaning it and then attempting to paint the leather to hide the fact that they had damaged it with a bleaching agent.

I also had the mismatched BRG colour issue resolved.  In the process much was discovered wrong.  Of which I will share when I have time to write it up.

The long and short of it is that in the past 1,428 days I have basically had my car for use 54 of those days.