free hit
counters
Restoration of S3 2.2 HC - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Halletts5

Restoration of S3 2.2 HC

Richard,

Really glad to see you are still doing bits on the car, And myself included find the garage to cold at the moment to work on projects, Once you get the beast fired up your enthusiasm with return along with some decent hot weather hopefully.

Looking forward to the updates on this project once the weather gets a bit better, just seems to be getting colder and colder at the moment though :thumbdown:

Regards danny

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I find that too weather wise- although I drive mine twice a week without a heater.

Its making the initial effort to get out into the garage- once there I can carry on!

I have one of those 300w halogen lights that I find works well as a heater too

if you place it close to the job. Could be worse, I've just come back from Finland

where it was -35. :thumbdown:

You poor sods......today has cooled down here in sunny South Africa (Cape Town) It is a mild 27 deg c ,normally 32 and gets up to aa decent 36 .

In winter it can really get cold ,last year ONE DAY it was 4 deg,otherwise it idles at around 12-17 in winter !

A little update, and it is a little one! Battery in, starter motor connected; ignition lights all light up, no starter solenoid, just gets hot! A mate is hopefully coming round to get me started in the right direction, he has told me its something to do with the exitation loop or something! This has stopped me doing much, since I don't want to strip down much further until have heard the engine. Damn wigglies!

By the way, thank you for the words of encouragement. They are most definitely required!

Thanks Bigsi, I have bought the landrover slave cylinder and I am in the process of aquiring some aeroquip hose to replace the red one I have read so much about on this forum.

Richard,

You mentioned an immobiliser in an earlier thread. If it is the same as mine, then there may not be anything wrong with your starter motor per se - it could be that the immobiliser has failed. I took mine out in the end [*], more trouble than it was worth. It had separate immobiliser circuits for the fuel pump (theres a clue - can you hear yours when you switch the ignition on?) and the ignition feed to the starter motor.

Just a thought....often helps to think laterally when it comes to electrics.

//R

[*] not difficult, it is easy to find the black box and work out where it has been spliced into the loom and reverse the damage if you can solder.

A little update:

Played around with the starter motor this evening, after a lot of time and effort we just could not get the starter to engage and run properly. off the car it works as soon as it is fitted it either engages runs and won't disengage or will not engage at all, whilst the solenoid was getting very hot. After various combinations utilising some components from my old solenoid we have come to the conclusion that the new solenoid is either duff or just not made very well. With regards to the immobiliser we were getting the correct voltages so we were happy the immobiliser was functioning correctly. (I will still be removing it at some point) I intend buying one of the lightweight models to avoid wasting any more time just to get the engines started. good news was that at one point we did have to motor turning the engine over with no obvious problems. Unfortunately after we had fitted the spark plugs and leads and put some petrol in (tanks don't seem to be leaking! :-)) we then couldn't get the starter to engage, so no engine noise :-(.

We then turned our attention to the headlight motors, at first we figured they were siezed up and no good, but after a bit of exercise, fiddling with the relays and sticking probes in certain places which I didn't really understand we almost had them working as they should, the motors run freely, however they don't go up when you switch the lights on every time, or go down when you turn them off. The good news is the more we played with them the better they got, so I am fairly confident they will work after a bit more tinkering.

Right, thats about it for now, it was good to spend a good few hours on it with someone who knew about electrical stuff! I'm now going to order a new starter motor.

on the lights going up and down, mine did this - check the relays and also check the switch in the car - as the terminals in these heat up and melt back into the plastic surround so the contact becomes intermittent.

thanks for your replies, all the car side electrics seem to be working fine, so I am going to waste no more time on my Lucas starter and get a geared hi-torque variant as suggested in a number of posts I have read. I have found a unit sold by Auto electrical supplies that works out significantly cheaper than some of the ones people have bought on this site from SJ Sportscars and PNM, it comes to £163.80 including delivery and VAT I think. Nothing against SJ and PNM I am sure they will see plenty of my business in the future, and have been helpful with any enquiries I have had so far. I realise cheaper is not always better, but unless anyone has had a bad experience I think I will buy this one and hear my engine at last. i can't believe I have had it over a year now!

Have you put a little oil into the combustion chambers put in gear and with plugs out pushed car up and down. Everything is going to be very dry and you don't want to add to wear through lack of lubrication.

And you really must change timing belt before starting otherwise you could completely knacker engine. They are not expensive items and Sparky is a master at changing them in situ. Have a word wiith him before doing anything

99.999 %chance the clutch plate will be stuck to flywheel so dont be shocked when you cant engage gears<engine running> Do not start in gear without an extreeem eliment of caution!!! :shock:

Richard, having just start along the some road with 1981 Esprit S3 (purchased already stripped!!!) I feel you may well have the advantage, with a complete car, whereas, I am still taking an inventory of the missing parts!

Take lots and lots of photos as you dismantle, its amassing how you look at something only a day after taking it off and cannot remember where it goes or what it is.

Workshop manual and parts book are a must.

David

Thanks for the advice, I know exactly what you mean. I see you are only down the road, please let me know if you need to look at something or require a picture, my car is still pretty much intact, i am being very cautious about what I take apart. At the moment I have a complete car, I don't want to have a pile of bits next year!

Richard,

Thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it if the pressure gets a bit much.

If you need to see something already stripped or need any help with where to get parts etc. give me call.

Going to Lotusbits tomorrow for some missing 'bits' : more expense, who said restoration was painless?

David

Car for sale. Reluctantly I must admit defeat, I do not have the time required for this project. Please let me know if you are interested in this car. I will not sell to a breaker.

Good luck with the sale. Its a shame but if its never gonna happen its better to be a big enough person to admit it to your self and move on. Hopefully you'll get a good deal and give the new owner thelotusforums address.

All the best

Buddsy

Thanks, shame we never got to meet up and compare Lotus'

I'll still be keeping track of yours, all the best.

I think I contacted you through Ebay Can you supply some better photos of the car please I live near Durham so its a long way to drive to view the car. 

Cheers Mike 

Mike,

I think you will find Haller is the previous owner and the chap that advertised it on EBay fairly recently is the one who bought it from him. There is another thread here somewhere with the present owner.

Trevor.