free hit
counters
Now the Councils are at it? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
waynef

Now the Councils are at it?

Ok so we all know companies are tighter than ever at the moment but now the Councils seem to be following.

Yesterday bin men come to collect my black wheelie bin, as they connect it to the truck it snaps the handle clean off spilling my rubbish on the road and ripping the back of my bin clean off.

What happens next is classic:

Binman: we can't collect your rubbish as your bins now broken.

Me: pick it up then

Binman: we can't as we're not allowed to lift more than 20kg H&S and all that

Me: Fine move out the way, i'll do it

Binman: your not qualified

Me: I'm more qualified than you, move out the way :)

Binman: seriously sir you'll have to leave your rubbish

Me: Fine i'll phone the council

One call to the council

Me: I'd like to have my bin replaced as the dustman have just broken the handle off it

Council: Of course what's your address

Me: i give address details

Council: that'll be £80

Me: $%£&*** how much and why should i pay

Council: If you do not we will not collect your rubbish and we'll fine you if your rubbish is left out

Me: I'll think about it

So what would the rest of you lot do then or am i being a pathetic tight wad?

£80 is almost a new set of pads, or a new pair of jeans or ...the list go's on but not a BIN!!!!!

So would you guys pay or not?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They broke it, they should replace it, end of story really.

I missed our bin collection on Tuesday, called the council early Wednesday and they emptied the bin that afternoon. £2,170 in council tax gets you personal service y'know! :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Get a National Newspaper involved, they love this sort of thing, you will be amazed how quick you will get a new bin then.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

while you are at it, you might ask why you can buy the same thing on the internet for nearly £20 less.

wheelie bins

although I agree with the sentiment of they broke it, which is worth pursuing but you might likely find they will come back with 'wear & tear' argument. Most councils take the view that the first one is free then you pay after that.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Not sure if I'd have the balls to do it, but sorely tempting to pay a weekly midnight trip to the Council Offices and leave it outside their front doors.

"not qualified to pick up rubbish" lmfao!!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Wait for a council office to put their bin out and go and nick it. whistle.gif

Here in Australia, the council would replace the bin. That's what our council rates are for. We had a wheel break off one of our bins, rang the council and they sent a guy out with spare bits and he fixed it.thumbsup.gif

I'd challenge them personally.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Well apparently the bin is to do with the property and if the bin was missing e.g. if i moved in and it was not there they would replace free of charge.

As its damaged it the home owners responsibility.

I am going to request a FREE second recycling bin 240 lt and use this instead. No way will i part with the £80.

As for buying the cheaper ones i've been told that only council bins can be used by their trucks if not they will not empty them.

And trust me i was tempted to go nick one and swap it from the local park but knowing Winchester council they've microdotted them or something :)

2nd FREE Recycling bin is the way to go :)

Its made me realise what a cheap state we live under yet everything is sky high ££££'s

I just had the renewal note on my brown garden bin. Last year it was £30 this year they want £40. Thats a 25% increase so I refused. Jeez I already pay £150 a month so really think that I pay enough! The bin men took the rubbish anyway...hehe.

Then just this week a letter was put through our door. "To help with combating global warming your area has been chosen to have it's street lights turned off daily from 1am till sunrise. "

Sooooooo Wheres my discount? I pay council tax to have, in part, street lighting to keep the estate safe! I want some money back please!

They are all at it because they know that the new govt aren't going to let them overspend and waste valueable resources like the old one did!

Our council spent £7 million on a new computer system that the experts told them would not be fit for purpose. They went with it because some numpty there believes cheap is best. 2 years later (now) they have admitted it has never worked and have just spent another £15 million on a new system. Easy come easy go I suppose

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Last year it was £30 this year they want £40. Thats a 25% increase so I refused.

'Tard.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Maybe the increase is to make up for the Icelandic c$*k up that so many Councils invested their precious savings with and now we're paying it back......