free hit
counters
Removing the louvres - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buddsy

Removing the louvres

I know this has been spoken about a while ago but has anyone removed their louvres to paint them? I need to paint my rear hatch and louvres and would like to do them apart. I am a bit worried about doing it then having to make a nice job with the black filler/silicone around the edges

Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think removing the louvre would cause more damage than it's worth as they are quite flimsey. I just masked it off when it was painted.

Franc thanks for you reply but I dont think you car has the Louvres! Lol? I dony think they are flimsy? I think they are quite substial and heavy? My worry is about masking is getting paint on the rear screen etc thought the gaps.

Buddsy

Andy now thats thinking lateraly!!

Buddsy

PS I dropped of some parts to Simonf so you may get a call soon for some help!

Certainly have got louvres!

Spent 5 hours filling the cracks and lifted gel coat - if they are not flimsey why do most people strengthen them up with alloy bars etc!!

You will see just how thin they are when you try and sand them - they bend and crack all to easily.

Ok lol I guess your right!! I did see your avitar that you got an s3 n/a. I think I thought they were GRP but are they thin aluminium? I guess the weight of the rear hatch is all in the GRP part and the glass window. My mistake .:thumbdown: I had another look at them and think it will be best to leave in place and mask up. Any thing for an easy life!!

Buddsy

The louvres are GRP.

You can (if you wish) dig out a lot of the sealant that is between them and the frame of the tailgate. Then once sprayed, put new sealant in, but use the window stuff not silicone.

The louvres are GRP.

You can (if you wish) dig out a lot of the sealant that is between them and the frame of the tailgate. Then once sprayed, put new sealant in, but use the window stuff not silicone.

My avatar is off my 84 S3 but I have a 83 S3 - turbo look-alike that is currently having a respray. So I will update the avatar when it looks nice instead of the wreck it looks like right now.

I have spent ages working on the louvre & believe me it is hard work especially when the corners of the slots lifted & cracked like mine had. They are not that strong and even closing the hatch seems to uncover new stress cracks on a weekly basis!

The white one is sold now, Just before I sold it I had a garage do a cam belt change and at the request of the new owner got them to do an oil and filter change. Unbelievably after a 100 miles of driving the car home the new owner decided that there was no oil in the engine (despite no warnings on the pressure gauge)!! He then added a futher 5 litres of oil into the engine!!!! Needless to say he reckons the car isn't running too well - I can't think why??!!

So we expect to see a "Why is there oil p**sing out of the seals, why is my air filter completely soaked in oil and I'm getting blue smoke" topic soon.

Its funny where a thread can go! lol Let me say I am not complaining Ive learnt alot from this thread so its all good!!

Andy I need you to have a look at my clutch slave cylinder when you are next around with some time to kill. No hurry though.

Buddsy

Buy an alloy landrover one, think of the weight saving...!!

Friend of the family had the oil changed on her car, as a self sufficient lady she decided to check theevel and to her supprise.... No oil...!!

She proceeded to fill the engine up and couldn't understand why even when she was adding oil it was not registering on the dipstick???

Another carton of oil was purchased and again she continued to fill...

Until that is, oil started pouring out of the filler cap as she'd completely filled the whole engine with lovely crystal clear oil, she thought it'd show up black on the stick like the old stuff....

Oh and my sister in a strop filled her car up through the dipstick hole as she'd been in a strop and pissed me off so I refused to help her, or was that my brother? Can't quite remember!?!?

Hahahaha I did hear about people topping oil up down the dipstick tube!! Trouble is if you dont know...you dont know!

Simon I have got one of the Land rover ones...only touble is I bought it from JPSBlackndgold on ebay as an Esprit one for £37.50 instead of the £10.00 they cost as a Land Rover part! Doh at least its made my car lighter...by about £27.50!!!hahahaha

Buddsy

Once bought a left hooker Italian registered Alfa Bertone 200GTV for £80, iirc...lady owner had mistaken the filler caps and poured the oil in the radiator!! Didn't work,, either; that was because the HT lead to the distributor was short circuited to the carburetters (!). Towed it home, lots of mad flushing and relocation of coil and new HT lead and an hour after purchase the shiny blue beast was doing in excess of three figures along the A316!! Great car, that was; wish I still had it.

Nice!! I had been keeping my eyes open for a 1750GTV...I dont know what it is at the moment but every single car from old to new I like MR G has designed it!!!!

Bloody Genius!

Buddsy

Ah, Mr Black and Gold....

He skunks all his stuff out for major profit!

Silly boy, why didn't you look on the parts cross reference, I posted them up on there years ago!