free hit
counters
How often do you drive your Lotus? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

How often do you drive your Lotus?

Usage poll  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It strikes me that an awful lot of people on here don't get out in their cars for various (a few valid, mostly bad) reasons. So, how often do you drive you car and what awful excuses can you come up with?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I have been one of those who doesn't drive my car enough. Used to be I'd drive it 2-3 times a week...weekends and to work on the rare occasion I was working locally. I then fell out of love for a while because this and that needed doing and all driving it would do was remind me of jobs.

Excuses were usually;

Rain

Looks like rain.

Too hot and red hose syndrome will kick in.

Bad knees so suffer the following day (Over 40 and it all falls apart! That's me not the car)

Clutch too heavy for a journey into a city.

Possibility if road bumps on route.

People at work think I'm posing.

Got bored of, "Have thought of part ex'ing it on the scrappage scheme.

Getting the bug again now. Sorting jobs and driving more. Leaving it sitting has just increased problems, siezed brakes etc.

So here's to more outings.

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

No where near as much as I'd like.

I used to use it all the time but this year I'm ASHAMED to have done less than 1000 in it :thumbsup:

The garage it is in is 2" clear either side which makes it a pain in the ass to get in and out of which doesn't help.

Esp since having the little car which does 2x it's MPG, it's mainly a cost thing atm, petrol, tax and it needs a BIG service this year - ze pot is nearly dry.

I would drive it to the Army (used to drive it to the RM every week) but I can't get up the slope LOL

I'd love to enjoy them more but currently I dont get the chance.

Excuses excuses.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

It's my daily drive so 4 days a week and when I use Johns car for shopping he drives it to work.

In fact have just driven it to my sons school to pick him up (he went to Paultons Park today).

The only time it doesn't get driven is at the weekends (unless we are going somewhere special, going to a meet or it needs fuel). Probably the opposite to many of you guys.

Edited by Boots

The Elise is not very good at being a Van full of tools with ladders on the top.

:popo:

So it does not go out at all during the week. Weekends if i know it's going to be a nice day i'll get up 6am and go for a blast, the best roads here are only empty that sort of time now and you get bags more fun for your miles than on a sunday afternoon.

:yes:

So it has to be a weekend, early, when i have not been out the night before, when it's not pissing it down. Or of i am going to a TLF event of course, and then it's weather regardless (unless it's hundreds and hundreds of miles) as i'm going to meet people and not just for a drive. It's good to get Lotus's wet every now and then, so you can identify all the mild steel bits and then replace them with stainless.

With those factors it can sometimes sit a month in the garage, it can sometimes get used both days of the weekend for several on the trot. Am much more comfortable with the Elise sat for a month than the Esprit, even if it was pissing it down i always got the Esprit out, if only round the block, just to shake the old cobwebs off, otherwise stuff dries up, seizes up, jams, splits, leaks, etc. The Elise has fewer moving parts than a tin opener so i don't have to worry as much.

:thumbsup:

When I have the car in my possession, I usually run it at least twice a month. Many times I will take it from Maryland up to Connecticut, a nice 5.5 hour drive. Upon arrival I would then run my local errands in the Merc or one of the trucks I leave up there. I have discovered that the Esprit is not very well at transporting supplies from Home Depot or Lowes ( like a Homebase for you guys just not as neat...lol ).

I run all of my exotics at least one a month. Exactly for the reasons Paul C just wrote about...

Though I do have to say that the Esprit is a hell of a lot more reliable and fun for a trip than my other ones...thus it goes out more...

for the last 8 or 9 months not at all (manifold , repaired, mnaifold not being supplied, manifold being made etc) but now m.o.t'ed just a couple of warm up runs for the mot (new cat) a couple of small jobs then back to 3 or 4 times a week regardless of weather

It's Oogies turn to boogie

• Gold FFM

have choosen *monthly* as it's not the number of runs for me -more the distance travelled in it. So far nearly 80.000km in 7 years !

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

We took our S4s to France last month and now we are about 100 miles short of the 5000 miles allowed on the agreed mileage for the insurance which expires soon. Enjoyed it so much I will ask for a higher miles "allowance" next year!

:thumbsup:

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

I am generally every weekend unless the rain is really chucking it down. In fairness it does get used evenings during the summer and I will also do the odd day to work as well.

NB this is for the Elise, I daresay my Esprit (once I finally get it back from the bodyshop) will be slightly less although I fully intend to use every weekend where possible.

Everyone keeps telling me I don't use them enough but they are worth a lot to me and I have another car to take the hustle and bustle (supermarket car parks etc)

Twice so far this year...at present stuck away from the beast getting my teeth fixed ( had raging toothache and abcess en route to Dunkirk with the Little Ships)....but average 3000 to 5000 miles a year.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Ian - If you do risk going over your miles this year, for me an extra 1,000 with Adrian Flux was £16!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Could we not re-title this thread - how often do you drive other peoples Lotus? Thanks to other forum members - you know who you are (thank you)

I'd be able to give a much more positive answer :thumbsup:

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Pretty sporadic use for me not really related to weather conditions, just where I'm going and what I need to take/carry. This w/e I'm off to friends in Cheltenham, but I'll need the Rangey cos they dont drive so we need the seats. But then its a Lotus for 100 miles round trip to Ian's, then ~500 miles round trip to Snetterton, then 300miles round trip to Gaydon, then maybe Goodwood FoS etc so this time of year they get used loads. Over winter after the NEC Classic show in Nov....not much at all.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

5OOO mile policy and i could quite happily change that to 500 miles a year :horse: Spend more time building cars than driving them!

The best miles i have done over the last year have been in the silver V8 conversion, Loved every second and always had a smile on my face.

Regards danny

A

The Lotus is the only one of my cars that actually works right now, so I get to drive it every day thumbsup.gif. 10 miles to work along a lovely back road is a great way to start (and end) the day!

When I eventually get the 205 back on the road I will share the driving between the two, but when you only have old cars you tend to need more than one...!rolleyes.gif

Scott

Depends on the season. Summer, it gets a few small runs in the week and hopefully one decent one at the weekend. Winter it sits in the garage on the charger as I don't bother fitting it with a set of winter tyres and to be honest the Subaru is probably much more fun on snow and ice.

I'm ashamed to say I covered 700 miles last year :horse:

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I cannot decide on which one to vote on.

I managed to drive her 2ft back and 2ft forward at xmas (howling down with rain and then came the snow), which was the first time since the previous xmas :)

I may get chance again from the end of September when the Canada contract is ending, but then again, I am considering putting my name down for a years tour of Afghanistan now :horse:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

In the summer about every two weeks I try to drive one of them.

Excuses? - Well, I work silly hours during the week and at weekends I generally want to catch up with the family.

Sounds silly but just owning and knowing that I could drive them (if I had the time) is often enough to justify the cost of maintaining them.

It also means I don't search the classifieds looking to scratch some very expensive supercar itch.