Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 157 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you UNHAPPY today!

rocket63

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 05/11/2022 at 21:18, Alfa2Evora said:

Beginning to feel that I should maybe just lie down in the middle of the pavement somewhere with a sign

People would just assume you were a stop the oil protestor and the police would turn up and offer you a cuppa and free pizza. Well, that would be your supper sorted at least! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Reminds me of my brother’s 1965 MG Midget Mk2 (1098cc) back in about 1990. He stuck it in a ditch, so decided to get the bodywork completely restored and re-sprayed at a guy we knew a couple of miles away. A few weeks later the professional work was all done, but the car needed finishing at home (bumpers, grille, lights, trim etc). My dad decided to tow it back with his TR7 with me steering the Midget and giving hand signals where necessary. Unfortunately I missed the braking point at a right turn off the main road and rolled straight into the tow bar of the stationary Triumph! The freshly painted front valance of the MG was all crumpled. We sheepishly turned the cars round and headed straight back to the bodyshop and a rather bemused proprietor. We sourced a replacement panel and all was well second time round.

I remember the MG’s registration number and have just done a DVLA check, but the last tax expired in 2001, so I guess it’s no longer with us.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63577744

Garrick was a true gentleman - he could make almost anything on his lathe in his lounge at home. A real character I had the pleasure to drink with over the last couple of years.

RIP Garrick.

Only here once

RIP Garrick.  Too many great artists are leaving us this year.  

Barry...I'm happy you were able to spend some time with him.  I've met my share of musicians due to a former job and being a musician as well.  Boy, Lemmy was a real character when I was introduced to him.  His choice of cologne was definitely cannabis powered.  I'm afraid I've never met Sir Bob or Garrick, but I consider it a gift when your able to meet and get to know famous musicians (especially your heroes).   And sorry I don't know the other members of the Boomtown Rats.  Usually, I'm pretty familiar with English musicians.  However, I do like "Up All Night" and "I Don't Like Mondays".  I hope the other members of the group were able to enjoy royalties from those songs.

• Like 1

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

2 things today

Daughter failed her driving test :( Didn't drive in a bus lane when she could, and failed to look behind her properly when reverse parking. I think she did look but didn't make it obvious that she had. Seems very harsh. 

Got a letter from Barclays in the post when I got home

• "Please take action: we need to close your account"
  • Reason - At least one of the addresses we currently have for you, or someone on your account, is outside the UK. WTF?

All my personal accounts - chequing, savings, joint savings, 2 x children's savings accounts. Not the joint mortgage account though.

Been with Barclays 41 years, although they did close my account with a balance in it while I was out of the country, so I had to open a brand new one in 2005.

On the phone to them at the moment. On hold while they check it out. Have asked them what is this non UK address - this is what they have had to go and check.

Well they wouldn't tell me, but said that I have a joint savings account and should check with the joint savings account - yes with my wife, who is in the other room, not in a foreign country. Who is also the joint account holder on the mortgage.

Advised that everything is OK (but won't tell me the foreign address), and that I should check again in 48 hours. I will be going into a branch for this.

@ChrisJI'd suggest remind them that you are the subject of the data and can get your wife on the call who is the other, and so they'd better advise which address as you''ll formally demand via  Subject access request (now zero cost and they have to include all data) and then progress as formal complaint with compensation for the unreasonable removal of banking services and distress.

@andydclements - I'll do that on Friday in branch as I have a feeling the call centre I was connected to was not in the UK. There was no mention of GDPR, just nothing forthcoming when I asked what the foreign address was.

Sorry to hear of your banking issue.  Definitely want to hear how you resolve this mess.  I'm sure your daughter is upset.  Would she have passed if it were just one fault?

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Read it and weep! This is British Justice.

Three Suffolk police officers let down by the Crown Prosecution Service

15 November 2022

We are disheartened to hear that three police officers have sensationally been let down by the Crown Prosecution Service.

The officers, who were assaulted whilst on duty, had their case thrown out of court due to a shortage of available barristers. The Judge refused to adjourn the case and directed that not guilty verdicts should be recorded.

Whilst we understand the current backlog and pressures on the system are having an effect on criminal justice, this cannot be allowed to continue. Victims are being let down, losing hope and left feeling that their experience is irrelevant.

The suspect in question has 161 previous convictions including offences of assaults on police officers. We now have a suspect who has effectively been let off with no punishment for his actions. How can police officers be expected to uphold law and order when we are not supported to do so by the CPS?

This is just one example of where our police officers are being let down by the criminal justice system. Not only are our officers feeling disrespected and dejected, but this is an enormous waste of resources following the countless hours it will have taken to prepare the case file just for it to be thrown out. The last minute nature of the decision meant the force were left short in their numbers, given that the three officers, plus two additional officers who were witnesses, had been warned for court. The domino impact of this decision is plain to see.

This is simply unacceptable.

Our officers put themselves in harm’s way every day to protect the public and all too often are assaulted in the process. What message does this send to them - that they are not valued or respected? What message does it send to those intent on harming officers, or indeed others - that there will be no consequences due to a backlogged system and lack of barristers?

The criminal justice system has failed our members. We need reassurance that this will not happen again in cases involving our colleagues, or indeed in any case. The system needs fixing, immediately.

Darren Harris, chair of Suffolk Police Federation which represents the three officers involved in the incident, has also condemned the outcome of the case.

“In the past, the Federation has criticised courts for handing out seemingly lenient sentences when police officers have been assaulted and abused, saying that offenders had escaped with little more than a slap on the wrist,” says Darren.

“But, in this case it seems that this individual didn’t even get a slap on the wrist. It is beyond belief that they have been able to walk away completely scot-free for this despicable abuse of police officers just going about their duties.

“Not only does this mean that they have completely escaped justice, but it also sends out completely the wrong message to others. Where is the deterrent when someone can be accused of this type of offence and then simply see the case dropped?

“Police officers put their lives on the line to serve and protect the public and the very least that they should expect in return is a criminal justice system that punishes those who fail to respect their unique position in society.

“An attack on a police officer is an attack on society itself and this is why our successful Protect the Protectors campaign resulted in the Government giving courts the ability to hand out far tougher sentences for those who assault the police or other members of the emergency services.

“However, we now need the courts to use the stronger sentencing powers they have. While we appreciate that the courts are struggling due to a shortage of barristers, this cannot be allowed to prevent justice being done – for our members, for the police service and for the wider public.”

Darren’s views have been echoed by the three officers involved in the incident.

One said: “I am very disappointed and feel let down by the system. We are here to protect victims and when we are victims ourselves doing our duty the offender is allowed to walk away with no consequences.”

Another added: “I am disappointed with the decision and frustrated we get assaulted in the line of duty and the court doesn’t seem to care.”

The third officer said: “I am angry. What is the point of recording a crime of assault if it won’t go anywhere? All the work that goes into case feels like it’s not worth it.”

• Sad 8

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

used this little palm router yesterday (only used a few times b4) and i thought ouch a shock ?? as i touched the shiny part of the body so today i put a meter on it and 81v to earth !! its double insulated too ! , cheap flea bay purchase but !!! 😔

IMG_20221118_114131712[1].jpg

• Sad 2

Not good. My ones fine so far!!!!!! Handy thing, not as good as my Makita version but perfect for buzzing corners off. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2022 at 20:06, ChrisJ said:

Advised that everything is OK (but won't tell me the foreign address), and that I should check again in 48 hours. I will be going into a branch for this.

Follow-up to this. I went into the branch and the assistant said, but this is a UK address. Yes, I replied, so what is the foreign address? Lots of confusion from a number of other assistants. Finally it came out that Barclaycard had a work address in Uganda for me - which is strange in that yes I did work in Uganda pre 2005, but I didn't bank with Barclays there. I did use my Barclaycard in the bank a few times, but I'd have come across as a tourist I guess.

No idea why this has suddenly become an issue 17 years later. All sorted (I think), and there is a letter on it's way to me, so I'll see what it says in a few days time.

Possibly one of the results of a new computer system at the bank, they have managed to trawl through loads of dormant accounts on any Barclays subsidiaries etc, to sweep them up into one place.

When I worked at Barclaycard (1993-2007 ish), they introduced a new system and were attempting to rationalise / de dupe multiple accounts .

Something definitely changed re. The banks. Have had my business account blocked 4 times in the last week

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I've had to submit extra info to confirm my account with Barclays that I've had for the last 5 years. They said it's because the business is registered at my accountants address. Took some to-ing and fro-ing but all done now gladly. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Had dinner tonight in London,  business, with someone who claimed close historical personal  links with the Sinn Fein (IRA).

Did not know in advance. Did not want to know.

Got a bit awkward when they tried to say UK bombings were not significant, and I mentioned:

I missed the Bomb in Warrington by 15 minutes. Would have been killed otherwise 

My wifes cousin was killed in the Tower of London bombing - only woman in that event.

My mate from school, an 18 year old squaddie, was dragged, with his mate, from their car on route back to England from their base in Germany, and shot in the back of the head - an execution ..

Ho hum. Different times now but (probably a surprise to some on here) I remained calm and civil.

• Sad 3

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

14 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Had dinner tonight in London,  business, with someone who claimed close historical personal  links with the Sinn Fein (IRA).

Did not know in advance. Did not want to know.

Got a bit awkward when they tried to say UK bombings were not significant, and I mentioned:

I missed the Bomb in Warrington by 15 minutes. Would have been killed otherwise 

My wifes cousin was killed in the Tower of London bombing - only woman in that event.

My mate from school, an 18 year old squaddie, was dragged, with his mate, from their car on route back to England from their base in Germany, and shot in the back of the head - an execution ..

Ho hum. Different times now but (probably a surprise to some on here) I remained calm and civil.

So sorry to hear this and Yes, I was surprised to hear this!  I recently watched and loved Derry Girls on Netflix which I believe is set in this turbulent timeframe.  Not sure if you seen it, but I'm guessing it might not be accurate depiction since it's a comedy?    My British history was focused more on the music scene since I "was" a professional musician at one time.  That must have been an unpleasant and awkward dinner.  Would you say it was as if you were dining with an old arch enemy?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, march said:

Some B$£stard has syphoned our Heating oil tank. It's not even worth mentioning to the Police as they completely useless around here.

I hope they used a tube and sucked some of it into their lungs at least.  I'm sure that stuff doesn't taste too good.