Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 100 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you UNHAPPY today!

rocket63

You think that's bad - we have literally just found the main telephone line for us and the local farms with a mini digger - It was next to the house and less than two inches under the surface and only intermittently in ducting.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

@Chillidoggy we wouldn’t have bothered with all that chasing we would have laid it on top of the carpet so you could see it and step over it! 

I was talking to our NICEIC inspector a few years ago, he is a top chap unlike others we have had. Anyway I asked what was the worse thing he had ever seen. Well, and I am not making this up and I don’t think he was, he said a women had, had a double socket outlet installed inside a shower so she could lean out pick up her hairdryer and dry her hair in the there 😂😂

when I tested my house when we moved in I found 3 sockets has been wired in speaker cable! Speaker cable is cheap so we now only use that for everything 

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, pete said:

Bloody amateur electricians 

IMG-20200723-WA0003.thumb.jpg.8f0bc15c3734f947339caf940a668091.jpg

Frankly - all of that looks like Data, telephone or cctv cabling. Enough said really. 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I know the reason for such "ingenuity" of that wiring - at the top of the stairs will be two floor beams butted together that would need to be drilled for the cables to go through to be under the floor boards. I know because I had to do it! An impressive auger drill bit and a burnt out drill clutch later I got through the joists (permissible hole size for joist size and centred too ;) ).

@pete, if you are going to make this right and plan to run the cables under the floor and need to cut holes in your floor, don't do the usual "drill a hole and jigsaw out a square and batten later" routine, it never sits flush again and the pieces move after being walked on! I found out about Routabout and it was a total godsend:

Routabout, Underfloor Access

I could write a book with all the bodge jobs we've found in the house we moved in to last year.

• Like 1

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Oh my gosh - I simply cannot believe that they have done that. The BBC have managed to find new lows since the death of their mate Jimmy Saville

Only here once

To be fair, the advert for Micky D or KFC is nothing at all to do with the BBC.

Re the same sex kiss, it's just PC gone mad. I also read several stories on the BBC website about people complaining they had sex change therapy, that despite them demanding, they are now saying they should not have received as they were too young and as a result they want to sue the NHS for "doing it to them".  FFS - the UK really is going nuts.

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

And now a a convicted Nigerian fraudster who was deported is being brought back to Britain on the orders of a judge as he had a right to have his appeal heard here. He claims he will be persecuted in Nigeria because he was bisexual

• Sad 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Seriously, I would pay aliens to abduct me right now.

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

13 hours ago, Sparky said:

Seriously, I would pay aliens to abduct me right now.

I'll start a crowdfunder!

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I washed my car Saturday evening (well, I'm that old the only clubbing I'll now ever do is with seals out on the ice - a free drink at the TLF Christmas do to the person who identifies the band from the eighties from that clue!) and by 2045 was all done and she sparkled.

Thought to self - hmmm, if I put her in the garage now she'll only go and seize on her brake discs. So, man brain says  -take her for a quick spin to warm and dry the brakes then get her tucked up in the garage. So popped head into the living room and told the boss was just going for a quick spurt to dry the brakes.

2 hours and the best part of 140 miles later she's safely tucked up in the garage and the brakes are nice and warm and dry.

Well bugger me, go into the garage Sunday morning and some absolute mother "whatever" has only obviously broken in and thrown dirt all down the sides and all over the rear bumper of my beloved Evora!

Not happy. She needed another wash Sunday morning. And a quick drive to dry the brakes.... :whistle:

Just had the quote for re-roofing the house - £32,000.00 and that's not the most expensive quote we have had 😖. Unfortunately it's not something we can leave since the amount of damage last winters storms caused.

• Sad 1

If you'd like Marc, pop me the quote over and I'll have some friends go over it. I've got a lot of roofers I work with now with the drone and I can ask them if you're getting reasonable quotes or people are being a bit strong. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Will the insurance help?

51 minutes ago, Bibs said:

If you'd like Marc, pop me the quote over and I'll have some friends go over it. I've got a lot of roofers I work with now with the drone and I can ask them if you're getting reasonable quotes or people are being a bit strong. 

Thanks for the offer - the people we have finally settled on are highly recommended locally (and were the only ones to do a proper survey of the roof before quoting), and SWMBO obeyed wants to go for proper slate. Oh and the price also includes all soffets, facia and guttering and a couple of other bits. The problem we have is if we delay any more we will be well into the winter (we started trying to organise this last August, almost a year ago) and the roof will definitely not survive another bad storm.

One roofer really pee'd me off when he stated they up'ed the price for people in Devon, if we lived in Cornwall it would be cheaper - and he lives locally and travels miles to get work in Cornwall. Suffice to say he didn't get the job based on the lack of intelligence of someone who would prefer to travel well over an hour each way to do a job rather than charge the same rate for a job on his doorstep.

The quotes we have received have been between £26,000.00 and about £38,000.00 but several spent the morning looking at the roof and we never heard from them again. By the way we don't live in a mansion just a bungalow!

51 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Will the insurance help?

The problem is we really need the whole roof done rather than keep patching it. Also I am sure there will be a caveat somewhere stating the roof has to be in good repair.

To be honest the way we have been treated by the majority of builders, roofers, groundworks people (we are having quite a lot done) I really hope there is a bad recession for the building trade and they really suffer as they have acted like real sh1t$ and liars. Sounds horrible but they really must have it too good around here if they can treat potential customers this badly. Do I sound bitter! We actually seriously considered selling up at one point so we could buy somewhere with all the work already done, it got that bad.

Understood @march. I've had lots of work done by Builders over the years. In general, General Builders are complete and utter shites. Unreliable. Stop / start approach. Quick to start, long to finish. Quality questionable. Nothing ever their fault.

Had a large wall bit, probably 10ft drop on one side, drive on the other side where the wall is about 2ft high. Wall started to bow in the middle, notice movement in the coping stone. Builder came round - oh, you received into the wall!  FFS - not a mark anywhere. Not a scratch on the wall. So god knows how he came to that conclusion - oh yes, it would deflect from his shit building.

Spent a grand on an Engineer to inspect the wall (I took lots of pictures when he was building it) that I shared with him. His findings (a grand later!) was that the wall was incorrectly built. No drainage holes and insufficient foundations and underpinnings.

Sent the report to the builder 3 months ago. Still to get his response!   Nuff said. I'm off to court as can't be arsed arguing with him....

So, good luck with your roof @March. And don't bother with a modern new build - you'll be rebuilding the whole house within ten years!!!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, march said:

The quotes we have received have been between £26,000.00 and about £38,000.00 but several spent the morning looking at the roof and we never heard from them again. By the way we don't live in a mansion just a bungalow

Wow - that’s some bloody roof that - I remember well the pain of fitting copper tingles when fitting this roof. First slate (well imitation) roof I’d ever done.9859297F-C2AF-49D9-B821-9E4A5A3C0B87.thumb.jpeg.e2c3eff29b3a58ac346a062b497204a0.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

That's a hell of a garage that @Barrykearley. Now I see why you bought the Evora as you needed something truly worthy to go into it...

• Haha 1