Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 101 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you UNHAPPY today!

rocket63

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As I have said before no local authority building inspectors left all insurance based if you see one at all. Odds on builder will go bust if he gets a sniff of a court case

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

In defence of the builder - unless there’s a specification that’s been laid down - it’s gonna be nigh on impossible to win. 

Only here once

5 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

In defence of the builder - unless there’s a specification that’s been laid down - it’s gonna be nigh on impossible to win. 

Builder designed and built it. If it is not fit for purpose then his issue not mine. He has a duty of care / professionalism.

He's also the son of the main farmer who's parents I know will go ape shit when I involve them lol - every bit of advantage will be played....  hahaha

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

Yes he does have a duty of care - but that could stop at the legal limits of his skill base. The best you can probably hope for is a refund - the consequential loss of stripping and rebuilding I doubt you’ll be able to pin on him. What a bloody knightmare.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

After having built the rest of it, I started doing the garage roof myself:

image.png.c2f0ed5fa2bd556b6187441e423c4132.png

But quickly realised a) I wasn't enjoying it, b) I don't like heights and c) life's too short. Got a (general) builder in, of course they charged an arm and a leg, but very happy with the end result:

image.png.080834370db0de632b6917a0416a2f2b.png

Bit of a theme going here.   Did mine back in 05.   Once you have the scaffolding up and hire a  a bumpa to lift the tiles up top it pretty basic, not too complicated.     Loads of info on the net aboout how to do it.    With a good scaffold around you it almost feels like you are on the ground.

DSC00845.JPG

• Like 2

Hey fellas, can’t argue that there are some real rough builders out there with very poor moral compasses, they are normally found in the local pub on a friday telling anyone that will listen how much money they have got.They also view clients as prey

Good builders seldom have to look for new work and normally work for the same group of customers on a recurring basis. I learnt a long time ago to avoid the potential customer that “knew the price of everything and the value of nothing”

A good rule of thumb is to research, research more and speak to previous clients, that have had out of the ordinary projects completed and are happy, also, it’s a sort of semi secret society, best way in is introduction from a friend or colleague. I might sound as mad as a hatter...... but that’s been my experience

The real measure of value is having it done properly

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Francisco Franco said:

The real measure of value is having it done properly

Spot on and thats why most of the time I do it myself.   I have the time and inclination to do the job right.      The infomation is out there as are most of the tools.  I quite enjoy getting stuck into a new type of job and learnng a new skill.    Most of it is like doing a rebuild on an old car, break it into smaller jobs and work your way through.

• Like 2

Funnily enough I'm on the cusp of setting up a building company with a friend to help him out of a tricky work situation. 

In my very limited experience, builders may be good (as my pal is, his work ethic is exceptional and he's a very talented chippy/general builder) but their knowledge of business/customer service is limited. I think there's most certainly lots of gaps in the market for a company which can offer both. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Most general builders have no forward planning, they operate day to day

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

10 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Yes he does have a duty of care - but that could stop at the legal limits of his skill base. The best you can probably hope for is a refund - the consequential loss of stripping and rebuilding I doubt you’ll be able to pin on him. What a bloody knightmare.

The ironic thing is I bought a cement mixer about 18 years ago and built a double skinned brick retaining wall (he used blocks) about 8 foot high by 20 foot wide and it's still standing now. No issues. Fcuking cowboys lol....

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, Bibs said:

Funnily enough I'm on the cusp of setting up a building company with a friend to help him out of a tricky work situation. 

In my very limited experience, builders may be good (as my pal is, his work ethic is exceptional and he's a very talented chippy/general builder) but their knowledge of business/customer service is limited. I think there's most certainly lots of gaps in the market for a company which can offer both. 

Think you are spot on here @Bibs. Having had a lot of work done on the house, we've often said that there is a gap in the market for a highly trusted national turnkey service where the customer service is managed through a group with experience.

Oddly, these aren't about. I don't understand how there is still not a national company doing this.

• Gold FFM

Because as you scale a business - you simply cannot keep the personal involved touch - nor keep consistent quality. Just look at the shambolic new house builders we have.

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Or appoint a good Marketing Director to uphold the company strategy of quality work with processes transparent to the customer, whose job it would be to keep the financial controller in line. 

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Robin, have you considered a career in comedy?

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

1 minute ago, RobinB5 said:

Or appoint a good Marketing Director to uphold the company strategy of quality work with processes transparent to the customer, whose job would then be made redundant by the financial controller so he could hold the line. 

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

OK, so they'd probably have to be a (well paid) CEO as well, right? It would be his job to ensure continued profitability by ensuring the unique selling point of the entire operation (quality work with transparent processes) was not undermined by slapping down the financial controller (who's probably a financial director by this point) and supporting the marketing director when necessary. Point being that it's a good idea and it would, as usual, be up to senior management to make it work, or being responsible for it failing. 

• Gold FFM

Frankly I’m already greatly saddened by the lack of BAME and LGBTZXY+WSTREGH representation within the board room. I think we need a campaign to make this company more accountable 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Don't worry Barry, we will hire with equal percentage representation for every minority group. Don't worry about qualifications, as long as they are the right minority I'm sure the rest will sort itself out.

• Haha 1