free hit
counters
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 102 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What made you UNHAPPY today!

Robin, have you considered a career in comedy?

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Choice 1 - leave it there and replace all the parts that fail due to lack of use Choice 2 - drive it all year and replace all the parts that fail due to plenty of use   Mine's on 74k an

when youve left your Lotus Elite at the garage in Whaley Bridge https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49231384 and the owner sends you a message saying the garage has been flooded

Being given a “months not years” prognosis for your wife  

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, RobinB5 said:

Or appoint a good Marketing Director to uphold the company strategy of quality work with processes transparent to the customer, whose job would then be made redundant by the financial controller so he could hold the line. 

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

It’s ok - the director of HR - who’s also a mate of Sir Kier would stop any of that happening 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

OK, so they'd probably have to be a (well paid) CEO as well, right? It would be his job to ensure continued profitability by ensuring the unique selling point of the entire operation (quality work with transparent processes) was not undermined by slapping down the financial controller (who's probably a financial director by this point) and supporting the marketing director when necessary. Point being that it's a good idea and it would, as usual, be up to senior management to make it work, or being responsible for it failing. 

• Gold FFM

Frankly I’m already greatly saddened by the lack of BAME and LGBTZXY+WSTREGH representation within the board room. I think we need a campaign to make this company more accountable 

Only here once

Don't worry Barry, we will hire with equal percentage representation for every minority group. Don't worry about qualifications, as long as they are the right minority I'm sure the rest will sort itself out.

• Haha 1
  • Gold FFM

@Ali tuck - you are quite correct, the general perception is that builders are shite and to be honest, the reputation can only come from experience and so if those in the trade want to change the perception then need to be the change and drive standards up.

It's not just Builders. Car Salesmen get a bad rep. Estate Agents. Etc. By and large they are well deserved reputations.

I've got a superb plumber. The work he does is a dream. However I've been "nagging" him for 8 months to fix a shower. Got other stuff for him to do as well so he could turn it into a few days well paid work.

I never quibble on price. Once agreed that is the price and I often offer to pay up to 40% upfront to cover materials etc and pay on time - i.e. I get the bill and it is paid within 5 days max, cash in bank to builder. So maybe I'm a shite customer. But in return all I expect is good comms (very rarely get it) and a quality job done and finished (sometimes get it).

So yes, shite builders. Shite customers. But the cycle needs to change.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I’ve a very effective way of avoiding really shit customers - but if I mention the secret method on here - I’ll get lambasted by the left wingers 

Only here once

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

It's not just Builders. Car Salesmen get a bad rep. Estate Agents. Etc. By and large they are well deserved reputations.

I've got a superb plumber. The work he does is a dream. However I've been "nagging" him for 8 months to fix a shower. Got other stuff for him to do as well so he could turn it into a few days well paid work.

It's shit everywhere and why - because everyone wants the cheapest price, so we get a service based upon what can be charged. The few that don't chase down cheapest quote are not a big enough percentage to maintain a quality supply of availability so those that do a good job and won't quote cheap are so in demand that they can't fit people in quickly and struggle to return calls because they are busy dealing with their current customer.

I have the same issue in my industry - insurance - 99% of people buy the cheapest policy (just see posts on here) and are then surprised that their claims are adjusted to the minimum possible - quelle surprise, why do you think they are cheaper?

As regards tradesmen, it is exactly why I pretty much do everything myself, so I can schedule when I want and know it will be done to my standard. The new house has clearly had some real quality work done on it in the past, but me being me I pull up every floorboard that has been removed before to see what has been done and have so far had to repair 2 wires which had been partially drilled through by tradesmen. One with 2 inches of live, neutral and earth exposed (and I mean the copper core) with nothing on it at all and another where the neutral was exposed for about 5mm and a half arsed attempt to put 3 inches of electrical tape round it.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

• Gold FFM
52 minutes ago, Colin P said:

those that do a good job and won't quote cheap are so in demand that they can't fit people in quickly and struggle to return calls because they are busy dealing with their current customer.

Can afford to pay someone in their office to field the calls etc.  It's called customer service and some people, myself included, are happy to pay for quality.

The irony is that the people who penny pinch on a "proper trade job" are usually the dickheads who then go out and pay for a so-so "premium badged" car from the likes of Audi etc. In other words, they are fools easily parted with their money which is why the trades then also rip them off.

Carpenters generally make better builders than bricklayers who make up the majority of builders.

Often my quote or someone else's is giving to others with the hope they can beat the price which invariably they can because they haven't got to sit down for 2:or 3 days working it out.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

@pete I've seen your work; I'd take your quote!

• Like 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Can afford to pay someone in their office to field the calls etc.  It's called customer service and some people, myself included, are happy to pay for quality 

Yes but not enough people feel like that. 

7 hours ago, Ali tuck said:

As an accountant of 35+ years I do get mightily pissed off with the  ‘all accountants are shit‘ tag.agreed some are shit but many are not and work extremely hard and turn out quality work day in,day out.

FTFY

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Colin P said:

have the same issue in my industry - insurance - 99% of people buy the cheapest policy (just see posts on here) and are then surprised that their claims are adjusted to the minimum possible - quelle surprise, why do you think they are cheaper?

Hmmm.... now I’ve seen big prices and more cost effective prices from different brokers - yet the same underwriter and same terms. Are you really telling me there’s a difference there?

please do educate my ignorance 

Only here once

What made me unhappy today, getting a phonecall on the way home from a day out with my son. The business I work for are taking a different route to market and going from 390 to 90 staff. I could be redundant before Christmas.

• Gold FFM
54 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Hmmm.... now I’ve seen big prices and more cost effective prices from different brokers - yet the same underwriter and same terms. Are you really telling me there’s a difference there?

Like all things there is a difference in product on offer and the attitude to the way that claims are handled when they happen. I was really referring to personal lines and motor in particular, but it is true across the industry. 

If you go with the cheapest insurer who you’ve never heard of and write your car off, don’t be surprised if their “market value” is a lot less than that which would be offered by a “household name”. 

Are you saying that you have 2 different quotes from different brokers based on the same cover with the same insurer?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yes chap - markerpoint I believe was the underwriter. I’ve never been a fan of some of the umm bargain basement places - but some of the practices of even the best ones in the event of a claim can get somewhat annoying. You only need to see Bibs household claim to see the very clear issues.

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Insurers offer different prices (for the same risk) depending on distribution channel. More cost effective channels get better premiums. 

Bit like when I went shopping and bought chocolate digestives at Waitrose, got home and was told that the same ones are 30% cheaper at Lidl (whatever that is).

Markerpoint? not heard of them but Markerstudy are insurance brokers not underwriters i.e. they simply pass the risk on and take a commission.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I can’t defend the entire industry, or pretend that things don’t go wrong. Same can be said for every industry. I can say that my company and colleagues put in massive effort to make sure that “we always do the right thing“. 

4 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

insurance brokers not underwriters i.e. they simply pass the risk on and take a commission.

And different commissions at that, which will be reflected in the price. If the insurer needs £100. One broker demands £10 commission and the other £20, guess what the premium will be for each. 

• Like 1

Markerstudy just let almost 500 staff go last month. It's a highly competitive market out there.

I'm no fan boy of the insurance industry but I know its poor reputation is often undeserved.