free hit
counters
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 105 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What made you UNHAPPY today!

I apologise the main topic today was escalators! I have taken Sparkles advice and drunk my way through it 

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Choice 1 - leave it there and replace all the parts that fail due to lack of use Choice 2 - drive it all year and replace all the parts that fail due to plenty of use   Mine's on 74k an

Being given a “months not years” prognosis for your wife  

R.I.P. GUS The saddest of days and news we wished we never had to share. Our boy, one in a million, so much love, pleasure and laughter, loved by all. We had to make that hard call last Sunday 8t

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Surely that dilutes the gin/tonic ratio?

A peculiarly UK misconception. Sufficient ice cools the gin well enough that the ice doesn't melt thereby not diluting the gin.

8 hours ago, Sparky said:

Indeed, therefore I use a mitigation technique that I like to call 'more gin'.

Belt and braces for me. More ice and more gin.  It's the only way to be certain

• Like 1
23 hours ago, 100th_Idiot said:

A peculiarly UK misconception. Sufficient ice cools the gin well enough that the ice doesn't melt thereby not diluting the gin.

Belt and braces for me. More ice and more gin.  It's the only way to be certain

Sadly not the case. The heat being transferred to the ice cube increases the average kinetic energy of the gin molecules resulting in the breakdown of the crystal structure of ice and transition to the liquid state - the melting of the ice cube. Ergo, the gin is diluted by the melting ice cube.

That said, I wholeheartedly concur with your last statement, indeed, I have followed such advice for many years, and found it to be most efficacious.

Margate Exotics.

Thus begins a new research phase.  If I can somehow link it to climate change, I'll get a huge grant too.  Game on.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Sadly not the case. The heat being transferred to the ice cube increases the average kinetic energy of the gin molecules resulting in the breakdown of the crystal structure of ice and transition to the liquid state - the melting of the ice cube. Ergo, the gin is diluted by the melting ice cube.

Yep, although the surface of the ice cube will always be at ~0 degC the gin surrounding it will never cool down to 0 degC thus will always be (relatively) warm enough to melt the ice and dilute itself. Unless the glass/cup is totally adiabatic but then who'd want to drink gin out of a thermos flask?

15 minutes ago, RobinB5 said:

Yep, although the surface of the ice cube will always be at ~0 degC the gin surrounding it will never cool down to 0 degC thus will always be (relatively) warm enough to melt the ice and dilute itself. Unless the glass/cup is totally adiabatic but then who'd want to drink gin out of a thermos flask?

You haven’t met my wife, have you?

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

It's not the journey; it's the destination.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

You can get an awful amount of gin in a thermos flask, so thanks for that, might go to bed now 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Booked in for 4 year service, Ouch! :popo:

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

• Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, Colin P said:

Booked in for 4 year service, Ouch! :popo:

Why is the 4th year service cost 4x that of year 1 and 3 and 2x that of year 2?  That's crazy but iirc you can cut that cost significantly by sourcing your own spark plugs (or you could previously).

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Not sure what the form is with the Lotus fixed price servicing, but my dealer (website) is still showing the annual service at £450 against the GT410 price of £280,  whereas the 4year is £940 against Lotus’ GT410 official £950. Presuming the 400 and 410 would be exactly the same. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

• Gold FFM

Yup. I got my prices from the Lotus service release. £250, £450, £950 is roughly the A, B, C service cost. What a spread.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

my younger sister moved 2 weeks ago to Immingham which it has been announced today is a storage depot for ammonium nitrate

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I doubt she's in any real danger @pete as they can only store a lot less there than went up in Beirut, and I doubt many importers want to pay storage fees for long periods so it's not likely to degrade while there in Lincolnshire.

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Yup. I got my prices from the Lotus service release. £250, £450, £950 is roughly the A, B, C service cost. What a spread.

They are doing a buffet too? Cool :P

• Haha 1

Ouch! Is that your car Pete, you ok?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Took me a moment to realise the door was open, in the instant before I thought you had really bent it. 🤦‍♂️ 🤭

I assume everyone was OK.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Does the indicator work?

Daft question as it looks like an Audi!

Hope everyone is safe and uninjured in all cars involved. Nothing else is important as just metal and plastic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bibs said:

Ouch! Is that your car Pete, you ok?

Yes mine. Battered and bruised from the seat belt. Car I hit not too good.IMG_20200813_170734.thumb.jpg.2e01695fe423c5ab5cab0f81aa9ad784.jpg

• Sad 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Ouch. As long as everyone walked away chap that’s the main thing. 

Only here once

Hope you're alright Pete. From the damage of both cars I'm going to guess the VW was overtaking in the oncoming lane and you hit as it moved back in?

Signature not working...