free hit
counters
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 108 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What made you UNHAPPY today!

Wow - the builders have hit a new low:

1. The new bathroom ceiling has been plastered but they forgot to get the electrician in to remove the existing ceiling switches light fittings etc.. so the new plastered ceiling will need to be patched before it's even painted as the new plaster goes around the old fittings - if they had said something I could have pulled the wiring through and ripped out the mounts (not exactly hard). So we will have to pay for a 2nd visit from the plasterer to patch everything up- and if there is any visibility of the patching I will be insisting whole ceiling is re-plastered again.

2. The central heating fitters are now bickering with Worcester/Bosch as to why (after 2 oil leaks) the boiler dumped the contents of the radiators into the garage along with why there was an another oil leak in the boiler stinking out the garage (which I had been complaining about but was told it was normal by the fitters). Not looking forward to the boiler being moved next week as it's still in the wrong place.

3. Roofer not started yet despite promises. Scaffolding not turned up yet despite promises it would be here Monday. So we will be re-roofing our house through a Dartmoor winter now, what could possibly go wrong! (we only started organising this 14 months ago).

4. We now have builders rubbish from all the builders jobs, not just ours clogging up the driveway and can no longer get to some of the farm machinery- this really p$$$$d me off.

4. The tiling is pretty shit in places - actually contemplating ripping some out and doing it myself but I don't think I will be allowed by the Mrs.

If there ever was an industry that should go under - this is it. They have all got it too easy!

I was hoping our Ex-Lotus engineer would be a cut above the rest - unfortunately not. We are awaiting him to actually turn up on site rather than just his minions - so far it's a no show again.

To be fair the plasterer did a stunning job around all the old fittings, and our water treatment people who serviced and moved the water system to allow for the new position of the boiler have been brilliant - see I can provide a balanced viewpoint although I do hope there is a special place in Hell for builders.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. great job. You tipped the room 90 deg and emptied the crap out the windows?

Choice 1 - leave it there and replace all the parts that fail due to lack of use Choice 2 - drive it all year and replace all the parts that fail due to plenty of use   Mine's on 74k an

Being given a “months not years” prognosis for your wife  

Posted Images

Just to add to the joys of all this - the tiler has just shown us a whacking great chunk has been taken out of the shower tray that has just been fixed, tiled and grouted in place. FFS

• Gold FFM

Clearing a house as the sale should be able to proceed next week. One room was a hoarder - went from this

56B61D61-0978-499D-B8A3-0C4778D7D884.thumb.jpeg.1e9ddb0b9495d1ec4c77a2da13daa5d1.jpeg

to this5B2EEEEC-C53E-4CCD-8E31-753248C4819A.thumb.jpeg.da2ad3c69646c2d88468e853e8e22852.jpeg

that was an absolutely vile job - trailer and van was absolutely rammed - the fire I’ve just lit down Nobbys was massive. I simply cannot wait to be rid of rental property.

• Sad 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, march said:

Just to add to the joys of all this - the tiler has just shown us a whacking great chunk has been taken out of the shower tray that has just been fixed, tiled and grouted in place. FFS

Just as well you have fibreglass experience? eh? 😉

• Gold FFM

Frankly I don’t want any tenants any more.

The legal side is now stupid - its all completely balanced in favour of the tenant. If they choose not to pay or smash the place up there’s little you can do these days. Eviction via the courts will typically cost you around £1200 and currently can take 6-7 months. Enough is enough for me now - I want out and I want out ASAP. 

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM
Just now, Barrykearley said:

Frankly I don’t want any tenants any more.

The legal side is now stupid - its all completely balanced in favour of the tenant. If they choose not to pay or smash the place up there’s little you can do these days. Eviction via the courts will typically cost you around £1200 and currently can take 6-7 months. Enough is enough for me now - I want out and I want out ASAP. 

Good Luck.

Enjoy Peace, Tranquility and Karma .......

As a  .....  

Lotus Owner  ....  🤣 🤣 😇

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I've been on the outside looking in (not a landlord nor a tenant), but have seen the other side of it. OK, so you are / were a decent landlord, and my mate currently rents from somebody that seems to be a good (or even better than can be hoped-for)  landlord, but the last landlord was awful.  So, I can see why the law has gone that way.

Previous rental property: Day of moving in, shed with wired-in electrics (not extension lead) is found to have a leaky roof with water running into the electric socket and light switch. Letting agent's response was basically-What's the problem with that? If previous property didn't have new tenants arranged he'd have cancelled the move.

During tenancy, Shower leaks causing black mold, response from agents is to say mat needs to clean it more frequently. After several attempts to fix, they find a leaky pipe in the wall which had by that time rotted out the floor beneath the shower.

Garage up&over door, wire for the mechanism snapped, the agents don't fix, saying parts not available. Eventually gets to point where door cannot be opened or fully closed.

Two storey house, with just one smoke detector and that's a PP3 battery type (apparently should be long-life battery or mains), no CO monitor (gas heating etc).

Loads of other faults. Letters sent demanding action, eventually mate sends letter saying he is moving out early and it's directly as a result of the mold causing health problems for two asthmatics, letting agents try and demand rest of the year of rent. Also try and keep deposit for repairs to decoration (despite video inspection of property having shown all as good/ better than when moved in). Went to arbitration, landlord ordered to return full deposit, not entitled to remaining rent and had to pay some rent back. Mate found previous tenants, and they had same sort of problems, but didn't formally complain. Mate got local Env Health involved near the end of the tenancy who were very good and picked up on lots that my mate hadn't realised was wrong.

So, the laws are how they are, because of a bad few landlords. Generally landlords tend to not be going into the arrangement in a vulnerable situation (such as not knowing rights), but some tenants don't know rights etc or aren't able to speak up for themselves and so do need the law to protect them from that small proportion who are rogue landlords. I do feel for you though, because bad tenants drive good landlords away from the market, and you end up left with the rogue landlord left who probably deserve the bad tenants like these ones you've now endured.

Mate's new landlord. If mate reports a problem, reaction is to get builder to do quote and fix almost immediately, and for the fix to be long-term not superficial. Example, conservatory has a leak due to coping stones on wall no longer being secure, so repair that but also rebuild the part of the wall which was exposed to moisture as mortar may be weakened so may cause problems further down the line.  Mate asked to take out massive pond and put in patio, landlord OK with that, but also volunteers to pay for the materials.

• Like 1
On 30/09/2020 at 17:04, Barrykearley said:

Clearing a house as the sale should be able to proceed next week. One room was a hoarder - went from this

56B61D61-0978-499D-B8A3-0C4778D7D884.thumb.jpeg.1e9ddb0b9495d1ec4c77a2da13daa5d1.jpeg

to this5B2EEEEC-C53E-4CCD-8E31-753248C4819A.thumb.jpeg.da2ad3c69646c2d88468e853e8e22852.jpeg

that was an absolutely vile job - trailer and van was absolutely rammed - the fire I’ve just lit down Nobbys was massive. I simply cannot wait to be rid of rental property.

Christ thats even worse than our students  let one of ours in.

Car just rolled down hill and hit my Swift, definitely a write off 🤬😢

Gutted as looked after that car for years and immaculate before this

1F04BD0C-FADE-481D-96E9-ED58254E2B88.thumb.jpeg.e73bfb89091698bdbdbb3273b9dac4f1.jpeg8E76B078-4D76-40D8-9477-C96B28AAF456.thumb.jpeg.914e35006923fbe9c2e6830dc1ca25a6.jpeg

• Sad 7

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

I'm sure that will just polish out and a ceramic coating will get rid of the marks for you!

Seriously, gutted for you!

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Could have been worse as the Elan was parked there all day and only just put away 🙄😐😅

This is the fourth time in 20 years living there as well, last car took out the steps and railings!

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

My 'neighbour from hell' is at it again, 😠.

Ever since he retired (at the age of 50 I might add - nice for some) at the start of the year, not a month has gone past without some project or other taking place and all of them seem to involve lots of noise at close quarters to our house.

I came in from nightshift at 6 this morning and went to bed about 7.30 only to be rudely awakened an hour later by a jack-hammer. Seems he's decided that his textured concrete driveway has got to go and so the contractors are in digging it up. All this is taking place barely 15 feet from my bedroom window. Even through in the conservatory, which is at the other end of the house, it's still clearly audible and as there's too much light there and I can't sleep with earplugs in, I've now given up.

I was supposed to be working again tonight but sleep deprivation and a 44 tonne truck don't really mix so I've had to sub-contract out the job - not just lost sleep but lost income too.

The most annoying thing about it is that on Wednesday morning, as I was taking the dogs out for their first constitutional of the day, he stopped at his gate to chat to me and part of the conversation involved him asking me if I was still working nights - no mention of what was taking place today though! :censored:

The sooner Priti introduces the defence of 'justifiable homicide' into our legal system the better.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Well - house sale completed today - now just have 30 days to settle the tax bill 😭

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Well, since my post above about my 'considerate' neighbour having his concrete driveway ripped-up we have been waiting with baited breath for the next installment, with a week of inclement weather being in our favour.

Unfortunately, our luck has run out. It's been relatively rain-free for the past 48 hours so at 8 o'clock sharp this morning, less than an hour after I had put my head down on the pillow, all hell broke loose again. 😠

A quick glance past the side of the black-out blind confirmed my worst fears - he's having monoblock paving laid. Not in nice easy straight lines though, oh no, but in artistic sweeping curves so that a considerable number of the bricks will need to be trimmed to shape to some extent.

Of course, the only location for the powered circular saw type machine that's being used to cut the bricks is at the corner of their garage, a few feet from my bedroom window - I mean, where else could it go? :censored:

So that's another rest period destroyed, the consequences again being that it's not safe for me to go out driving tonight so another job having to be sub-contracted at short notice with all the financial implications that go with that course of action.

Where there's blame there's a claim? 

• Sad 2

Another unhappy bunny here!. The F'ing Central Heating guys are here to relocate the boiler after the last fiasco, thanks to their efforts the farm no longer has a water supply (water people on their way -who are brilliant, can't recommend them highly enough). Current guess at the problem is that they turned the wrong valve off (having told them precisely what valve to use) and burnt the farms bore hole pump out - there goes another £2000.00. All I get is the scratching of heads and 'not me guv' looks - it's been perfect for 16 years and within an hour of them starting it's buggered. The give away to me was the question 'have you touched the blue valve?' for them to rush out and say no it's OK. Strange they new exactly which valve it was and where it was when I hadn't even mentioned it. Selling up and moving is looking a good option again ☹️ - shame we have started the refurb (Roofers only month and half late to start - next week is the new promised date).

• Sad 1

Well - vast amounts of humble pie being eaten, profuse apologies to the heating guys have been offered. With the water treatment guy we traced back the fault to a cable near the pump that has been chewed through - what are the odds after 16 years that it will go the day that someone is modifying the water system. Water pump is now running but it has been advised we should really get a new one so not all good news.

Have even offered them 'choccie bickies' as an apology.

That's a result all the same, you're £2k up on where you were an hour ago! :thumbup:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Oh sod it, blame the heating engineers anyway, I'm sure it will not bother them.

Logic for it being them: Their presence has upset the delicate balance of the rodent ecosystem and so out of stress the rates chewed the wires as way to end it all.