free hit
counters
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 119 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What made you UNHAPPY today!

rocket63

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Colin P said:

It is also set up to try and make people use planning consultants, they do not like direct applications. 

I can sort of understand this. Given how people in general struggle with even simple instructions can you imagine the quality of some of the submissions. E.g. fag packets with nothing even on the back of them. However, if they made the rules simpler....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Colin Pyou could try a game of bluff. We, along with 3 neighbours, had a reverse type situation a few years ago. The local planners approved an “industrial type” development on rural land opposite us and it was clear that they had failed to follow certain procedures. (Fortunately one of our neighbours had previous experience in legal planning matters)

Since it is not possible for objectors to appeal a planning decision we wrote to the Senior Planner, recorded delivery, stating where they had failed to follow procedure and informed them that we were putting the entire matter in to the hands of a barrister to gain a recognised legal opinion. The Senior Planner quickly reviewed the approval given and withdrew it.

Planning depts do not like going to court, especially if they believe that their decision is not 100% water tight.

It was a bluff that we were prepared to follow through but fortunately the bluff worked.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 09:27, phil flash said:

Why?  I don't get the 17...   

When I saw E9 ORA my first thought was 'shame it's not a 5'  - 5 in Roman numerals being V, but found that's already on a grey Evora.

Mine is Launch Edition #14, and 13th made as Lotus didn't use #13, so 13 or 14 might have some significance for mine, but it's got 9 so that'll do me. It's all trivia anyway.

I chose E9 ORA because it’s a 2009 Evora. I much prefer private plates that refer to the car, rather than the owner. It also appeals to future owners, as you have found. That’s why I also bought X4 GTE for my #4 GTE. Neither plate cost much money, but they certainly enhance the cars IMO.

Anyway my beef today is about greenfield development. This morning I had to drive to an appointment. The direct route proved to be impossible due to a road closure, so I ended up going on a 50 mile round trip through East Northamptonshire, out one way and back another. Due to the pandemic I hadn’t been on those roads for a year. Two things struck me. First how shockingly bad the road surfaces were, even the vital A14 A1/M1 trunk road had big pot holes every few metres. Second was the depressing spread of residential and warehouse development on what was until recently lovely farm land. Every few miles I would see vast swathes of countryside being destroyed by JCB’s finest. Thousands of acres lost forever. Why is this allowed to happen? How do they get planning permission? I remember growing up during the Thatcher years and green belt land was sacrosanct, even during those get-rich-quick years. Why do we need so many new houses? Population growth is stalling (Brexit & CV-19). The local infrastructure cannot cope as it is, but the local authorities will happily take your 6% annual council tax increase each year on top of all the free money from the new residents. You can bet your bottom dollar, that every house will get bought and moved into, the day after it’s completed, so where are these people moving from? They’re not homeless, so are they leaving empty homes? I just don’t see the need for this land grab around all of our towns.

2 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

the local authorities will happily take your 6% annual council tax increase each year on top of all the free money from the new residents. You can bet your bottom dollar, that every house will get bought and moved into, the day after it’s completed,

You overlook the increasing pressure on those gold plated final salary defined benefit related pension schemes, which are becoming more and more underfunded as time goes on due to ever receding investment returns.

They have to keep these schemes funded somehow. They could of course follow private industry and increase employee contributions or change to a defined contribution type scheme but there is a large element of “vested interests” at play.

It is time these local councils were made to show how much of the council & business taxes & other income received  goes in to maintaining these gold plated schemes.

• Gold FFM
On 08/05/2021 at 12:00, PaulCP said:

the local authorities will happily take your 6% annual council tax increase each year on top of all the free money from the new residents.

Don't forget the millions in development payments they get from the developers for these new schemes. That's on top of new annual revenue for the council tax from the people who buy the houses.  Local Authorities are great at one thing usually. Wasting money!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

This is what our wonderful lot decided to do last year - add a cycle lane to both sides of one of the roads into the town centre, just appeared during lockdown 1.

Never seen any cyclist in it, and if you follow the road over the railway, you get this shot

You can no longer enter the car park from this entrance, and yes, that is a cyclist - on the pavement.

• Haha 1

photographic evidence of a cyclist having used the cycle lane :P and yes there is a directional arrow and dropped kerb directing cyclists onto the pavement.😀

• Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, mg4lotus said:

photographic evidence of a cyclist having used the cycle lane :P and yes there is a directional arrow and dropped kerb directing cyclists onto the pavement.😀

Interesting, so if said cyclist followed the directions and hit a pedestrian who would be liable? The cyclist or the council?

It is very common in WGC for the cycle lanes to be on the pavement.

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, ChrisJ said:

It is very common in WGC for the cycle lanes to be on the pavement.

And yet the law says it is unlawful and an offence for cyclists to ride on the pavement!  Not that many cyclists give a shit about the law. They just make it up to suit themselves as they go usually.

• Like 2

The pavement outside my house is one of the rare ones that isn't a shared cycle/footpath, but that doesn't seem to stop them - mostly children who will have been taught to ride on the pavement.

We have a 7/8 ft high hedge and are on a the inside of a bend - so impossible to see what is coming. I am always very wary of coming out of my drive as they cyclists do come at quite a pace across the entrance. Luckily, I am able to use part of the the next door neighbours drive to reverse into before sticking my nose out, so the cyclists "should" be able to see the car before I pull out.

This is from a while back where I used to live. At the end of a cul de sac. Can you imagine how much the council would have been charged for it too! 

Instant Upload 1970-01-01 - 2010-07-16_00002.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Should start a new topic - stupid cycle lanes

408758c780b37393711a2d2580456270--cycle-

Not WGC (I think)

6e968c70b74da2056ba4d68a382072d3.jpg

• Sad 1

They did this in King street Maidstone a year ago, ripped it out a couple of months back , total cost £70k down the toilet.   Nobody ever used it.   Wasting public money like that on an ego trip should be a sackable offence.   Nobody thought repeated speed humps on a cycle lane might mean cyclists use the road like normal.   

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/unpopular-cycle-lane-to-go-240607/

• Sad 1

• Gold FFM

truble is ring fenced budgets !!! spend it or loose it by the year end !! councils should be incentavised to save money not spend it or loose it !!! 😒

Need a plaster or two?

• Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

If it's still in the key, be happy.

And anyway...

16207261129817320541167275178281.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

2 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Need a plaster or two?

You knows it!

Seriously whos idea was that? Jeremy beadle? :lol:

Ive not got the biggest hands in the world.

Old spanner hands - @andydclements must have to get someone into do it for him!

buddsy

• Haha 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• Gold FFM

Loosen it slightly.  Slightly.  Then very gently tap it around with a long screwdriver and the heel of your (unbandaged) hand.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Loosening it is the easy part. I needed to take the cap off. Getting your hand in there to undo the clips is a serious endeavour.... getting the cap back on and the clips done up seems even harder!

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777