free hit
counters
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 92 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What made you UNHAPPY today!

I couldn't come out to Watkins Glen in '89 from Mass so I missed that GT-40 reunion. I moved out this way in '93, but never seen as many since.

Image result for gt40 reunion watkins glen panoramic

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Choice 1 - leave it there and replace all the parts that fail due to lack of use Choice 2 - drive it all year and replace all the parts that fail due to plenty of use   Mine's on 74k an

when youve left your Lotus Elite at the garage in Whaley Bridge https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49231384 and the owner sends you a message saying the garage has been flooded

Being given a “months not years” prognosis for your wife  

Posted Images

Had to replace the front vented discs on my custom transit after only 30,000 miles. One of the discs had separated into two .

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, pete said:

Had to replace the front vented discs on my custom transit after only 30,000 miles. One of the discs had separated into two .

Must source them from MINI. Wife’s JCW had rear discs and pads at 15k and fronts at£20k. She drives like Miss Daisy too, although she does like a dab of the brakes.  I once followed her in the lotus. Between me touching the brakes once and the next time I counted her brake lights come on over 20 times :shock:

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Just had a reply back from the Highland Council regarding my claim for a new tyre (over £200 and only replaced a few months ago) after hitting a pothole just before Christmas. Claim denied on the usual excuse of they didn't know about it so how can they fix it, which I think is BS as there's evidence of a previous repair.

In law, ignorance is not an excuse but it seems it is for the council! 

IMG_5251.thumb.jpg.a2121581f4dabe3525908691559685d2.jpg

IMG_5258.thumb.jpg.342de3b9339cea70dea45e10c18df155.jpg

IMG_5370.JPG.5ce66195842b9f5660cf3285e4f085b4.JPG

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Mysterae said:

Just had a reply back from the Highland Council regarding my claim for a new tyre (over £200 and only replaced a few months ago) after hitting a pothole just before Christmas. Claim denied on the usual excuse of they didn't know about it so how can they fix it, which I think is BS as there's evidence of a previous repair.

In law, ignorance is not an excuse but it seems it is for the council! 

Annoying, and I sympathise, but a couple of points here it may be worth exploring:

Previous repair - the defect has been repaired, so unless the council are aware that that it needs repairing again the fact it has been repaired in the past is not material. If the damage had been because you can prove that the repair was not carried out competently you may have a case.

Ignorance not being an excuse - a common misconception. Just because something is wrong does not make the owner automatically liable for anything that happens. To be liable you have to be negligent. Just because something is in need of repair does not automatically mean the council is negligent. All that they have to do is to prove that they have a reasonable inspection regime and that they respond to defects in a reasonable period.

• Like 1

@Colin P Thanks for that, but it's such a get out. Technically as long as they survey the road and prove it, they can then put the public at risk of property damage and even personal injury without recourse. Once I'd reported it and requested a claim form, a pit crew was out repairing it but what they failed to do was fill in the other 10 pot holes (so big people can see and avoid them) that are present on that road on the way to the one I reported. Why didn't they fill in those? Because no one has reported them...and so the cycle continues.

Most people, and I count myself in this, don't report pot holes unless they are personally affected by them. The council know this and use it as a get out of paying card.  

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM
42 minutes ago, Mysterae said:

1) Once I'd reported it and requested a claim form, a pit crew was out repairing it

2) but what they failed to do was fill in the other 10 pot holes (so big people can see and avoid them) that are present on that road on the way to the one I reported. Why didn't they fill in those? Because no one has reported them...and so the cycle continues.

1) which will form part of their defense - "we deal with all known issues quickly once identified" and they "have a reasonable protocol to survey and identify defects".

2) probably because they sub contract the work and the sub contractor only has an order for the 1 pothole. They won't report the other potholes, so the council still don't know about them.

The council cannot feasibly employ sufficient people to survey all their roads on a daily basis and to do so would be disproportionate and end up included in your council tax anyway, so the law reflects this and requires "reasonable precautions" as a defense so that an undue burden is not placed upon a landowner (council or private - it is the same for everyone). You can only sue someone if they are negligent, if you can prove that you have acted reasonably then you are not negligent. 

Anyhow, don't want you thinking I'm unsympathetic, but I do have reason to be aware of the challenges that the councils face, the claims made against them, their defenses to them and the financial consequences on the councils, so just sharing the other side of the coin.

@Colin P I understand your take completely. Hearing the excuses doesn't make me any less unhappy or sympathetic considering the overall state of the road and the default GTF stance of the council. What's even more outrageous is I tried to report a pot hole so big that Hugo Drax was prospecting it, but their online pot hole reporting system crashed at the final stage, on both attempts. Now I'm not saying ......

Signature not working...

23 hours ago, Bibs said:

Saw a few GT's when I popped to Spa last year...

20190928_132627.jpg

@PhilW, sorry to hear about your neighbours home, that's one hell of a fire. Good on your and your local community to rally around. Having recently been through a flood which involved most of the internals of the house being rebuilt, I feel a small percentage of their pain. 

Wow, stunning shot!

• Gold FFM

Ok, so this did not make me unhappy. But it did make me vomit!

nissan-gt-r50-roadster-140510_1.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I just discovered that I went to bed yesterday with a fitbit step count of 9,996 :X

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Colin P said:

I just discovered that I went to bed yesterday with a fitbit step count of 9,996 :X

You should go to the "What made me happy..." thread as I went to bed with a fit bit yesterday! There might have been too actually, but I wasn't counting...

• Haha 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

6 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

You should go to the "What made me happy..." thread as I went to bed with a fit bit yesterday! There might have been too actually, but I wasn't counting...

You can't count😄too?

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, pete said:

You can't count😄too?

I'm still struggling with the fallout. My fingers are all over the plaice

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pete said:
19 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

You can't count😄too?

Or spell.....

Vary sad, indeed.  Not only for the loss of the basketball star but also the others on the flight.

Also sad to see that Nicholas Parsons has died.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM

Christmas Eve some idiot pulled out in front of me. Minor bump, police witness so no argument about fault, but car in for new bumper and headlights so took Lotus to Birmingham today for work. Parked In a “Premier Secure” Car Park. Literally as I joined the A38M about 300 yards from the car park exit the TPMS lit up. Basically some :censored: stuck a Stanley knife blade in one of the front tyres, so as soon as I drove off it got pushed through. 

Just had to drive home at 50 mph with a tyre full of gunk and RAC puncture repairs.

The irony is that the A38M was clear, so was the M40, the M25 didn’t even have average speed cameras working and the little bit of twisty that you usually get stuck behind someone at 40 mph didn’t have a bleeding car on it. 

Now to work out the repair bill. :veryangry:

• Sad 5

• Gold FFM

Having spent on new cambelt, water pump (rebuilt), radiator etc.. on Excel, the main oil seal blew about 200 miles later. Engine out to repair. Drove circa 100 miles, temp seemed odd...…..head gasket. Wiper also packed up. Bills will total over £5K for less than 500 miles travelled. And it is advertised for sale, which was clearly a big mistake as the car takes revenge.

Still love it but time to move on. Fab car for someone with all the work done (head gasket will progress next week and hopefully that will be that).

Justin

On 24/01/2020 at 21:17, C8RKH said:

I'm still struggling with the fallout. My fingers are all over the plaice

Are you a fish fetishist? 😂

• Love 1

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, DDubya said:

Are you a fish fetishist? 😂

Haha, very good. I like your thinking!  👍

Not so much what made me unhappy 'today' but to be specific, 'yesterday'. I had a routine medical, which I was fitting in before we flew off to Argentina on Saturday evening for a 3 week holiday. All was going well until getting to the bit where the doctor took my pulse and listened to my heart and it turned out I had a resting heart rate that was jumping erratically between 120-145! Immediately sent to A & E for an ECG which confirmed my pulse rate was all over the place and a trace that, instead of an even sine wave is, again, all over the place. Then sat down with the duty doctor to discuss and I obviously tell him we are due to fly out to Argentina on Saturday, to which he replies that he very strongly advises against any long haul flight until we can get to the bottom of this issue and diagnose what is causing it, although he already had a good idea what it is. Prescribed some interim medication with immediate effect, pending an appointment with a consultant cardiologist just as soon as it can be set up. 

Strange thing is, I haven't had any symptoms that I know of and feel very well in myself.

Bugger, bollox, bugger, bollox!!!!!

1 hour ago, Kevin Wheeler said:

Sorry to hear that Brent. 

Never mind the holiday, just get your heart sorted!

Thanks Kevin. Some would say they are surprised I have one at all! 😱😁

What do they think it is, atrial fibrillation? 

Might be worth investing in an Apple Watch, they have very advanced heart rate tracking nowadays. 

https://www.wareable.com/apple/apple-watch-heart-rate-monitor-guide-340

• Thanks 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.