free hit
counters
Rear Hub Carrier - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
steamdriven

Rear Hub Carrier

Much to my alarm, I found a piece of rear hub carrier on the floor of my garage. Underside inspection revealed that the piece had apparantly fallen off the hub carrier where the stud passes through; see pic.

From the look of the broken surfaces it looks like there had been a hair-line fracture for some time and was probably held in place by corrosion. Don't know how long i have been driving around with a fractured hub carrier and i guess the hair-line fracture would have been difficult to have picked up on inspection.

Anyone else had a similar experience - and wondering whether this is driveable to the garage???

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow that's a new one to watch out for. Reckon the crack is due to the rust of the metal sleeve and pressure it exerted on the alloy. Like steel reinforced concrete at times.

I would be trailering it to the workshop.

I'm with Danny on this Ian. I'd be getting a trailer as well. If one has done it, where's the other one at. Or the other side of the same carrier, From all appearances in your pic, it's been put together fairly dry which is a no-no as far as I'm concerned with dissimilar non-inert metals.

Not to put too finner point on it the whole lot is shot, and the other side likely not far behind. From the photo the bushes are gone, the floating spacer is gone the hub is gone.

I could write chapter and verse on this, but if you are planning to do the job yourself be prepared, Jonathan Edwards wrote a good piece in LEW on this, I would add a couple of things, crack the rear axle nuts before jacking the car up and putting it on stands, you will probably need to take the whole radius arm out, so change your gearbox mounts at the same time (you'll be glad you did trust me)

And here's a couple of pics for you.

Remnants.jpg

I had to cut the pins out.

Pins.jpg

Pins.jpg

This is what nice new ones look like.

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Never seen that before, and on a car thats not articulary old as well....

Had mine in and out on my 85 Turbo and there was no evidence of fractures at all...

Think this is one for everyone to look out for!

Could be an over tightened nut split the casting,

However post#2 seems more than plausable.

It should limp to the garage - its likely to have been like that for yonks so it'll be no different now.

Just remember - copper grease is your friend :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone; I agree that both sides probably in questionable condition. Given the age of the car (and i have the full history) it looks like it was put together fairly dry in the factory. The car is still under ised car warranty from the dealer i purchased it from back in August last year, so I will probably try and get this done by them rather than myself. Think i will probably get both sides done while we are at it - anything else anyone would suggest i get sorted at the same time ?.

Thanks for your advice Roger - you have clearly had some experience at this and can tell a lot from my small pic. Can send you further pics if it would help you to advise further - grateful for any advice.

Consider Lotus poly bushes as compared to original rubber ones, but keep both sides even, and the Lotus ones are designed to give the correct ride and handling as compared to the other options out there which are designed to fit.

Them carriers cost about £350 each and garages usually break them getting the things out.

This is the article I wrote on LEW - it might be worth your time reading it to get an idea of what to expect :

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EMaintenance/HubCarriers.html

You want new everything on there ideally, stud, nuts, washers, and split spacer - dont accept less.

If they're done right (ie with lots of copper grease, then you can do the bushes at a later date - unless you can haggle the poly bushes in.

If a garage does this they'll likely try and cut out off damaging the bushes - so be armed with the knowhow..

Important question - who'd ya get the warrenty from ?

There are a few niggles with the hub carrier I wouldn't be happy handing over to jack garage inc esp if they do it under warrenty and do a half assed job becasue of it.

Great Article Jonathan - I really do fancy doing this job myself (taking time and making sure it is done right) but I might just get the Dealer to do it, given the Warranty situation.

You ask about the Warranty, and I got the car from Peter Smith at Derby; His mechanics and body shop are top notch in my experience and have been very helpful to me with advice on one or two other minor troubles that i had to sort. I would not trust the car to many others.

I have not spoken with them yet about this Hub Carrier problem because it only happenned this weekend. I'll let you know how things pan out.

Thanks everyone; I agree that both sides probably in questionable condition. Given the age of the car (and i have the full history) it looks like it was put together fairly dry in the factory. The car is still under ised car warranty from the dealer i purchased it from back in August last year, so I will probably try and get this done by them rather than myself. Think i will probably get both sides done while we are at it - anything else anyone would suggest i get sorted at the same time ?.

Thanks for your advice Roger - you have clearly had some experience at this and can tell a lot from my small pic. Can send you further pics if it would help you to advise further - grateful for any advice.

I can only emphasis do the gearbox mounts at the same time, to get the radius arm off I think you will have to detach the arm at the inner mount and pull the whole hub off, and you need the arm off to change the gearbox mount so given they are a similar vintage save some agg and do it while they're off.

Otherwise all care with castings, OK ones busted but try not bust the other one, they're expensive. (no hiti too hard with hammers)

More photos if it helps :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhimself/sets/72157619529169459/

Rog, me ol' you dont need to take the radius arm off or / to get to / the gearbox mounts you silly sausage :rolleyes:

I done the gearbox mounts by simply taking the weight of the gearbox and sliding the new ones in.

Once you get to this stage :

3998593119_513b4aaacd.jpg

It's just a case of taking the bolts off.

I think you're getting confused with the radius arm bushings and the engine mounts, I'd have them inspected but for a hub carrier change it's just as easy to jack the car up and do them from there.

Regardless on who is doing the job I'd still get under there and look yourself, a lot of garages, even reputable ones just say "yea it looked fine" and you know damn well they've not looked at it.

Best person to maintain a car to the highest degree ? You, you'll do the best job and spend the most time on 'your' car - there's always people to ask on ehre if it goes tits up.

I had a smashed hub carrier on my car last year which supposedly had been repaired ie welded all over the place. It passed the MOT but I didn't like the look of it and sure enough a hair line fracture had developed and was opening up next to the welding. I had only just purchased the car and fixed it myself with a second hand unit from Lotusbits, changed the bushes and wheel bearing with the pin etc. Seems fine since but I do check it periodically. I would do the job yourself garages get up to all sorts of bodges as they did with mine.

This thread does not do much for the reputation of the garage fraternity does it ! Sad but true. ( I once trusted an Esprit to the Lotus factory garage several years ago now, thinking that it would be the 'exemplar A1' of Lotus care.....how wrong I was, but that is another story)

Sorry to hear about the failure of your weld-repaired hub carrier Mike -could have been very nasty. I wonder whether it is advisable to 'repair' the hub carrier casting by welding ? Knowing what i know now, i think I would advise anyone to simply replace and not get fobbed off with anything less.

Depends on the quality of the welder (ie the person) imo.

It was welded before I purchased the car. Looked like a good alloy weld but obviously set up stresses elsewhere on the hub carrier. Personally I would not trust a repair given the work the hub carrier has to perform. Its very interesting but I am reading a book on the development of the Esprit and the hub carrier on the prototype models broke with regularity. It had to be redesigned a number of time before production.

I think mine was broken when some idiot garage must have whacked the bottom pin with a hammer attempting to dismantle the unit for some reason but all seems well now. I think I paid £150 for the second hand hub carrier.