free hit
counters
Updating the wheel and gearknob...... - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
codex

Updating the wheel and gearknob......

hi - I'm picking up my black&gold 83 G-turbo next week. can't wait -

BUT...I appreciate the car's classic interior however am thinking of (temporarily) trying an update to just two aspects that I suspect were slightly misjudged at the time: the wooden gear lever (tan interior with black car - a black leather one seems to suit better?) and the steering wheel (love the later 3-spoke rather than the two spoke).

first) I'm going to do some long distances soon and much prefer the exact moulded 3-spoke wheel from the slightly later steven turbos - do they even fit easily?? - Good, Bad or Ugly idea??

...and

second) have seen this gearknob on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390123265400&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1160wt_913) - Good, Bad or Ugly idea??

Anyone else tried this? I really want to keep my classic pristine/original but just want to preserve and update(non-destructively) in a way sensitive to the original design principles!

any advice?

cheers

m

Edited by codex

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Gear knob looks OK for styling, it's similar to what would have been around at the time.

There's the story of when Nick was working on one of the design cars and it was getting gear knob vibration, in the and they turned down a bit of steel and covered it in leather to alter the resonant frequency and the issue went away, I'd say that one on eBay wouldn't be out of keeping with what they'd have gone for on that car.

My S2 didn't have an origianal wheel or gear knob when I got it. I was going to do the opposite of you and replace them with the origianls, in the end I have just done the gear knob, for the reasons you mention (classic & original). My wheel is an S3 wheel.

thanks

what's the s3 wheel like to many miles on? do you like it? mines the same.