free hit
counters
Easy way to remove the turbo? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bibs

Easy way to remove the turbo?

A while back I had a new turbo fitted and the dozy git who fitted it neglected the locking tabs so it keeps getting lose and bleeding out my precious boost. Is there an easy way to remove it so I can fit the locking tabs or is it boot floor/air pipes/exhaust/heat shields etc? Looks like 4/5 hours work to get it off :rolleyes:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The easiest way is to get someone else to do it but unfortunately, as you found out, it doesn't always produce the right results. I'm fear that it's a blood, sweat and tears job, mate... good luck, and don't forget to post some pics of the job in progress.

Why not fit locking nuts as fitted to the later cars??

Well you def need the floor off - or at least tilted back - might be worth re-doing the relays as per the GT2 as well whilst you're at it.

I know the tabs are std equipment but to save taking the whole thing off I would look at using one of the following

Shake proof washers

Aerotight nut

Serated flange nut - these are on the GT2 and they're fine (if almost corroded away)

The nuts at the back are going to be a HUGE pain but there should be no need to take the exhaust off etc.

Edited by Jonathan

Bibbo, me owd mucka, you know the answer...

easiest way to remove the turbo is big hammer, but as you probably don't want the expense associated with that, you'll need to use some fine spanners (thinner the better).

Boot floor is not hard to remove.

I did it last night (see thread in 'misc' section). It took only half an hour to remove it all and that was with badly rusted fittings.

From that point, as you could see from the photo's I took getting access to everything is an absolute doddle.

Bibs's boot floor is just a tad easier than that. :)

If its any consolation, as you know my engine is out and bending up the locking tabs is not that easy. The ones at the front are ok but trying to get to the other ones is a right pain. I found the exhaust manifold ones tricky too.

Bibs is it possible to get another nut on the other side to lock it off? Just a thought and you might not be able to get in.

Buddsy :)

Sparky, that's all been repaired.

My boot floor has had it's fair share of removals but it is hard work and does take an age by yourself. It's only been back in there a couple of months and I wanted to know if there was an easier way that full dismantle.

Buddsy, there's not enough room between the turbo and stud to get a nut in there, you have to position the turbo pretty high to get the nuts on in the first place then screw it down,. It's very tight.

Bibs,

Please take your car to Sparky as I am fed up driving past his house and seeing no work going on. Poor form for the London area and all that.

Trevor.

It's very tight.

Yes I thought that was the case, Im finding space tight and my engine is out!! You may have to bite the bullit! I think if you do remove the turbo I would say pay the £16.00 or what ever it cost and buy a new metal gasket. I know they are pricey but I think they are only meant to be used once. Help to keep all that turbo boost in!

Buddsy

I've never done this so could be rubbish but, if it's been running loose and there is a gasket in there (don't know but probabaly is) I'd want to be inspecting or probably replacing it, so just fitting locking nuts, washers, locktight, OK, but you maybe re-visiting it.

Pull it all out, do it properly, if it's that tough to get to you don't need to be doing it twice.

I hear what you say about the boot floor, I did a nice little mod to mine, cut it in half, width ways so the floor is separate to the back panel. I can still get in and stand in it. You would still need to take both bits oput for this job but it does make life much easier.