free hit
counters
Anybody remember plastic car seats? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mayevora

Anybody remember plastic car seats?

I have just been given a not so good reminder of a childhood memory long since forgotten. Been out for a quick drive in a friends newly aquired Mk. 3 Ford Cortina.

Whilst the car is OK (in the loosest possible terms) It had the same aweful standard black plastic seats that were sooo common on some of my Fathers cars back in the 70's, (before the affordability of cloth seats) It's not the seats themselves, but the temperature the seats aquire after sitting in the sun, windows up, in a closed car.

Clothing needed to be made out of Teflon to withstand the initial burn whilst positioning yourself comfortably (that's a laugh) upon these so call seats that have warmed up to the temperature of the Suns core. I remember as a kid, getting in cars with shorts and T-shirt and screaming in pain whilst your back and your arse become one with the seat after being welded together and then having to endure near 1st degree burns.

Mk.3 Cortina with plastic seats in this weather - No Thankyou!

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My pa had a few cortina's and I remember the burn of those seats well and trying to levitate above them to avoid 3rd degree injuries!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

My first car was a Mk3 Cortina. It was a late one, a 1.6L Pinto, pale blue over rust, square headlights and Mk4 dash. NJD 443P. Had it for nearly two years - crashed into anything and everything (including playing bumper cars with my mate in his Herald) welded the floor a number of times, replaced the camshaft twice, fitted 3 clutches and one gearbox, installed a CB and a bangin' sound system.

What a POS!:thumbsup:

Yep - I remember having to sit on these with sunburnt legs - back of the knees were the worst. Almost like the skin was left behind when you got out.

My folks had to put sheets/blankets on the seats in hot weather.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

This has really brought back some awful memories!

As a child (and still even today) I suffered very badly with travel sickness. If I knew I was going on a car journey, I would rush out to the car and open all the windows wide to let the smell of the plastic seats escape. As other have said, in the hot weather it was almost unbearable to sit in the car.

Actually, I feel a little sick just thinking about it :thumbsup:

It's getting there......

Cover seat in damp beach towel. Problem solved!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

What I remember were those clear plastic seat covers with the bumps all over them. Uncomfortable, hot, sticky, and when a little boy fell asleep on the back seat during a long drive, his face looked like it had been worked over with a waffle iron.

My Mum had a Mk 2 Cortina 1300GT with black vinyl seats, boy did they get hot!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I remember them well. My Dad had a Mk3 Cortina Estate. I remember sitting on the vinyl seats on a hot day and having to wair school shorts and then getting out of the car. Sweaty and horrible.

p&jcortina4.jpg

Ian, I know you really like to wear shorts ..but that's maybe the problem :thumbsup:

wrong sort of clothes :)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I remember them well.

Mark. That second pic is identicle to the car I was in today but black interior.

Ian, I know you really like to wear shorts ..but that's maybe the problem :thumbsup:

Thank goodness the Mankini was 30 years after vinal seats. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I give you the early Elans and an Australian summer censored.gif

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

My first Mini a 1969 1000 super deluxe no less had black vinyl seats and they were very painful in the summer months. Luckily the car was white (snow berry) so it did at least reflect a lot of the heat away from the car. I seem to remember steering wheels also getting quite hot as well before they were covered in leather etc...

On a more up to date agony however you should try the bare aluminium gear lever knob in an Elise when it's minus something outside in the winter and you've got no gloves on very painful.......

Martyn :D

I grew up in Scotland. Don't remember too many hot days, but on the odd occasion I recall my skin almost welding to vinyl car seats.

I always thought it funny when someone got out of a car in those days and left a bum imprint behind them.

Alan