free hit
counters
borg warner automatic gearbox - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nanardos

borg warner automatic gearbox

Hi,

I am being offered a Type 75 Elite fitted with a Borg Warner automatic gearbox.

What do you think of this gearbox, is it reliable and easy to maintain / repair ?

BL

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My elite is fitted with one and, to be fair, it is probably the only piece of the engine that I have not had to spent money on !! In the late 70's and early 80's I had other cars with the BW 3 speed box and, again , it was the one thing that I never had to spend money on. May be I have been luck but I have always found it a good piece of kit.

BW type 65.

tough as old boots and very very common.

I had one in my dolomite sprint when I was 19. I drove it like I'd stolen it and it took some real punishment without any sign of complaint.

By modern standards, they could do with at least one more cog, but for strength and reliability they are first rate.

D

Sounds like something from a Bond movie!

yes, cog as in gear cog, meaning another gear or speed.

As far as ease of repair goes, if you did manage to kill one, it would almost always be cheaper buying a replacement given their popularity. They are common to 76 onwards Stags, 2000, 2500's, XJ6's, Rover SD1's, TR7's etc and probably numerous other cars I am unaware of.

The previous owner of my dolomite sprint did manage to kill a torque convertor, as it had been reconditioned before I bought it, but I never heard of anyone having real issues with these boxes. If they can stand the torque of V8's and long stroke jags, then it gives you an idea of their strength.

Edited by Dunc