free hit
counters
To Esprit or not... - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

To Esprit or not...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I appreciate the advice, but I'm going to try this for now.

I am trying to avoid big thick steel as I believe that this will inevitably move the problem, My hope is thinner plate will spread the load while remaining flexible enough not to crack out of the fibreglass. Basically we have the age old problem here of flexible structure meeting inflexible structure. I want to try and make the flexible slightly less so but not just move the interface somewhere else.

Worst comes to the worst I cut it out and start again. :construction:

Hopefully get this repair done today but only time will tell how successful it has been.

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

OK then belts are on, coolant is full and it's back on its wheels!

Rearr mounts need more work but should be good for a first start attempt tomorrow...!:scared:

IT LIVES!

Bit of an occasional miss initially but once it had cleared it's throat it ran fine.

Oil P came up quickly to just over half the gauge and then slowly dropped back and stabilized to 1.5-2 tick marks.

Heater is stone cold and water temp gauge stopped at 60* or there abouts - I'll post a specific question I think I might have an airlock.

Expansion tank was pishing across the engine bay - fibreglassed back together as it's cracked around the tank cap boss.

Looks like the level sensor is knacked - it's just spinning around like it's not attached to anything.

One small water leak form the large waterpump hose - tweaked the jubilee clip.

Initially it idled at 2000 but dropped to 1500 then eventually down to 900-950 odd - assume that is the ECU re-learning the idle? It kept lowering the idle a bit, it's stumble a little then the idle would pick back up again, eventually settled down though. Suspect I need the IACV resetting, I'd also like to read the ECU codes.

Headlamp wiring transposed and both lights come up and come on together!

Even the electric mirrors now work!

Going to book then MOT for Tuesday... hope.gif

Hi Rich,

'been following up this interesting post for a while. My limited knowledge can confirm that an initial idle at 2000 rpm, engine cold, which goes down after a a few minutes to stabalise around 900-950 is Ok. At cold start, mine idles at 2000rpm for a 3 or 4 minutes then drops to about 1200rpm and gradually idles down to settle at about 980 once warmed. I think the expected norm is 950 +/- 50rpm. If the A/C is on, you may experience a bit of stumble, but the engine should not stall.

Download Freescan and EspritMon tools and get an ALDL cable, you'll then be able to reset parameters of the ECU (such as idle speed, IAC or BLM) as well as read ECU codes.

Good luck with the rest and the MOT.

Hervé

Edited by RV_ABZ

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

Cheers! I need to find a SPDT relay so I can get away with single lamps in each pod.

Still need to aim the headlamps.

I've been looking at the freescan cables, but the shop has none in stock!

I've asked if Carl will lend me his :thumbup:

I ripped out the EBPV stuff, the valve is wired open and I've removed the throttle jack and mech.

I seem to have a problem with the coolant though, probably an airlock also the heater is stone cold.

I'm hoping a bit of a drive will help clear it a bit.

Good news is the air con still works!

Edited by Rich H

We've got some more cable on the way, shouldn't be long :)

Well done on getting it started, nice work in a short space of time :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I jacked up the back end and ran it agian I now have a sporadic missfire :thumbdown:

Going to try again later see if it clears. I'll tape a electric thermometer to the T-stat housing to get the true temp.

Sporadic miss is...more sporadic now... seems better though.

I cleaned the plugs, nothing much as they are brand new! but also cleaned both needs of the leads which seems to have helped a bit.

Head gasket paranoia is set to 11 though - but I think its a combination of several things, condensation in the fuel, cat and damp silencer giving damp exhaust initally.

It revs very smoothly but something is making a rattling noise, hopefully superdave will pay me a visit and lend his ear!

Temp gauge sender is probably dead, will test it with a variable resistor tomorrow and order a new sender if required... £25 though! :thumbdown:

It's reading around 500ohms when cold - anyone know if this is right?

Wired in another relay to operate the mains on the outers. I have ordered the proper Lucas one and my new wiring is totally reversible.

I just hope it's enough to get it through an MOT on Wed and the tester doesn't throw a wobbly at the empty lamp holes! Shouldn't do but you never know...

I have inner lamps on order but no idea when they will turn up.

Hopefully he'll sit in the car, turn them on and they will work, then flash the mains and they will work then turn it all off without seeing the lamp pods form the front! :lol:

Expansion tank is still leaking though, more fibreglass applied but it won't stick that well... £100 for a new one... it must be off something GM...? Anyone?

Got distracted selling bits of old Porsche so didn't get a proper look at the heater bits.

Nearly there.... V5 turned up too! Fingers crossed for an MOT and Tatton Park!

Not got one yet, I plan on calling Peugeot today see if I can get a new one at short notice but if you know of an alternate please let me know!

Cheers

Rich

After a suggestion on another thread I have found a pattern temp sender locally and the pug tank is £31.24 + VAT but I need a level sender so splashed out on a second hand tank and sender for £8!

If the tank isn't up to scratch I'll get a new pug tank and keep the sender (Assuming it works!)

:scared: MOT booked for tomorrow...

Edited by Rich H

Changed the temp sender - no change, it still gets up to 60 degrees and stops.

£10 from a local factor as suggested!

I'm wondering if I have an earth problem with the gauge.

Oil temp gauge seems to work and the rad gets hot as expected.

Water outlet of the thermostat housing gets to around 80 degrees.

I've decided that the miss is not a miss it's just unsteady idle making it hunt a bit.

In the mean time I've ripped out the old hands free kit (for an ancient nokia) fixed the squirters (both blocked, drivers side was loose and pipe had come off)

Also fitted the inner lamps which turned up today.

MOT tomorrow... and get to drive it on the road legally too! Even if it's only to and from the MOT station!:horse:

Edited by Rich H

FAILED.

But only the OSF brake pipe excessively corroded - I think it was the hose to caliper short pipe.

Also advisories on the rear brake pipes.

I have a flare kit adn pipe at home so hopefulyl shouldn't be too hard to fix... He says!

Edited by Rich H

Front rad supports look manky and the chargecooler pipes are rotten. ARB is rusty and the ARB end bushes need replacing. Otherwise it all looks good!

It wasn't the easy pipe it was the longer inboard one... I rerouted it a bit to make it easier there was no way I could replace it like for like with the rack in situ! all came undone though.

I bled the brakes and they seem OK. Clutch fluid needs changing and the rest of the brake fluid needs flushing. I'll order some more as I've run out for now.

Retest is tomorrow!

Things that need doing still in no particular order:

Read FREESCAN!!

Replace rear brake lines

Replace clutch fluid and adjust clutch - possibly rebuild master and slave

Flush all brake fluid

Replaced chargecooler hard lines (Stainless straights and rubber hose)

Backflush heater matrix and fix

Fix dash temp gauge (Binnacle off)

Replace cracked expansion tank (Ordered)

Repair seat

Deep clean interior

Clean and polish

Driveshaft seals

Replace aerial

Refurb wheels

Fix paint defects

And more probably - I wouldn't want to get bored...

Two updates... One breakdown and one idiot...

Broke down due to a lack of electricity, my nasty old battery gave up the ghost, I got the clutch a bit wrong in traffic and revs dropped a bit, it stalled, no restart.... Stupid thing was I was on my way to halfrauds to buy a new battery!!! :wallbash: (Trade card makes they very cheap!)

The idiot is me... the water temp is perfect and has been since I got it. Water temp is bottom right... oil temp is top left :comp: what an idiot... ah well one last thing to worry about...

You did the right thing with the battery as when they let you down once, they will eventually let you down again - if in doubt get a new one. As for the temperature gauges - silly sod !

It's good to see you are enjoying the challenge, in my first 12 months of ownership I've not stopped tinkering and fettling - there's always something to do if you look hard enough. Still, if every hour you put in gets you 10 hours in the drivers seat it's well worth it. Good luck with your re-test.

Too many Toys are never enough !

My day out at Tatton Park, an hour from home!!

The Esprit was given pride of place by the guys too! :sorcerer:

DSC01968resized.jpg

DSC01967resized.jpg

DSC01964resized.jpg

DSC01970resized.jpg

DSC01985resized.jpg

DSC01971resized.jpg

DSC01972resized.jpg

Edited by Rich H

Got hot air now - the push pull cable had come adrift from the control - sorted now!

Cleaned and polished too!

Got a lucas relay coming to do the high beam mod properly, also got a non-cracked expansion tank and miles of ali pipe to replace the chargecooler pipes with

Should keep me busy!

Coolant bottle changed for an £8 Pug 205 effort, cleaned out the level sender too, but it doesn't work anyway.... light doesn't come on so no great loss I'll just check the level manually.

Now in order of priority:

Read FREESCAN!! - Superdave dropping off USB cable tonight hopefully :thumbsup:

Replace driveshaft seals and O-rings

Rebuild master and slave, fit braided hose and adjust clutch

Replace rear brake lines - MOT advisory

Flush and bleed brakes

Replaced chargecooler hard lines - Ali pipe on order

Trivia:

Fit proper lucas relay to headlamps

Replace aerial

Refurb wheels

Fix paint defects