free hit
counters
Info Required on S4s Brake pedal feel? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
G_Reaper

Info Required on S4s Brake pedal feel?

Hi

I would like to talk to any S4s owner with fully functioning brakes about the brake pedal feel. As you are probably aware I was having problems with my ABS which mysteriously seems to have cured itself. However I am not sure what the brake pedal should feel like. The car seems to brake quite well however the brake pedal feel quite unassisted i.e. it takes a fair amount of pressure to stop the car quickly but it does stop well.

My contact number is 07802451116 or text me your number with the message Esprit Brakes and I will call you back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I can't help you directly, I don't have ABS, but just reading your post prompts me suggest identification of the pad material you are using. As excessively hard pads will require a lot more effort from your foot as you describe. Just a thought.

I used to own a '95 S4s and the pedal did have to be pressed quite hard to have any effect., although as you say the brakes were good.

I changed the front pads for "Greenstuff" and they gripped much better than the original Lotus pads so reducing the amount of pedal pressure required.

One way of checking the ABS is working is next time you're out in the wet find an empty stretch of road with a manhole cover on it and brake while steering over it. You should feel the brake pedal drop a significant amount, not enough to soil your underwear but enough to make you think "what the f***k" :D

Great firm feel and very reassuring in the dry. You can feel the Servo assist thru the brake pedal when only using slightly.

In the wet or when running over manhole covers in the dry - not very good. ABS is very slow to react, when compared to modern cars.

This is on my S4 with Brembos - same as S4s.

My brakes on the S4s are pretty firm to press but you do get a good feel to them, i use Green Stuff pads and Pilot tyyres.all standard set up.

Nick S4s

Just as an aside, green stuff pads aren't really suitable for an Esprit unless you're driving miss daisy. You need reds/yellows really or you'll boil the brake fluid with some enthusiastic driving.

Never boiled the brake fluid even after enthusiastic spurts............ but my enthusiastic may be different to yours. Btw how did you know my daughters called Daisy who i drive very regularly ?

Nick S4s

Brakes only get hot when you use them. Using the brakes slows you down.

Don't use the brakes, go faster, problem gone ! yes.gif