free hit
counters
Elite - Broken Boot Release Cable - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
peteyg

Elite - Broken Boot Release Cable

Hi Guys,

I know of an Elite 503 2.2 that's languishing and unloved at the moment because the current guardian can't get into the boot and at the battery (which I assume is in there)because the cable's bust.

Is there a secret way of opening the boot without having to damage anything?

Said I'd ask on here in case anyone knew. If I had the money and space, I'd take if off him and bring her back to life!

Cheers,

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete

Firstly, does the pull chord come off in your hand? If not, have you tried someone pushing the lid down while you pull the chord? I find it can help when it is just stiff.

I've had a look at the cable release on my 502, and I can't see a simple way without causing any damaging, given you don't know which of the cables has failed. It seems surprising robust by Lotus standards.

I reckon the simplest route 'break-in' route is to drill out the two alloy 'nuts' at the centre bottom of the window glass - the bolts that hold on the catch plate screw into these. The window should then pop-up. All you need then is some replacement nuts, which can't be too hard.

Herc

Ahh Good one Mark, I had been looking at mine this evening as well in case could see some way in, but does not seem possible, so think your idea is the best and cheapest method providing you are not too heavy handed with drill, otherwise could be fresh rear window, but even that is not mega bucks in the grand scheme of things.

Good solution

Regards

Mike

Thanks a lot guys. I'll pass the info on!

Pete

SJ's quote £4.09 each for the nuts. Silly money, really, but it means you could break in for a tenner.

Herc