free hit
counters
S1 gearbox and chassis worries with V8 power! - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
V8-ESPRITS3

S1 gearbox and chassis worries with V8 power!

Hi Guys,

go easy on me I am new to the forum and have a modified S1 Esprit, I brought it just over a year ago which was fitted with a stock Rover V8(P6)engine, this was a non-runner project which I fixed up and got on the road. The conversion was a professional installation kit to fit it into the esprit, it was a disappointment to drive after wanting one for so long! any way back to the point in hand I have removed the engine and plans are to fit a much more powerful unit, but I have worries with the gearbox and what torque/bhp it can handle along with the drive shafts? I was planning on upgrading the rear suspension by fitting some kind of top links as fitted to the S3 esprits, but with the concerns with the strength of the gearbox and rear setup I am now considering fitting a S3 chassis? would this be an easy conversion? has the S3 chassis S1 body been done before?

Many Thanks

Rob

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum, The chassis of the s1 is not the ideal base for a v8, as you have said the fact it has no top links is not a good idea, As chapman used the driveshafts to take the strain! hence saving weight, Its very hard what to advise you on, the s3 chassis has been stuck on an s2 body, think its still been restored. So yes it can be done.

Adding top links links to your chassis, well personally i would just opt to buy an s3 chassis i.e rolling chassis and save yourself the hassle of the fabrication, welding, plus with no jig you could end up with a shite handleing car after lots of effort. I personally would sell the S1 as is and buy an s3 restoration project/ rolling shell etc and save yourself the hassle, plus the s1 are fairly rare and still fetch good money as people are willing to restore them to standard spec rather than the later s3 etc.

But thats just my 2 pence but later chassis is defo a good option and yes you can put your s1 shell on it :sorcerer: As for power plants etc loads of options on here Audi v8s with 6 speed boxes, jaguar/ford v6 with renault boxes, the americans are usings the big v8s etc, just have a look through the restoration section at projects to get an idea and as always this forum is very friendly and everyone is always willing to offer advise, help etc

Good look with the project regards danny

Hi Dan,

the problem is I really like the S1, and in its currant condition with no engine fitted and already modified what is it worth? it must stand me in over £4500, if I can sell my chassis and parts I no longer need that can go a long way to funding buying the S3 chassis and parts, what is a S1 chassis worth? Many ThanksRob

Hi Rob,

Yes mate know what you mean about the clean lines of the S1 mate, As for the chassis not sure on the price if its in good nick give www.lotusbits.com a telephone call, numbers on the website, phone dont email as they are not the best at replying to emails! Explain your situation and see

What they say. A used decent S3 chassis goes for about £500 if in good order and cheaper if bought privaetly, Just tell him your after a rolling chassis minus the engine and see wghat figures he comes up with. They dont always have stuff in stock but things turn up from time to time.

Regards danny

Edited by silverfrost

I'm with Silverfrost, replace chassis. if you're going to alter the original then it will,have no value as an S1 chassis so you might as well sell it as is and buy a later one. There might be the issue of access to get the engine in / out because the earlier cars went out the bottom (from what I recall), later out the top. Ideally get a post 85 Model year chassis (ball joints with two point mounting to chassis for each front wishbone instead of trunnions with one rigid mount and the alignment maintained by the ARB.

Again, where to get one, Lotusbits. Ask Mike about how much if you part exchange your S1 chassis in. That solves the issue of outlay as well.