free hit
counters
88 Commemorative Edition? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

88 Commemorative Edition?

It seems Lotus has more 'special editions' than it has regular Esprits! But i've found an '88 'commemorative edition' that looks somewhat decent.

I understand there's nothing more expensive than an inexpensive Esprit - as an RX-7 owner, I can wholeheartedly relate! But I'm looking to aquire an early S-car as a project I can slowly build up.

The interior has some rips and tears, but I'm not wild about the light blue/dark grey two-tone the commemorative edition came with anyhow, and doubt that the 'limited' production of said edition means preserving the colour scheme will enhance its value, since a low production car like an Esprit is by definition limited production irrespective of model.

Are parts from year to year interchangeable? The 88 commemorative, though a turbo, for some reason comes with a non-glazed rear hatch whereas the glazed is my preference, so that's one of the first things I'd look at swapping.

Can new interior leather be had, or do I need to custom fab upholstery to repair the rips and tears (and change the interior colour)?

Are the front air dams a separate piece? the one-hole airdam looks a bit rough and I like the 5 hole one better, but I'm not keen on shipping a whole bumper, since it'll cube higher than just a dam and increase the potential for shipping damage (not to mention cost - money better spent on repairs and maintainance!)

Li'l help?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not the forums resident expert on the Stevens cars, but I do know a bit about the 40th Anniversary car. The rear hatch did originally come with glass.(must have been swapped) and a Fiero G

Be careful .... the next bills on its way. hope you can use a spanner chap

I am not the forums resident expert on the Stevens cars, but I do know a bit about the 40th Anniversary car. :lol:

The rear hatch did originally come with glass.(must have been swapped) and a Fiero GT style wing.

They were all pearl White/ with blue /grey trim (88 for USA) in 1988

Also it has the Citroen tranmission/ inboard disc brakes (like the Giugiaro cars)

And Bosch Fuel injection.

The rear wheels are of a special offset because of this.

I considered buying one once, but the interior was in ruins, and I prefer the giugiaro styling of the early cars)

I would keep it stock, as they are only 40 of them made and they are the best looking of the Stevens cars IMO :)

88_lotus_450.jpg

88_lotus_detail3_450.jpg

88_lotus_detail1_450.jpg

88_lotus_detail2_450.jpg

88_lotus_detail6_450.jpg

Edited by WayneB
  • Like 1
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Does anyone like the '88 edition colour clash ?

Lotus made a few special edition Esprit that really weren't that special, all they had were paint jobs and plaques saying "it's special".

Personally I'd never pay a higher premium for one of these cars, you simply wont see the return when you come to sell it - the wise money would take the extra cash and go and buy a better Esprit because in reality with most of them you're just buying the plaque.

With the 88 you get the pearly white paintjob which looks great but as with most fancy paints they can be a royal pain in the backside to re-paint if damaged/scratched....sometimes the whole car needs doing to match it correctly.

Interchangeable ? Depends, but pretty much yes - the Stevens shape main body is almost identical, the bumpers and skirts etc are what mainly changes - many people have done their cars up to look like other models (chap on here with a nice blue S300 esque car which i believe is an N/A). You might need to do small modifications to get parts to match.

However changing things like the hatch + spraying it will cost you big time if you get a new one. Same with the airdam (front lower bumper is seperate to the upper bumper) I see what you mean - you prefer the later SE type - should be chop and change but at cost !

Be almost as easy to find a nice SE and re-spray it, fit new interior etc.

Remember by altering a commemorative edition you could / probably affect it's value detrimentally.

facebook = [email protected]

I could be wrong about this, but seeing them list for circa $15,000 I'd say their value has already gone down considerably.

I'm under no illusions that I'm buying it as an investment - real estate fares far better than cars in that aspect :lol: 15 year old Esprits, BMW 850is, etc. have all plunged as much as 80% below MSRP even without factoring in inflation or 'dealer adjustments' - but I've always admired these cars for both their uniqueness and styling - may as well get the exact interior and exterior blend I want, hrmm?

The points about respray costs are well taken. It's my understanding that the Commemorative Edition (only 88 made, and allegedly <10 sold in the US) had the turbo wing but nonglazed hatch. I may just buy an SE and save myself the interior colour change, hatch swap, and respray... we'll see

What U.S. state was your car originally suppled to? :lol:

The interior looks great IMO and is better than gloomy old black :)

They are depreciating a bit still, but they arent old enough to be a classic (yet)

I think these cars (in good condition) will be worth preserving as most of the Stevens cars have been modified to suit there owners particular taste. :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg
What U.S. state was your car originally suppled to? :lol:

The interior looks great IMO and is better than gloomy old black :)

They are depreciating a bit still, but they arent old enough to be a classic (yet)

I think these cars (in good condition) will be worth preserving as most of the Stevens cars have been modified to suit there owners particular taste. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one i'm looking at is in Virginia. Since I'm in Saskatchewan and there's no emissions regulation here, I'll be removing the cats.

I prefer white over grey, with black over tan or grey as a close second. White over light blue, while unique to the Commemorative Editions, isn't exactly my taste. That said there's only a nick in the driver's seat and a worn elbow-hole on the console leather...

Yes it is. The one I was looking at (supplied new in Ontario Canada) had the usual glazed hatch (like the european cars)

I know some U.S. states have some peculiar regs concerning rear window glazing and louvres.

SUNP0003-1.jpg
Yes it is. The one I was looking at (supplied new in Ontario Canada) had the usual glazed hatch (like the european cars)

I know some U.S. states have some peculiar regs concerning rear window glazing and louvres.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't happen to know of others for sale in Canada, do you? That'd save a few sheckles on shipping and speedo conversion

There was a pearl white SE for sale in Niagra falls late last year, but I dont know if it sold or not. The ones in this province and Quebec(where I got my car) are mega expensive (sold through Lotus dealers) The pearl white 88 I looked at was at Bieri on the Elesmere Rd. In Toronto (independant operator) He had a Red 88 in there , and a contact ,Nelson Lau(salesman for Lotus) at (416) 291-4561

Website is at www.bieriauto.com :lol:

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

thats a cool esprit model i didnt know much about. it would be neat to get that little piece of history...

i suggest just finding a regular ole SE... may be more towards your liking...

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

I could be wrong about this, but seeing them list for circa $15,000 I'd say their value has already gone down considerably.

I'm under no illusions that I'm buying it as an investment - but I've always admired these cars for both their uniqueness and styling - may as well get the exact interior and exterior blend I want, hrmm?

The points about respray costs are well taken. It's my understanding that the Commemorative Edition had the turbo wing but nonglazed hatch. I may just buy an SE and save myself the interior colour change, hatch swap, and respray... we'll see

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah they don't fetch much over the normal price here either, I was looking at one once but just can't stand the mint flavoured interior.

The SE is probably the better choice imo - you then get chargecooler and more performance and the correct looks you're after. By altering a true special edition (this is one of the more memorable ones) you could be de-valuing it but that only matters if you wish to insure you get a good re-sale on the car....if that's not the case do it but as I say you could be better off holding back for a car that's probably going to be better suited for you as it comes.

Oh the pains of getting the 'right' Esprit.

The majority of people tailor their car to suit them becuase they're so rare, the opportunity to buy comes along so infrequently. Tweeking the car for your specific demands ensures you get the most out of this wonderful car, and ultimatly thats what it's all about. Anyone who says otherwise probably never took their toys out of the box when they were kids either and their car's more suited to a museum than being enjoyed on the roads which is what it was made for !! (reminds me of the 300 mile SE on eBay in the US).

Becuase the work you want to do is simply chop and change you can always retain the old parts in storage - that way the car can easily and quickly be returned back to original if needed.

Here's one I nearly bought :

esp.jpg

It was a 1988 Esprit turbo (non chargecooler) - the owner added a rear spoiler and the S4 front end and kept the original sides - finished off with the S4 wheels.

Not an original by any means but an example of what can be done (personally I like it which is why I looked at buying it). Another chap I know has put the late V8 rear lights on his early Stevens car. Fact is very few Esprits are completely ballsed up so at the end of the day it's your money - your car.

• 11 years later...

I just bought an 89 one of the "Limited Edition" Pearl White Esprits. Sure if i hang on to it long enough it'll go up in value....hopefully! They have actually started to up. The one i got is number 25 of 40, had 3 previous owners and covered 46,700mls.  Always loved the Esprit, from the S1-S4. Stunning looking cars!

Lol. Had an 1985 Esprit Turbo about 15 years ago, drove it back from Watford after buying it and the next day it started smoking, piston had blown and the engine had to come out and it sat it my garage for about 3 months while it got sorted...then sold it shortly after....not a great start to Esprit ownership!.....this one's lasted a bit longer...i'll give it a week lol