free hit
counters
Not warming up! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
karluk29

Not warming up!

Hi guys

any ideas on my problem. (the cars problem that is lol)

it's been going on for about a year now but as it's only been going to work and back and its not really bothered me. But now its having a make over this month and it's needs sorting.

It's gets to around 70 degrees and no more so I have had a new thermostat fitted on Friday but the temp gauge seems to read 70-73 then drops sharply (I mean in under a second then back up. Could this be the sensor? And also is there a sensor to the dash and a seperate sensor to the ecu?

I run chip 10 but I haven't had over 0.7bar now for ages. I assume it's the temp problem and sensors. My battery has also given up the ghost. To start the car I have to charge the battery each time. Would this effect the ecu/chip? Reason for no new battery yet is I need to rewire the elec window switches as for some reason they stay illuminated and I think it's killing the battery as I don't use the car often any more.

Any help appreciated. Thanx in advance

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Karl,

Not sure about the esprit, but on my jag the dash guage was similar not showing any temp, then going up then shooting down. even though the thermostat was fine, it was a temp sensor, only a couple of quid to replace. but it did mean the car over fueled as the ecu thought it was cold, and it screwed up the cats, (not a couple of quid to replace!) Yours sounds similar.

Chris

Had the same problem on my carb turbo but a new thermostat fixed the problem although at first I couldn't get any temerature reading because I had dislodged the connector on the thermostat housing. Have you tried dropping the old themostat into boiling water to see whether it operated correctly. Mine was stuck partially open. If this fails it must be a sensor.

If the car is really running cold then the turbo will not operate correctly and you will notice hardly any boost. The new thermostat fixed this as well but as I say my car is the carb turbo

The temp sensor for the gauge is a common part to fail. The temp sensor for the ECM is a different part and not related so if the gauge sensor is bad it will not cause engine management problems.

You need to run Freescan to see what the ECM temp sensor is doing.

Also the fact that your battery is dead everytime you drive it is essentially the same as resetting your ECM each time and your boost will be limited until it learns the parameters again each time which usually requires driving 25-50 miles.

Check the coolant temp with Freescan and get the battery issue resolved in order to see if you have another problem or not.

Run Freescan, that way you'll see the temp the ECU is seeing, the dash gauge as you said is fed independently. If the ECU doesn't see over 72 it will limit you to 0.65 bar.

Thanx guys. I did wonder if the battery issue was confusing the ecu aswell. Think a battery and sensor change is in order then and maybe a solar battery charger they use on the exiges. Is the ecu sensor next to the sensor for the dash

Solar chargers are pretty rubbish, you need a trickle charger.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/shop/84-ctek-battery-conditioners

Dead battery everytime would also mean restricted boost until it's resettled with the environment it's working in. It's not good for the car, you'll rarely be running it on optimum settings so it's probably running rich most of the time. Are you getting poor mpg?

Hi bibs

weird as I mentioned that to justine about the mpg and I thought it was shite. Mmmm I will look at that link and get a battery asap I think. This is all pointing to battery and sensor issue more and more. Is it a normal vauxhall sensor does anyone know or is it lotus

A910E6928F temp sensor for ecu - around £12

A082N4040F temp sensor for dash gauge - around £25

Gkp

think I love you lol. Prices aswell. Are they lotus parts or random do you know. Just I will give them my mate if non lotus and it's trade time lol. Looks like I better make a shopping list of electrical bits and get it sorted then off to the next step in the make over lol. I feel like gok

hopefully all the advice works. It usually does. Thanx alot ppl

Very useful post, I think I now know why my water T° gauge is always low, whereas the T° check with Freescan was Ok. I need to order one of those T° sensor for the dash gauge. Thanks GKP.

What temperature does the coolant normally run on these cars?

I just bought a 1994 S4 and it settled out at about an indicated 70C down the highway.

Is that too low? (Though as you say, indicated may not be actual.....)

Temp senders jsut seem to read low. Mine reads abotu taht you need to get freescan running see what the ECU thinks the temp is.

On mine:

Dash gauge 75*C

ECU temp 88*C (freescan)

If battery is going dead that often, you need to look for a drain.

Then have the battery tested.

Then have the alternator rebuilt/replaced.

Mine kept killing batteries, so I finally had my alt rebuilt.

Karl,

Is the issue sorted now? If so what was it. I have a similar problem, but the gauge reads high when in traffic then drops way low when running, also I have just replaced the battery and even after 900 miles last weekend to Paris and back boost still seems lacking.

I think Freescan needs running this weekend.

Ade