free hit
counters
Raising headlamps manually? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rich H

Raising headlamps manually?

The S4 I'm going to look at needs an MOT but one lamp motor is apparently goosed.

Is there any way of rearranging the motor/linkage/etc to permanently raise them both so it'll pass an MOT?

I'll replace/rework the motor if the deal works out OK but I'm not going to consider it without MOT!

I assume simply raising the working one then unplugging the loom to the motor or pulling a fuse will do for that side but can the other be raised?

Thanks

Rich

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dont know if its the same on the S4, but on the TE (S3) theres a slightly conical shaped ribbed knob behind each pod that you turn (many times!) to raise the individual pods - it slides slightly to engage with the splines then twist. I'd recommend that you disconnect the motors with them both lowered then raise them both manually because otherwise you might get them out of synch when you reconnect everything (looks like its winking with one going up when the other goes down).

Mike's right Rich. Disconnect 'em then wind the little knob on the back of each motor. One of mine was playing up when I bought my S4. Pulled the motor out, opened the gearbox up, replaced the little drive dogs (3), never been a problem since. I replaced them with some pieces of normal electrical cable (orange extension lead) with a piece of plastic tube over that to get to the right diameter. Cost of repair? $0 :thumbsup:

Easy fix.

If the motor still runs when you turn the lights on, but doesn't lift, more than likely it is the drive dogs. Seems to be a fairly normal fault. If it doesn't run, of course, it's something else. I actually reckon you could buy yourself some nylon round at a hardware shop or something similar that was the correct diameter and then you'd have a huge supply of the little things. Biggest job is getting the unit in and out.

I used a glue stick since it has a little elasticity. Also don't worry about synchronizing the light pods. They do so themselves as the relays supply a timed current.

Or you might find rust has locked the armature and magnets together. I've had both problems and made clear plastic raincoats over the motors. I couldn't find where the water was getting to my RH motor.

I thought about glue stick as well Danny, but was not sure about how resilient it would be. But for the cost of it who cares?

That all looks familiar. I used the glue sticks as an experiment but they've lasted 3 years so all good. I think the solid nature of the original nylon is more prone to cracking and busting.

Those three bolts that hold the motor to the bracket is where I attached the 'raincoats" . Simple rectangular cuts of clear plastic that fold over the motors. If you study the body there is a vent hole where water can get in and rust the armature.