Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Racing head gasket for 2.2 required - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Racing head gasket for 2.2 required

M Blur

Hi guys,

Looking at the spec of the X180R, S300LM, GT2 etc then I need to source an uprated head gasket to handle higher levels of boost.

Who supplies these - anything UK or US side? :lol:

What other engine mods will be neccessary for running higher boost levels for sustained race conditions?

:)

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Looking at the spec of the X180R, S300LM, GT2 etc then I need to source an uprated head gasket to handle higher levels of boost.

Who supplies these - anything UK or US side? :lol:

What other engine mods will be neccessary for running higher boost levels for sustained race conditions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would suggest that you contact Garry Kemp regarding potential upgrades to the 2.2 race engine.

garrykemp@lineone.net

He is definately one of the top-men on the Lotus 910 engine.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

There's an alternate school of thought developing here. One becoming increasing used by other turbo modifiers. If the gasket won't blow something else more critical and expensive will eg. pistons, ring lands etc. They make sure that the a/f and timing maps are spot on and undertake exhaustive dyno and road tuning to avoid detonation.

DanR

There's an alternate school of thought developing here. One becoming increasing used by other turbo modifiers. If the gasket won't blow something else more critical and expensive will eg. pistons, ring lands etc. They make sure that the a/f and timing maps are spot on and undertake exhaustive dyno and road tuning to avoid detonation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

enter stage left - Freescan.. I think std gasket may be a bit weak tho... B)

Always the old age problem - you modify sth and it has a knock-on effect - finding the weakest link.. :lol:

Will email Garry asap, thx

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

std lotus part. composite. replaces all the laminated early ones too. expensive, but worth it. or i have heard Cometic make one too.

i think your gonna be needing to find some serious boost/power before u are gonna need one of them.

std lotus part. composite. replaces all the laminated early ones too. expensive, but worth it. or i have heard Cometic make one too.

i think your gonna be needing to find some serious boost/power before u are gonna need one of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks - anyone got a part #...

We're already looking at a sutained 1.25 bar but if ecu runs the 3 bar map sensro then who knows.. :)

When you say expensive?

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Lotus used Coopers rings in the race engines, requires a lipped liner. Coopers rings were 40 GBP each last time I bought some. You still need to use a composite head gasket with the firering removed when fitting Coopers rings.

Cometic will manufacture a laminated steel gasket if you want to purchase 100 or more, maybe a group buy would help here. Cometic's composite gasket doesn' measure up to Lotus' Goetze gasket.

Other engine builders have used solid copper head gaskets, but sealing the water passages is somewhat problematic with copper.

A Goetze gasket should hold up to 400 horsepower if you don't use increased boost alone to get you there.

STEVE S.

Lotus used Coopers rings in the race engines, requires a lipped liner.  Coopers rings were 40 GBP each last time I bought some.  You still need to use a composite head gasket with the firering removed when fitting Coopers rings.

A Goetze gasket should hold up to 400 horsepower if you don't use increased boost alone to get you there.

STEVE S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P Ok - I'm pretty new to all this Lotus stuff and everyone is talking in Hethnel-jargon - is the Goetze gasket the Lotus one referred to above and can be ordered from lotus, yes? :lol: That would seem the imemdiate solution until I exceed 400bhp.

It's funny being on this side for once - usually I'm the geeky jargonistic one. :)

Many tks guys.

Jon

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

:P Ok - I'm pretty new to all this Lotus stuff and everyone is talking in Hethnel-jargon - is the Goetze gasket the Lotus one referred to above and can be ordered from lotus, yes? :lol: That would seem the imemdiate solution until I exceed 400bhp.

It's funny being on this side for once - usually I'm the geeky jargonistic one. :)

Many tks guys.

Jon

Yes, the standard Lotus gasket is the Goetze composite gasket. It is a good one.

BTW, the standard Lotus composite gasket (Goetze), started with the S4s Esprit and is actually .018" taller than the old SE gasket. This is also good if you had to have any machining done on the head, since you are allowed to remove up to .018". It is also just fine on a stock SE, and is what Lotus would sell you whether you have machined the head or not.

Note that Lotus has also changed the head torquing procedure since the 88-92 shop manual was written, and now use a torque + angle spec for the head studs. Ask for the revised instructions when you buy the gasket.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Jon,

Indeed, the head gasket from Lotus is manufactured by Goetze. It should seve your needs well. Just make sure the nip measurements are within spec, the liners have a habit of digging into the block at the seat. Race engines used a specially made steel ring to combat this. If the nip isn't correct, even the Goetze gasket will fail.

STEVE S.

Hey Steve, what are you supposed to do if the nip is low?

Sanj,

I just checked my nips last night, they're still there. I don't think they've gotten too low? :)

Actually I was just doing that last night. Initial check with a straightedge. I will do it again with a ground bar and a depth gauge.

http://www.lotuscolorado.com/vulcangrey/gallery/engine

I would assume that you machine the top mating surface of the block to put the nip back into spec. I remember seeing how much is allowable in the manual, but don't remember the number off the top of my head, but the nip spec is -.001" to +.002"

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE