free hit
counters
A very highly modified 1980 Esprit - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lotusbled

A very highly modified 1980 Esprit

I am posting this topic for a friend who doesn't frequent forums much, however I was extensively involved in this transformation at almost all stages and am pleased to have had the experience. It is far from finished and needs some detail work and cleanup, but I think its presentable and may be of interest to some. When I first saw this vehicle it had a shaved cylinder head and some aftermarket camshafts as well as a custom header and exhaust. The SU carbs were replaced with Delartos, and the engine ran reasonably strong. The distributor was deleted in favor of an Electromotive DIS box. The owner has a friend with a turbo Esprit (carbureted.....1983?) and whilst visiting him and driving his turbo Esprit, we both decided that the car in question was missing one key ingredient....THE TURBO! After many hours of discussion over some Andretti red wine....and an offer of a good low mileage spare turbo from such a good friend, the decision was made to explore the idea of going turbo on the 1980. I made my arguments ( weakly, secretly hoping he would make the leap) to the effect that the car would be down for a long time, and that it would get quite costly, but there was no swaying my compadre. That the engine had to be dismantled was a given, and while it was being removed, the topic switched to fuel delivery......and carb vs EFI was the new dilemma. Well, the same arguments ensued, and while I favour EFI...I couldn't help but imagine the countless hours converting the car. In the end DTA FAST was the eventual winner and an ECU was ordered. Sensors were sourced, injectors chosen (577cc units from a Chrysler Neon SRT-4 Stage 2) and harness supplies ordered. When the subject of ignition was opened, I foolishly assumed the Electromotive would be integrated.....not so. Since the DTA had the ability to run coil-on-plug, the uniqueness of this upgrade drove us to overcome the complications this system entailed. I also sugested we get the car up and running sans intercooling at low boost, but this plan was quickly dismissed during the wait for custom pistons, and Bell intercoolers was enlisted to fabricate a water to air arrangement. The original carb manifolds were fitted with the injectors and a common plenum was designed from sheet aluminum and adorned with a billet 65mm throttle body pirated from a Ford Focus. On the exhaust side, the new stainless header flows through the turbo and out through a custom "Spintech" muffler and out dual outlets....a Tial wastegate has boost regulated to 10+/- psi. During the extended period of time this took place (about 3 years!!) a long time wild idea came to fruition in conjunction with the turbo/efi upgrade.....the radiator was relocated and the front luggage cover and spare tire compartment were extensively reconstructed so as to have the hot air exiting the radiator channeled up over the windshield via a large gaping duct! It looks menacing in person to say the least. Many hours were spent, and the tuning has progressed well...it has impressed me that we were able to see it back on the road. I uploaded an album to photobucket...hopefully this link works (I haven't used it before). Enjoy the pics, any questions, ask away!

Cheers,

Chris

Pics here: http://s914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/nugteren2000/Ross%20Lotus/

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice work on the instal but.....I dont even know where to begin!! lol

Do you suffer from a massif turbo lag?

Buddsy

I can see why it took 3 years. There's obviously a lot of work gone into that car. Shame about the Ferrari taillights but the radiator outlet reminds of old Esprit racecars and the NACA duct for the air inlet is a good idea for the air inlet on an S1. That engine compartment certainly looks full when you see it through the tailgate window.

How does it drive? How much boost are you running?

Yes, even after 3 years its still not really finished. It needs paint, and the interior needs finishing. We currently run 10psi, but after some finalizing of tuning at current levels, we aim to make just shy of 1 BAR....about 14psi is the goal. Before the turbo conversion, this car was scaled at 2200lbs (although it surely has gained some weight from the added componentry), so the power to weight makes it reasonably quick. A visit to the dyno soon will give us a power number....we had always discussed 300 flywheel horsepower as a realistic wish. (Maybe 260+/- wheel hp).

Was that an S1 then? Spoiler on front looks S2 to my untrained eyes but there are no ears?

Buddsy

The car is an S2. As for the Canadian plates/American flag...the owner resides in Canada, but the photos were taken on one of our first road trips after getting the car up and running. We drove 5 hours visit our friend in upper New York state who owns the green turbo Esprit (visible in one photo). He lives near Watkins Glen.

Edited by Lotusbled

Yikes! :shock:

Wars have started over less contentious statements.

Aren't England and Wales the same place?

Thats totally different, now go wash your mouth out with soap you rude rude boy! :P

Was expecting much more of a backlash than that :)

You Americanadians are slacking somewhat

We're not the same. Canada is more progressive and much less violent. It's also colder, poorer, and more French.

yes us canadian all live in either communes or igloos while americans live in trailer parks, but i must say my favorite difference between us is while the americans have the right to bear arms we canadians have the right to bare breasts.... sigh im so glad its summer :) now id invite my southern brethren to come up and enjoy the site with a cold beer but after 2 maybe 3 bottles you guys keep passing out

cool... i dont usually like highly modify early esprits but this one has caught my fancy for some reason...

looks like it will be a rocket sled

what size are the wheels and tires? the look like a perfect fit without going to modern 17,18 or 19 inchers.

i can use the original S2 wheels if he wants to part with them..

thanks for posting

pp

The car is near Ottawa, Ontario. The wheels are compomotive 3 piece 15". Tires (tyres) are 205/6015 Front and 285/50/15 Rear I believe. Not sure he still has the original speedlines anymore...I will check.

Good to see lively cross-border banter! Americanadians.....LMAO!