free hit
counters
Removing Diff on Elite - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi All, following the discovery of leaking wheel cylinders on rear brakes, and a possible diff oil seal leak, decided to remove the diff complete with brakes, re build the wheel cylinders, do seal, and put all back together, easy really, NOT

Studied the manual, laid under the car and studdied the Diff and suroundings, read the manal again at least 3 times, removed all relavant bolts, but diff will not come down as held up by handbrake cables, How do you get to the pins to remove the cable from rear of brake back plate, Guess some one has tried and suceeded with this, any tips and hints very greatfully recieved.

It almost looks like will have to pull the shafts from Diff, unbolt back plates and take down in bits??

Regards

Mike

:thumbsup:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Mike, from memory I used to use very long bull nosed pliers from underneath the diff slightly to the front, this worked but was still not easy especially if split pins are used insted of R clips. Now no longer a problem on my car due to diff conversion. Have Entered two races at Silverstone on 7th July at the Bentley Driveds Club race meet. Hope to go testing in the next couple of weeks.

Good Luck Dan.

P.S. I have various diff parts that are now not needed for my car.

Hi Dan

Thanks for the info, will try to have a lie under tomorrow and see if there is any chance, of geting up there, have couple of sets of forcepts so may be lucky with those. You know some times when something that should be easy and becomes a bigger job than you hoped for, is just going to be one of those jobs!!

Glad to here you will shortly be back in the fray, keep us all up to date with how things go, other than you rear diff conversion what else have you done to her this winter??

Good luck with the first races

Regards

Mike

ps will keep in mind you have some diff bits, just orderd some other bits and pieces off Mike at Lotus bits for mine,

have a quick look at the fibreglass area above the diff. It is not unknown for previous owners to have cut access holes to access this area from behind the rear seat pad. My current car has two removable panels for this purpose.

Thanks Duncan, in my case, unfortunatly no kind previous owner has done this, did have a look originaly in case there was a way in from above, will try to have bit of a lie under her today with good torch to see up beside back plate and see if can get to them.

Thanks for the tip though.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Duncan

Have done the same as on yours, few holes with drill, and a Jig saw, and horray can get to not only the handbrake clevis pins, but also flexible brake pipes, which am replacing with braided stainless any how so will just cut them, what sort of cover have you on yours,? I thought about using alloy, but wondered about flat fiberglass,

Once again thanks for the tip.

Regards

Mike

mine uses two rectangles of tin, secured with screws and with a bead of silicone round the side to act as a "gasket". However, you could use anything thats thin enough to allow the seat base to be refitted.

best wishes

Duncan

Mike,

changing the output seals on the diff is a fearsome task from what Mike at Lotusbits tells me, if you've got a slight weep, drill a drain hole in the back plate and rivet a steel plate "funnel" to the back plate to direct the dribble to the outside, where it wont contaminate the brake linnings, this is what some kindly previous owner has done on mine, linning were nice and dry (read that as rusty and siezed up) on my car despite the leak.

If you do go down the new bearing seal route.... keep us posted as to the best way of tackling it.

Wynns used to make an oil seal reconditioner that when added to engine or transmission oil makes hard aged rubber seals soft and swell up, I'm going to see if I can find some and try it on my car. It wont work if the seal is torn though. as an aside thier PAS fluid does a similar job sealing power racks, mines very "sweaty" so I'm going to give that a go too. I'll post my findings on here as and when!

I like the idea of a "mechanic in a can " fix if modern chemistry can help, sadly there is a lot of "snake oil" out there!!

regards

Mark

Hi Mark

Been spared the diff seals job, thankfully, found the rear paper gasket for rear diff cover was culprit, not much oil leaking, but blown around over the years and coated bit of chassis, stuck new paper gasket in and no leak, on bench any way.

Did have wheel cylinder leak, but thankfully it had obviously only happened after she was parked up as brake shoes not contaminated, inside of drums like yours dry and very rusty, taken oportunity to clean all rust off diff and brakes and repaint complete unit, before rebuilding brakes, next job to lift it back in place, should be fun.

Like you, saw advert in one of autofactors magazines for the oil addative to rejuvinate seals, sounds interesting worth a try if have a problem with weapy seals.

Just found it in the Euro Parts Booklet REDEX Oil Stop Leak, From 4.99, blurb says one bottle treats entire oil system, helps rejuvinate oil seals,Helps stop all types of minor oil leaks, including split pipes and cracked sumps,

How is your project coming along.

Regards

Mike

Edited by EliteMike

Hi Mark

Yes been reading your threads with interest, exciting little blighters arnt they. Enjoying doing mine because most of it worked ok, was just very rusty, dirty or just plain siezed up. Most of the electrics work ok but got a few nigles, like most of them, things like the main beam works, dip does not??????????? , thats for another day though, bet when get to stage of getting it mot,d every thing will go wrong.

Took fuel tank out over weekend, quite rusty on outside water had been getting in down through the filler pipe seals and saturated the felt on the tank, started cleaning it all of when sudenly a small hole appeared, going to clean the rest off but fear the worst and may need to sourse a fresh tank, If any one has a spare one minus rust holes could you get in touch.

Good luck with the mot on Saturday

Regards

Mike

Probably the best bet would be to ring Mike Taylor at Lotus Bits for a tank, he'll post it and guarantee it

MOT didnt work out as domestic stuff took a lot longer than anticipated, also the garage I want to use is shut on saturdays for the next month.

Will get it MOT'd as soon as I can

regards

Mark

Grateful to find this thread before I pulled the diff out thinking I could both sort the handbrake adjustment and put new seals in the output shafts to fix a slight weeps. 

Actually discovered a previous owner had done the funnel/drain hole fix, but one of the pop rivets had failed, allowing some diff oil to contaminate the pads (not much, but had been a slight worry).  That was a quick and easy fix, so decided cutting a hatch was the way to go to sort the handbrake.

Thought this picture showing the funnel arrangement might be handy if anyone else stumbles on the thread like I did.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2