free hit
counters
Feed for high level brake light - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

Feed for high level brake light

I have a high level brake light to fit , it will sit behind the rear window in the engine bay area, does anyone know where I can take the feed from? Or what wires I'm looking for?

Thanks

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You can tap off the rear brake light one of two ways. In the harness ( little more difficult to track down ) or at the rear brake light cluster. Remember that you will also have to pull up an earth lead to the other side of your HMBL ( high mount brake light ) in order to complete the electrical circuit. In the S4 the rear engine hatch strut actually has two spade connections used to carry the negative side. Someone was thinking on that. Though you can get the strut with out.

Without looking at the schematics for the particular model year I cannot tell you which colour wire you are looking for. But you can easily track it down at the rear brake light cluster.

Hi Christopher,

Hope your well, I'll have a look at the weekend don't think I have the spade terminals as I replaced the struts with ones of a peugeot for a tenner from the local scrap yard.

Want the brake light installed as people just dont look otherwise

Chris

Matters not about the spade terminals on the strut as you are mounting behind the glass on the hatch. You will just have to remember to pull up an additional wire for the earth lead in your High Mount. In a normal car you could use the body as the earth but as we all know, the Esprit is not a normal car.

Remember that at your rear brake light cluster you will have three wire leads to the bulb. One is +12v for the running/parking lamps, the other is the +12v for the brake lamp ( dual filament bulb ) and then you have your earth lead.

Edited by cjtpb13

When you mount the LED strip inside the window, make sure you mount it at the top and not the bottom. Apart from cars behind getting a better view of it, you will see less 'red light' in your rear view mirror at night. I ran a 2 core cable from the new light all the way back to the passenger side brake light and spliced it to the original wiring their. It went from the rear light cluster, behind the carpet, over the wheel arch and popped out near the base of the gas strut for the rear hatch. I then clipped it to the strut body and left enough slack so that the cable didn't pull tight when the hatch is up. The new light is almost invisible when it's not lit, and can easily be seen by all traffic behind when it is.

The brake light feed wire is green/pink and you should see a black wire for the earth.

post-5938-002716600 1279076762.jpg

Edited by stevem