free hit
counters
Intercooler duct heat shield - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ads_green

Intercooler duct heat shield

I've noticed that the black plastic box duct mounted to the air chargecooler radiator (the one that has the two black hoses feeding cold air) gets really hot from the radiated heat from the engine.

It actually feels hotter to the touch than the chargecooler radiator itself. I was thinking of adding some heat shielding to this - something like http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Car_Preparation/Heat_Shielding_&_Protection/CoolIt_Adhesive_Backed_Heat_Barrier/1471/2035

Or for the ultimate bling http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Car_Preparation/Heat_Shielding_&_Protection/Design_Engineering_Reflect_A_Gold/1471/1983 :rolleyes:

Anybody have any thoughts on this? good idea or not?

Edited by ads_green

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have the gold on my car. Don't know how much it actually helps, I have not datalogged intake temps. It looks good and the housing feels much cooler to the touch.

I installed a 2bular header with no heat shielding like on the stock header so I have a layer of gold on the bottom of the housing just above the header.

Dan

The air flow from the inlet will soon sort out the heat soaked tempurature as soon as you start moving at speed from our experience. Usually about 3 minutes. However if you are doing lots of stop starts and need instant performance then yes extra shielding is essential.

We use exactly the same adhesive backed barrier you have found although our air feed box is made from ally and I've never tried applying that stuff to plastic!

I checked the temp after a Hugh speed run which is why I thought it was a bit hot. Will try to see the iat sensor reading before and after from the obd

I've done the same as Mr OZ -- added the gold reflective tape.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

All done - stuck with the silver as I preferred the look.

IAT is much lower - OBD reporting circa 10 degrees C and the box is almost cool to the touch.

Easy to do (although removing the duct to do a proper job is a pain with the location of the screws and nyloc bolts that spin inside the duct!)

Here's a pic of my engine bay after the heat shield material fitted. Looks alot better as mat black looks a bit dull in an engine bay.

airintake.JPG

Edited by ads_green