free hit
counters
fuel tank, repair or replace? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mdw

fuel tank, repair or replace?

Ive just removed the r/h tank from my stevens n/a and need to decide repair or replace. Ive got a lot of heavy rust on top and 2 holes the size of a 5p near the filler neck, the base is also corroded. Can anyone advise the best place for repair or supply of new ones.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm afraid that the guy that did mine is a bit far from you. But if you go the repair rout get it pressure checked. Had I gone for a replacement, I would have one made here, probably in alloy. I believe Sparky has been down this path.

Yup Roger, Sparky and I fitted a new tank to Pete Hutchens motor a couple of months back. He took his old tank and had a new one paterned from it so he's the man to contact for details......

Thanks for the comments guys. Ive scraped the foam off the bottom and theres more holes there so its going to be a new tank. New ally one from SJs arriving tomorrow. The l/h tank is almosty perfect with no sign of rust and the foam and wood in perfect nick. But then the l/h vent is ducted straight to the engine bay, the right just dumps rain laden air straight over the fuel tank. As the air temp control is missing I think I will duct the r/h side straight to the engine bay as well. New rad, 3 fans and a tank = bit of an expensive week!!