free hit
counters
lotus exige S advice - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
psg001

lotus exige S advice

Hi all,

have been thinking about getting a lotus exige S for a while. I've been a big fan of the elise for ages, my brother has a 111S and we've tracked that a bit, i've always thought with more grunt it would be even better.

I'm looking at the Exige S (220bhp) and the Exige S with the performance pack (240bhp). looking to spend upto about 30k max on the car. I'm gonna book a test drive later this month.

I currently drive a 2006 audi RS4. its fast, but you do have to hit big numbers to get that thrill, where as in my brothers 111S, even at lower speeds its thrilling.

A few questions..

(1) is there much difference in reality (on the road) between the standard exige S and one with the performance pack?? can the performance pack be retro-fitted or is it a factory option only?

(2) can you keep the car outside all the time or would you recommend a garage / car cover as the section over the engine is very open?

(3) how long is the factory warranty and any major faults with the car??

(4) any exige S owners in the NW I could meet with for a chat / look over the car?

appreciate any advice..

Priyan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

1) on the road, not much difference really.You are talking 10 lb/ft right up the rev range. Nothing to stop you retrofitting the pack (it's only a roof scoop panel, ecu and brakes) however I don't think the variable traction control would be straightforward to fit.

2) not a problem outside.

3) as a Lotus road car I believe it's 2 years

Ads

Its considerably more expensive to retro-fit the Performance Pack constituents.

With a budget of £30k, you should comfortably be able to find a late example with the Performance Pack already fitted.

Good luck with your purchase.

thanks guys.

will get a test drive soon. its gonna be my 2nd car so for fun driving / track days.

will be interesting to see how the performance is compared with my RS4. upto 60 the exige is probably quicker, 60-100 not sure, over 100 probaby the RS4's got the advantage (not that I drive over 100!)

Exige should just still be ahead at 100 (9.9 for exige 10.4 for audi)

But after that the audi will begin realing in the exige as 400+bhp is more than 240. :police:

I liked the RS4 and nearly bought one however the exige will run circles round it

I Have an Exige and what Guy says is right.

Sorry Ads but it's not simple. I had a quote to do my Exige S and the retro fit was circa £8000. Like you said it's a roof scoop, ECU and a few other bits but it's alot more involved than that. Hence the price.

Guy is the man in the know Priyan, being at Stratton Motors Lotus Dealer. Also like he says, if you have a budget of £30k then you have enough to get a late model with pack anyway.

On an aside, I have driven the Audi and it is fast but it's nowhere near as fun even in comparison to the 220. I must admit that after 100 you will get caught up but on track theres not alot that can keep up in the twisties or off the line.

The original poster asked if it was easy... it is, however I didn't say it was cheap or economical :police:

However 8k for retrofit? I'd be interested to see how that was made up. I mean, the big brake kit is 1500-1700 so I would have thought that was the biggest part. ECU - depends if reflash or replacement but assume replacement thats about 550-750. Fitting that should be easy after all it's only 4 bolts. I had to remove mine from the 211 and had access problems but still only took an hour.

Roof scoop - no idea on cost but guess supplied unpainted so add on 300 quid to that. Interested to see how it was fitted but even if it's bonded in place thats a couple hundered.

I guess going through it we're already at 4-5k without huge amounts of fitting added in so I guess 8k would be achievable.

Roof scoop is a complete new roof isn't it?

Seriously if you are going to want those extras just get the car with it already on, its just a pain to retrofit :police:

yeah Kimbers, I'm hoping the Exige S will be really exciting to drive, I know my brothers 111S was a real thrill to drive on the B-roads

3k sounds cheap when you look at potential cost of retro-fitting.

are there any other options for the 220bhp Exige S to push the power to 240bhp - i.e. aftermarket remap / exhaust / cats change or is that a bad idea?

how much is warranty extension on the Exige S??

I have a CAT 3 exhaust 99db sounds awesome......and 1db under track requirements :rolleyes:

I wouldn't remap or tune a 220 to 240. It just isn't worth it. The 220 is right on the edge regarding airflow etc etc. I was told without the full performance pack they couldn't guarantee the reliability and I would null en void my warranty.

Go with the 240 if thats what you really want.....Though I saw a Cup 260 for sale at Snetterton for only 10k more than your budget. Maybe borrow a bit?