free hit
counters
Close Ratio Box - Graunch in 1st - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
douglasgdmw

Close Ratio Box - Graunch in 1st

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a slight graunch noise when they are putting the car into 1st?

It appears to be only happening at low speeds i.e. when I am coming up to a junction or traffic lights - car is completely fine when pulling away or selecting 1st normally.

Anyone experienced this or is it a quite trip back to the dealer for more investigation.

Cheers

George

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

George

I am getting an unpleasant vibration from the gear lever in 2nd and 3rd gears which almost disappears if I move the gear lever slightly to the left or right, depending on which gear I am in. When I select 2nd gear going up the box it is a bit notchy and on the way down the box into 2nd gear I get what I would describe as a graunching noise.

I have had my car back to the dealer and they tried to alter the tension of the gear lever cables but without success. It was then looked at by someone from the factory (Gary I think his name was) and I was told that it may disappear once the car has loosened up a bit. They want to see the car again after about 6,000 miles to assess the noise then.

Service Manager Craig is on holiday until 20th July so if you were thinking of taking your car back in you might be better waiting until then.

If you would like to meet up and compare noises just let me know. I live in Fife and travel to Stirling every day.

Brian

Brian,

I have no noises at all from the gearbox when travelling at other speeds and the gearbox feel itself is fine when moving up/down gears with no vibrations. The car has done just over 3000 miles now.

Will have a chat with Craig when he comes back from holiday then. I am away on holiday/business soon but may take you up on the offer of noise comparisons but may not be till August.

Cheers

George

I have been getting some annoying vibration when lifting the clutch, any time the wheels and engine are at different speeds, especially bad starting in 1st or downshifting. I let the dealer drive it, and he agreed something was wrong. When the engineers got a look, they basically decided I needed a whole new clutch! Apparently the problem is that the engine was never designed to have a stick shift attached, so there is some 'adapter' piece to make it work, and that is causing the problem. Not sure how it could have left the factory vibrating like that though :/

The new clutch has arrived and it's in the shop right now being fitted. Apparently this is no small task, and will take about a week. It involves taking the rear clamshell off, I guess that's the fun of mid-engined cars!

I don't know if this is the same problem you are having, but I do wonder if this piece might be a weak point in the transmission in general.

Justin,

Yep it is when moving very slowly when going up to roundabout or junction.

Cheers

George

Without sounding stupid, is it possible you are going too fast for 1st gear?

• Like 1

Without sounding stupid, is it possible you are going too fast for 1st gear?

Justin,

To be honest I very much doubt it as I would only really move into 1st around 5. Admittedly I have not looked at the speedo when doing this so can't categorically say what my speed is but definitely not too fast and not changed my driving from my previous elise.

Cheers

George

A week? Really?!

Yep, apparently replacing the clutch is listed as around 35 hours of labour. I am very glad that's all under warranty!

Blimey. What's that going to cost when we need one doing out of warranty?!

What's a typical hourly rate? £75? So we're looking at pushing £3k for a new clutch with parts! :thumbdown:

Hopefully it will last beyond my ownership of the car...

No issues as described but do have an occasional problem changing 2to 3 in full attack ie overtaking. The box balks badly and revs do not want to drop which means a graumch. Under all other normal conditions I have not had any problems. Clearly losing drive and speed when fully committed to an overtake isn't great!

No issues as described but do have an occasional problem changing 2to 3 in full attack ie overtaking. The box balks badly and revs do not want to drop which means a graumch. Under all other normal conditions I have not had any problems. Clearly losing drive and speed when fully committed to an overtake isn't great!

I have complained about my standard box since new baulking particularly 1st or 3rd especially when cold. Not so much of a graunch but more of a baulking. It is a definite fully depressed clutch job and nothing too quick then. I have also had the "refuse to go into 3rd when making a fast change up under hard acceleration" a few times. Almost had a boot mascot in the shape of a 2-11 during one of the Scottish forum hoon's when I didn't keep accelerating as expected and we weren't even overtaking!

Reviving a 2yr old thread here... I just took delivery of a MY12 S this weekend and are experiencing the grinding noise when accelerating from bellow 2K revs.

Engine revs fine, no noises. Even just letting the torque move the car forward it's quiet. Only when the clutch is fully engaged in gear and accelerating does the noise come up. Around 2.5K and above it goes away (or the exhaust covers the noise).

Normal? Does it go away after miles?

Thanks for any input!

I had difficulty in engaging first a few weeks after having the new cables fitted. I'm told this is common and it took five minutes to adjust.

I had difficulty in engaging first a few weeks after having the new cables fitted. I'm told this is common and it took five minutes to adjust.

That's good news, I had mine replaced last week and first/second can be almost impossible to select at times.

You need to adjust the crossshift cable, which many dealers don't seem to get right. See issue #3 in my thread.

That's good news, I had mine replaced last week and first/second can be almost impossible to select at times.

Reviving a 2yr old thread here... I just took delivery of a MY12 S this weekend and are experiencing the grinding noise when accelerating from bellow 2K revs.

Engine revs fine, no noises. Even just letting the torque move the car forward it's quiet. Only when the clutch is fully engaged in gear and accelerating does the noise come up. Around 2.5K and above it goes away (or the exhaust covers the noise).

Thanks for any input!

Can I clarify - I think you're describing a transmission noise while you're moving in-gear, rather than a noise when you are changing gear? This has been mentioned by others and I had it on test drives on about 50% of the S cars I drove. Sounds a bit agricultural/diesel rattle from idle up to about 2500rpm in 1st and sometimes 2nd. Many dealers describe this as "a characteristic of the gearbox" and don't seem to regard it as a fault. On some cars it has disappeared over time but on many it hasn't. I think some persistent people have managed to get it resolved - possibly a combination of clutch adjustment (throw-out bearing?), and engine mounts. There's been quite a lot on LotusTalk about it I gather, but I haven't look at it in detail.

TomE:

Yes. When in-gear, in 1st or 2nd, accelerating from below 2,000 RPMs the noise is audible.

If I slip the clutch and let it grab the gear in a higher RPM, the noise is lessened.

On LT, some say it's normal, some say it goes away, and others say they don't have the noise at all.

Hmm. Thanks for the input. I'll see what the tech guys at the dealer has to say.

As for changing gear... it's pretty slick. There's a satisfying metallic click when going into all the gates.

It does seem to be quite a common noise and a trait of the transmission - in it's usual installation it would be smoothered by sound deadening and/or diesel clatter. For most, including me the noise had subsided after a thousand miles or so. Rack up the miles and if the noise still hasn't gone then I'd see if something can be done about.

Unlike some people, mine has got slightly more noticeable. I was checking for it on test drives as I'd experienced it on several new and used S cars. Was very faint when I test drove mine (with 7k miles) and it is now slightly more obvious (at 8k miles). It may just be because more of my recent use is town and A/B roads so I'm in 1st/2nd more ... or that I'm listening out for it! B&C are having a look at it on Wed but have already deployed the "TADTS" line ;)

On 22/7/2012 at 23:05, insertaliashere said:

Thanks for any input!

Hi @insertaliashere , same noise in my evorA 400.

I have it in ALL GEARS below 2500 RPM, when I accellerate (in deceleration don't do it).

Do you have in all gearsor just in certain gears?

I have a s1 sr and going in to first when coming to a stop is it the boxes favourite movement. When warm it's fine but when cold it doesn't love it. Basically it can feel like a bit of a rough change. 

On 2/19/2017 at 01:36, Alfo86 said:

Hi @insertaliashere , same noise in my evorA 400.

I have it in ALL GEARS below 2500 RPM, when I accellerate (in deceleration don't do it).

Do you have in all gearsor just in certain gears?

It's hard to tell. I've had my car for almost 5 years now with ~49,000 miles and eventually you don't notice it anymore. It just becomes part of the normal sound of driving the car