free hit
counters
what have you run over - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

There I was middle lane on the M42 doing 70mph singing along to my ipod, F~}@#~~# [email protected]}{[email protected]: (or words to that effect) set of double Alu ladders in the middle lane I hit the brakes which thinking about it was the wrong thing to do cos it made the front dive a bit which then caused the lower front spoiler to hit the ladders,crash, bang and scrape, a look in the mirror saw them exit my car with a bit of something flying sky wards.I feared the worse as I carried on up the motorway,broken front spoiler broken rear bumper but as it happens it looks like I may have got away with it,the only damage seems to be the lower lower front spoiler(the black bit)and that looks like it only come unattached.

Need to get it on the ramps to be sure,but fingers crossed :police:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouchy! I hit a plank of 2x4 on the motorway, looked like I'd shredded it with a cloud of wood chippings behind me but thankfully no damage other than to my pants!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I hit a deer on the A9 just about 3 years ago in my 14 day old Audi A8, knocking it in the air and into the path of an HGV heading in the other direction.... the deer didn't survive.

My passenger and I were very lucky as I had swerved into the path of the HGV to avoid the deer and just got back onto my side of the road in the nick of time.

I heard the deer hit my car and the thump of it hitting the HGV as well.....it was that close. :police:

£3,500 worth of damage and you've guessed it, the deer had no insurance, so I have to declare that as an insurance loss when seeking new insurance quotes. :censored:

Years ago i hit a coach wheel trim on the M4. Three lanes of traffic and I was in the middle lane all three lanes doing about the same speed. Saw this enormous hub cap lying flat on the road in front of the car infront right by the white line on the left hand side. Moved over to the right of the lane to avoid it (could not change lanes as all lanes full) and the dozy bugger infront runs straight over it and flips it onto its edge and right into the middle of the lane so i get to hit it square on. @rse.

Where i live in oxfordshire if you have not run over a rabbit then it means you don't own a car. Even if you drove everywhere at 10mph the buggers would be throwing themselves under your wheels, sometimes you struggle for grip as your tyres are covered in so much guts spread over the road by others. Have never (touch wood) done a badger or deer, but have missed several and seen the damage they can do. Hit a dog in banbury once, came out of nowhere and ran off after i hit it. I went to the cop shop to report that one, angry that some knob had left it to run around on the Oxford to banbury road.

:P

I've had ten sheets of half inch 8ft x 4ft plywood come off my van at about 60 mph on the A40 to oxford, it had all the office workers in their Vauxhalls and Fords darting all over the place to avoid it but caused no damage. These people spend all day in some office on an industrial park, working in the same room, with the same people, every day and i feel that i did my bit by giving them something new to talk about when they got there (the bloke and his mate running back and forward into the road to try and recover busted up bits of wood that they nearly hit), other than last nights telly or that bitch in accounts etc...

:rolleyes:

I had a lucky escape when a big tipper truck with twin rear wheels spat a brick out at me on the A38 at around 40mph...

I still remember seeing it bouncing at head height back towards me...:rolleyes:

By sheel luck as it hit the road in front of my rather natty (Read as scruffy shed) red pug 205xs it rolled instead of bouncing and it shot under the front lip exploding on the sump - thought I was a goner :P

Only a permanent pucker in the drivers seat and brick dust all over the bottom of the car to show for it :blink:

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Gold FFM

I ran over a Marina front bumper once - mine. One mounting finally gave way due to rot, the bumper dropped to the ground and under the wheel, ripped out the other side and went cartwheeling down the road behind me. Fun to watch pedestirans scatter.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Ran over a set of keys at about 10MPH or so last year. Made the most tremendous racket, and ruined my right front tire, since a key went in to the sidewall. I put what was left of the keys on the sidewalk near where I ran over them, but about an hour later a bloke was knocking on my door asking if I had the rest of his keys. I told him he was welcome to check my tire :rolleyes:. Idiot.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Hit a pheasant at 60mph in Paul C's part of the world (couldn't find any rabbits) in the Esprit. Smashed the front spoiler and decapitated the bird. Serves it right for being stupid but death by Esprit is quite a cool way to go. Left a lovely cloud of feathers in my wake.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I have done a few rabbits and pheasants in my time behind the wheel plus a dog and a fox. The only casualties I have had while driving a lotus are pesky ....

DSC00140.jpg

Where to start? Biffed an owl, once..hit the middle of the Alfa windscreen.. that was back in the RAF days. Later on ..being a deckape on a yacht in the Med..I was driving from La Grande Motte to Montpellier, with The Owner, in The Mole..an ex-Gas Board Mini van with windows and full race 998 Cooper engine. Coming the other way was one of those old Citroen corrugated iron panel vans...with the side door slid back. This proceeded to detach itself and ascend into the heavens...then descend towards me, fluttering as it came. I floored the beast and in a roar of exhaust she just snuck under the falling door, which speared into the highway behind us!! The Owner (an American, and unused to,er, spirited driving) went a bit wide eyed and white around the gills.

A real classic was my chum Pete Young, again in the RAF days...he was running a Hillman Imp van. On the way back to Linton-on-Ouse one Sunday, he ran over a fox.. THUMP, it went....he thought no more about it, until the engine overheated. The radiator in an Imp was by the LH rear wheel....and Mr. Foxey had got wedged in between the radiator grille and the wheel!!! Peter, being an ingenious chap, stopped and phoned the RAC, exercising his membership privileges, and told them the vehicle had overheated....the poor patrolman, when he arrived, was faced with removing chunks of half cooked fox to clear the cooling system!! Peter never could get rid of the smell, and ended up buying loads of air freshener and selling the thing as fast as he could.....

As for rabbits... I remember the myxomatosis, when the roads were carpeted in squashed bunnies....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Do I start a list? I have always driven for a living as my jobs have always involved deals throughout the country.

First time I was old enough to drive a Lotus I dropped my old man off in the City. pulling away from the lights, doing circa 20mph a drunk fell into the road in front of me. thump...scrapppppeeeeeee thump. He hit the Valance on the Excel got dragged a few feet then I drove over him and he finally got stuck behind the rear axle and tail pipe on the N/S

Luckily, as they scraped him up from under the car (with a horrible smell of burning) even his friends and all witnesses stood up for me that I wasn't speeding and he had fallen right in front of me during a drunken brawl with his friend. He survived, with some bad burns and both arms and legs broken plus some ribs and a skull fracture, I visited him in hospital to see if he was ok but they wouldn't let me speak to him cause he was in an induced Coma to let the brain swelling go down. Both he and I were lucky that day, I honest thought I'd killed him.

The second one (and like Pauls rabbits, living anywhere near Thetford and you are eventually bound to hit one), was a big Buck Red Deer. I was in an M100 with the roof down and was doing circa...70...I saw it jump through the hedge about 30 ft in front of me and it ran into the fast lane. It zigged back into the slow causing me to swerve to the fast and then fatefully zagged back into the fast lane and BANG.

it hit the frontrolled over the screen and ended up just missing my fiance to end up in the road. The car cost about £4000 to repair the deer didn't survive and my fiance was traumatised so much she was making a keening noise (I thought it was the deer). She looked fine till she turned to me and where she'd had the window down all the left side of her face and hair was splattered with blood, fat (deer fat is disgusting) and bits of fur. :rolleyes:

Got lots more but by far the silliest was just last week on Thursday the 1st. I was on the first journey in my new Golf and on the A50 coming out of Stoke when the wierdest set of events, started by one builders truck losing a plank of wood, happened. The builders truck travelling in convoy with it swerved to avoid it and hit the central reservation, the only damage being his tool kit which flew out of the back ( he was doing circa 50 when he glanced off the armco). To my horror the tools all spilled out right in front of me...noooo my new car....Seeing as how I had a car to the left of me I braked hard and swerved one way and the other either missing or running over the tools safely until the dreaded bouncing hammer. The basted thing only bounced under my car and the claw end lodged in my fuel tank....Doh! only realised when I started losing fuel.

Sadly the cars behind me all ended up in a massive pile up avoiding the tools and I heard on 5 live about 10 mins later that the road had been closed off. So I suppose I was lucky.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Ran over a set of keys at about 10MPH or so last year. Made the most tremendous racket, and ruined my right front tire, since a key went in to the sidewall. I put what was left of the keys on the sidewalk near where I ran over them, but about an hour later a bloke was knocking on my door asking if I had the rest of his keys. I told him he was welcome to check my tire :rolleyes:. Idiot.

You should have asked for his name and address (so that you can find and return the key) then sent him a bill for the tyre as it's his damage.

None of these are in the Lotus, but I've ran over or hit a few things in my time, pheasant, sparrows, rabbits and hit a cat, but the worse must be the person I ran over, well his foot.

A lad who was riding his bike where he shouldn't have been, on the path towards on coming traffic decided to go in front of my car just as I pulled out of a junction. I didn't see him the last time I looked left as he was in a blind spot and I was looking right as I started to pull out, then a massive bang for me to look up and see a teenager under my front left wheel.

Luckily I had only started to move away and slowly, but it was enough to go over his foot, move it along the ground and break several bones in his foot and remove some skin. I reversed off him then got him off the road, to see my whole wing damaged and bonnet, but his bike was undamaged. He only lived a few miles away, so I took him home , the police where called and then an ambulance.

No blame was found, but personally I say he was in the wrong riding on the path where he shouldn't have been, towards traffic and in front of cars at a junction waiting to turn, can't remember that section in the highway code that says thats alright to do that. I had to claim on my insurance as he was a pedestrian unless I took a private claim out, and apparently I'm to blame because he is a pedestrian by my insurance company, people being only third party. I didn't bother as he had broken his foot lost 6 weeks off work so thought it might be a less to use the roads properly when riding a push bike.

My car cost £600 to put right, cost me personally £120 excess. Did shake me up though hitting a person however minor the injuries. I phoned the next day to see how he was, then three weeks later, he was recovering alright, that was some years ago now.

I'm personally amazed at the number of folks who have hit a person on here: three seems quite a lot for the small number of posts, no?

Even better you all seem to have got away with it... unless some of you are posting from jail and we don't know it! :thumbdown:

You should have asked for his name and address (so that you can find and return the key) then sent him a bill for the tyre as it's his damage.

Actually, it is funny you should mention that: I actually did invite him to check my tire (as a bit of a joke), but at that point my car was in my driveway, and I had not yet realized my tire was flat, having run over his keys only just around the corner from my place. It was only upon leaving about an hour or so later that I realized the tire had 'expired', so to speak.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Did have an altercation with a horse with rider on, quite a few years ago in a 48 hour old Vauxhall SRI.

Country lane, me getting too close to the horse's backside when overtaking. Horse obviously felt boxed in so lifted it's hind legs and kicked out. Goodbuy bonnet, passenger door and glass, and wing mirror.

Didn't realise quite how powerful horses could be until then.

And given them a wide birth since :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Fortunately never hit anything in the Lotus, but living in Norfolk the wildlife toll is significant

I once hit a pheasant while driving a 7.5T truck which exploded into a ball of feathers, when I got to Colchester I found it emebeded in the grill and the only way to get it out was to push it through - more feathers - one of my customers cooked it and ate it !

Years ago when I had a Sierra, every time it went in for a service the garage used to ask which headlamp lens I needed this month as I lost so many to pheasants and pigeons (even more stupid than pheasants) I've also hit cats and dogs but was quite upset when I hit an owl one night and ran over adder another day.

Last year I almost hit the biggest stag I have ever seen in Thetford forest at about 05.00am, strange smell in the car afterwards

Luckily I've never hit a person (well not with a car anyway!)

Colin