free hit
counters
Alpine Radio input solution - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
anubis1

Alpine Radio input solution

After beeing the 4th time to the workers about the "terrible" radio power signal input they gound a solution: it's to fit a new antenna on the roof. The inputsignal rises more than 50% on intensity but... the styling of the car suffers.

Anyhow: we found the problem: the radio antenna in the front is "totally underdimmensionned" and built in under different absorbing materials (including metal). So it is not the Alpinestation, it is the Lotus antenna. A.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the info Ritchie.

Any chance of posting a photograph of your car showing the position of the antenna.

Did they by any chance also find a GPS antenna under the clam which may account for the frequent loss of GPS signal?

I believe Lotus are aware of this problem and are fitting a larger and better positioned antenna to Evora's now.

There's a decent chance your car has the new system perhaps?

I think Ritchie has had a dealer or workshop fix his car. The factory solution is still internal however more powerful and better placed.

can the improved aerial be retro-fitted by the dealers ?

and if so will it be under the warrenty?

my radio is rubbish

No idea Paul, I'm not sure myself if it can be retro fitted or if it will be covered.

With these things, where would the line be drawn between an improvement to the car or a defect with it? As an example, if they get a nicer mirror cover which is slightly more aerodynamic and quieter would that be covered? Is that different to a questionable radio reception? I don't know mate, speak to your dealer I think is the answer.

I doubt anything that 'improves' functionality would be covered, I would expect only things that are faulty would be covered.

Unless there are marketing factors, such as all the owners complaining publicly.

Feedback on antenna problem:

I always loose navi contact and the radio sounds terrible, loosing broadcast transmitter every 4 minutes depending where driving. (tunnels, vallies etc.)

Navi: my garage now (after having replaced the mobile Alpine 7 times) opened the cover up to the speedometer and put the antenna right under the topleather instead having it buried under different materia downunder.

= more satellites are green and I am happier now. Anyhow... its still not "the hammer".,,, but I do not loose contact every tunnel or if it is cloudy.

Radio: they pulled out the "minisantenncable" from the deeply burried A-pillar and fixed it right under the black cover. = Better now. Anyhow... to achive the goal, they connected the alpine with a normal 20 cm rubberantenna and placed it on the roof (just for testing). = aha!!! full signal, no mess... fantastic. So we found out, that the original antenna is to much isolatet under some materials (also sheet metal) in the A-pillar and this is the reason, why radioinput is low.

then we discussed if putting the rubberantenna on the roof is "the solution". I said: no. Dont kill the design of the car. I accept a mediocre radiosignal input for what I use it instead of having "normal" sound but abusing the optic of the car.

This is where we are now. Anyhow... we know that the Alpine works correctly and that just the "antenna layout" is the reason for midage radiosound.

A.

Do any of you have a Laser or Camera detector in the car.

It may be my imagination but I have taken my Pogo Alert with laser detector out of the car and I think my FM radio signal has improved and I don't loose GPS signal. The latter might be due to the recent firmware update on the Blackbird.

I had the Pogo positioned centre screen just above the 2 central air-vents. The power lead then trailed (shifted slightly to the left of the screen so it didn't impair my view of the screen) to the 12v socket behind the parking brake.

I noticed one day while listening to MW in my driveway with the ignition on but the engine stopped that a high picked noise disappeared when I unplugged the Pogo!

I ran both the Pogo and the car speed and camera warnings for a while to check how accurate the Alpine/Blackbird is and I am happy that it does the job, so I have now removed the Pogo. The only thing is it warns of fixed camera and mobile sites on both sides of the road when it should only pick them up in the direction of travel and the icon does not depict the type of camera (according to the manual)...hey but thats another topic!

I will put the Pogo back in the car and see if it does degrade the signal on FM, or whether it was just my imagination.

I have no Laser or any other "detector system" on board. I had... long time ago... but made so many "error alarms" that it was not worth to continue.(Bell 500) A.