free hit
counters
Petrol smell - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I know this is one of those topics that keep coming up,but I've just been told by Paul Mattys that with the windows open you will get a petrol smell is this true,cos if it is then you might as well not have windows that open cos its that strong.I dont get any smell in the garage nor in the cab with windows shut

Any help would be good cos its still under the 3mth warranty,just got it back from them and they said they have rerouted a brether and checked all the other hoses and they are all ok.

Also and now this may be me(lack of food water or something) but i just gave it some at the lights off the motorway island and just as i was slowing down I felt a really dizzy.

Any thoughts please.:thumbdown:

Edited by nigeninja

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to have a smell of petrol inside my cockpit (and outside too). All the breather hoses were replaced, and i thought the engine mixture was too rich, or that the choke was getting stuck.Then abou

If you're getting a strong fuel smell, it means that either vapor or raw fuel is leaking from somewhere it shouldn't. There are many areas that can be causing the problem but the two most common are the crossover breather and Evaporative Emissions tubing or the fuel tanks.

If they have definitely ruled out all the fuel hose/tubing then I would look at the tanks next. You could have pin holes in the top of the tank and still not see fuel leaking out on the floor. There is a large access hole in the body under the car below each fuel tank. Raise the car, get your head under there and sniff in those areas and if you detect any fuel smell that is where your problem lies. I would also pull the quarter window panels and sniff around the top of the fuel tanks.

I spent many long frustrating hours tracking down the fuel smell issues on my first S4s and was finally able to get rid of all of them. It can be done, they didn't come from the factory that way.

Some other areas to check for possible sources besides those above: leaking fuel injectors, fuel supply lines and fittings, fuel pump gasket, charcoal cannister, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filler caps etc...

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

I have a similar situation. Had the tanks checked and the breather hose replaced. The hose was completely knackered and the smell at rest and in the cabin has been completely solved. Its only when you are moving and have the window open a bit. Have been told from several people thats just the way it is at certain speeds.

maybe thats the solution, just drive fast enough so that you cant smell it :thumbdown:

Twitter @radioRedwards

I've just been told by Paul Mattys that with the windows open you will get a petrol smell
Absolute rubbish.

Whilst the Esprit will draw in air from the engine bay when the windows are open you should not be smelling petrol (and hopefully nothing else). As said above, if you can smell petrol then there is a leak somewhere. Vent hoses are fairly easy DIY fixes, fuel tanks are not.

^ What he said. TADTS isn't an excuse for rotting tanks or pipe, one of which your car has. It's the perfect age for the problem, even GT3's and V8's are starting to have tank problems.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The windows being open (or sun-roof) mean air going past causes low air pressure in the cabin, fuel small gets pushed in from other areas via the seat-belt slots and the chassis. Ideally you need to resolve any leak issues then make sure the seat-belt slots are correctly covered by a piece of trim in the engine compartment (tank area) and the gear stick has a good solid rubber gaiter sealing it.

..... then make sure the seat-belt slots are correctly covered by a piece of trim in the engine compartment (tank area) and the gear stick has a good solid rubber gaiter sealing it.

Ideally these should be the last thing you do because if the smell dissappears after you do either of those things you have only masked the problem, not solved it!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

When I first got my Esprit I had petrol smells that were cured by replacing the breather hose which was damaged in many places. However a few months later I started getting 'exhaust / engine fumes' coming in instead which turned out to be coming in through the rear bulkhead window which wasn't sealed behined the drivers seat. The gap was so big I could stick my fingers through it.

Too many Toys are never enough !

I used to have a smell of petrol inside my cockpit (and outside too). All the breather hoses were replaced, and i thought the engine mixture was too rich, or that the choke was getting stuck.Then about 3 months ago i opened the engine cover after going for a half-hour drive and found petrol dripping from the cover (above the carburettor)!

:)

So i immediately had it towed to my mechanic and he replaced all the fibre washers in the carburettor connections... PROBLEM SOLVED and no more petrol fumes too.

Lesson for the day:

a. Don't ignore petrol fumes.

b. Carry a fire-extinguisher.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Crikey, Paul...you must live right!! Lucky, or what?! It's SO easy to get a fire from petrol leaks around the carbs., with the distributor underneath as an ignitor!! Hope you're changing the fuel hoses regularly, too...even Goodridge hoses have rubber inners which can perish or crack and start leaking...it happened to me!! In a tent!! I shall never forget the sight of all those flames in the rear view mirror...thankfully, the tanks were dry so very little fuel got out and I managed to extinguish the conflagration before it became one!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein