free hit
counters
Front Suspension Lower Ball Joint: Lower Link to Vertical Link - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly

Front Suspension Lower Ball Joint: Lower Link to Vertical Link

Good Afternoon,

Nice day, so decided that my front suspension could do with an overhaul. Taking it apart was not easy with the rust and all. struggling to get rubber bushes out, but can see no way of removing / replacing the ball joint that sits on the outboard end of the Lower Link. It is as if it was built into the the Link when it was assembled. Is this correct or have I missed somethng under the rust?

Thanks for your advice

Grizzly

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Brian, can you confirm what car this is on, if it is an Excel, then the ball joint is pressed into the lower link from below much the same as wheel studs being pressed into hubs. If the car is an Elite as per your status this should be a brass trunnion which is bolted to the lower link.

Dan

Hello Dan,

It's an Excel - I'm refurbishing an Excel Chassis and running gear to put under an Elite body

Brian

Brian,

In that case the ball joint needs to be pressed out, and a new one pressed in using a hydraulic press or similar. It was the same with my 87 Esprit.

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by white87

Thanks Guys,

Now - who would do that for me - any contacts gratefully received - especially if they are in the Manchester area

Brian

Hi Brian, you can replace them yourself if you have a large bench vise, assuming the old ball joint is scrap support the lower link suitably to allow the ball joit to come out of the bottom and knock out with a large hammer, to fit the new ball joints, with some suitable pieces of tube you can press them in using the bench vise, just make sure that you are careful only to press on the outer edge of the ball joint and ensure everything is well supported. If no one comes up with a sugestion for someone local to yourself you could try Mike at lotusbits ie send them to him for refurbishment

Regards Dan